I'd so love to say yes to this beautiful fellow

My neighbour's son today shouted me over the garden fence to show me how his Boa Constrictor was getting along ( yes the same kid who has the fluffy cute tarantula)...this snake is beautiful quite young and seemingly used to being handled...though he has bitten his owner a couple of times...but I had ferrets that bit me quite often too...... guess it comes with the territory and it's not venomous /lmao

Here he is...a magnificent fellow I'm sure you'll agree! Beautiful Boa

Anyway after petting Mr Boa for a while and chatting about how well the snake is doing I was offered him and all his housing for free....:)....the lad is off away on some army training thing and has nobody to look after it.

Now the temptation for me to take this snake on is overwhelming....almost....but I have young kids and although I think snakes are great my youngest is absolutely terrified of it...it's been round here before and he ran screaming and hid!!

This snake has the potential to become over 10 feet and live a looong time and at that size fully grown he could be a powerful old beasty thats for sure....so unless laddo from next door can find an owner for him he's off to the pet shop where hopefuly he'll get a great home and with experienced owners.

But oh man.....it's such an amazing creature...I spent ages talking on irc with Aur and Ari and Lexi about it....hehe thanks for putting up with my deliberating about it /hug

Has anyone here got an experience with boa's? I'd love to hear about it if you have had one or still have one

Guest gogoblender

Erialc, that snake is so cool!

Can I keep it mommy!

heheh, actually yer right...I think it'd easy squish a kid....

or maybe make a meal of one!

Snakes are super cool fer me. I know a lot of peeps keep reptiles and one of my friends has a monitor that's about five feet long.

lol, one day at their cottage ( where it resides) it started thrashing around then was just lying still.

The poor thing was chokin on it's food!

Good dad that my friend's pop is and a real animal lover...

He immedietely started giving the thing mouth to mouth resuscitation!

:)

Few minutes later...the monitor was alive and well where it toddled off to it's nice little rock in the sun lamp.

So..claire....

you prepared to go the distance you?

:)

gogo

awww GoGo...such a sweet guy to rescucitate his lizard...but then again any pet no matter what it is just becomes a part of the family so what else could you do :)

Well I can't really take on the boa as much as I'd like to....and I really would if it was just me....although the kids did meet it again today and even the little one petted it....he didn't run shrieking this time...I think he felt safer with a fence between it and him.

Although he did fall in love with a Leopard Gecko!...photo to come!...she is only a young gecko and extremely sweet!...the gecko is also looking for a new home and I have a sneeking suspicion she'll be coming here /wub

As for Mr.Boa...well he's still next door and comes out on the fence now it's summer with his owner till he goes off on his army thing...so I'll admire him but still have to say no.

I'll let you know about the gecko :)

Any chance of some pics of the Monitor GoGo? pweeeeease!! hehehe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gogoblender

ahhh, I wish I had pics of that monitor erialc, but it was my friend's pet and they kept it up north at their farm/cottage.

lol, I just got around to remembering about the snake and the gecko. That l'il feller you were talkin about sher sounded sweet...

Do yo uguys hvae him yet?

Are you gonna have cool times where you all drop live crickets and stuff into his cage?

:P

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't even need to check out that picture to know how pretty that Boa is. Boas are very beautiful, and they have great dispositions.

My biggest problem with keeping a carnivorous reptile: wheeeeeeeeeew, their doo-doo is wretched! /sick

I kept a Savannah monitor for a while. Nicest reptile you would ever want to meet. Easy-going, calm, and not prone to copping attitudes with anyone warm-blooded. I named him Jake. Jake was cool. Pick him up, and he'd just sit there all calm and relaxed. Never had to worry about those powerful talons. Put him in the casa with a rat, however, and he turned into the terminator. /guns

Eventually, Jake's waste became too much for me to handle. Urgh. Ugh. Made me toss the cookies once or twice. Fortunately for me, a good friend kept a pair of pythons, and had room for Jake.

I tried my hand with an iguana. Ah, now there's something different. They leave little cow-patties. /thumbsup Easy to feed, especially since mine refused to eat meat - wouldn't touch it, not an insect, nor a hamburger. All she ate was yellow squash, spinach, carrots, romaine, etc. She wasn't as calm as Jake, though. She would easily frighten when people she didn't know came around. Let me tell you, I had no idea that lizard could move faster than light when it wanted to!

She ended up bolting out the door one afternoon. I never could find her. /sad

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gogoblender

zomg

tharakane...that post

it's ...repulsive and fascinating all at the same time

ahhh, the power of good writers...

enthralled by horror...

I never knew that about reptiles, Tharhane...

Claire you hearin this?

Chuck the lizzie or...

get nose plugs

:thumpsup:

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Well we didn't end up with the Geko or the Snake sadly they ended up being sold to a pet shop:(

hehe and after reading about the smelliness and also me over coming feeding live crickets etc to a geko maybe it's not so bad lol

Yeah I like cats!...maybe I trip to the cat shelter would be a good idea!...a nice old saggy old fat cat would be cool hahah sounds liek I am looking for bagpuss eh :P

(lol I keep saying I'll go to the cat shelter)

Guest gogoblender

]ayup...I'm sher the kids will go fer a new widdle kittee...

And they're great fer lyin atop of you when yer readin a book and listenin to the crack of a fireplace

:D

gogo