Need help from random musicfans!

Arperum

OK, thing is I listened on youtube too some random playlist with lots of good music in it...

The last song is damn good, but I can't find who is playing it... the description says it is cradle of filth, but it doesn't sound like them, the thing is called Celtic front, but doesn't sound like them either!

And the worst of all is that I now want to hear ore of the good stuff and don't know for a bit what I'm listening too...

Any help in getting rid in my musical hunger for more of this song? Or some band anyone can suggest me that sound quite alike?

I listened to a couple other clips of them on youtube, but they sound completely different... I completely confused by this movie... It says celtic frost, but doesn't sound like them, the description on youtube says it's cradle of filth, but these also sound different...

... some more searches later...

I found it! it seems it actually IS cradle of filth, but together with dimmu borgir, and the song is named "frost"... gonna kill youtube for making it this hard for finding what I want (or maybe I should revive my searching skills...)

although on the other clips of it, it seems like noone can believe it is cradle of filth/dimmu borgir... because it doesn't sound like any of them...

edit: OK... ik gets worse... now it seems it is in fact neverdead, :):whip::mad: this stuff is getting really confusing...

Edited by Arperum

I am only interested in Norwegian Black/Death metal so not to surprising I was wrong here although Dimmu are norwegian, what kind of music are your favorite?

I listen to a hell lot of different metal, Korpiklaani, Blind Guardian and amon amarth are pretty damn high in my list of good bands...

In fact I'm also waiting until some crazy imbecil gets the idea of combining Flemish folk with metal...Everytime my dad toggles one of his cd's on I have something like "hey that would be good if someone added a nice drum and changed/added some volcals too it!"

But give me some names of stuff you like and I *will* try it out to see if I like it.

Best Mayhem to start with is easily De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, their best album, by far.

I don't actually like anything else by them.

Satyricon is a good entrypoint for Black Metal. You work backwards through the albums.

Spunky, why do you only like Norwegian Black Metal?

Sweden have put out some good stuff in their time, and East Europe's currently making the best Black Metal around.

:D

~Doom

I agree with you there on Mayhem and DMDS, but I also like Wolf's Lair Abyss and Chimera.

Almost all(if not all) the old albums is good by Norwegian Black Metal bands. Some great examples: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse , Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Gehenna - Seen Through The Veils Of Darkness, Gorgoroth - Pentagram, Ancient - Svartalvheim.

The scene now is good, but it can't beat what we had in the early 90's.

The reason I'm not that into bands from other countries is that it is almost impossible to find interesting stuff among all the crap, I have some bands I find interesting from other countries but not many.

Edited by Spunky
Almost all(if not all) the old albums is good by Norwegian Black Metal bands. Some great examples: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse , Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Gehenna - Seen Through The Veils Of Darkness, Gorgoroth - Pentagram, Ancient - Svartalvheim.

Someone else who values Hvis Lyset Tar Oss more than Filosofem?!

I thought I was the only one.

In The Nightside Eclipse is the best old school Black metal album made.

Also worth noting are Dødheimsgard - Kronet Til Konge, Aura Noir - Deep Tracts Of Hell, Immortal- At the Heart of Winter, Mysticum - In The Streams of Inferno, Windir - Arntor and Ulver - Bergtatt.

The reason I'm not that into bands from other countries is that it is almost impossible to find interesting stuff among all the crap, I have some bands I find interesting from other countries but not many.

In that case I'd recommend, most of the Ukranian and Polish scenes especially Drudkh, Graveland and Astrofaes, Forest Silence (Hungary.) The German scene, especially Wolfchant, Brocken Moon, Moonblood (They're defunct and the only way of obtaining their music is digitally, especially as they limited all their recordings to small numbers, it's good though)

Also, France, the traditional bands like Mütiilation, Vlad Tepes and the rest of Les Légions Noires, and a large Depressive/Suicidal Black Metal Scene.

But my personal favourites are Peste Noire (and any other bands/projects involving Neige) and OOO an obscure industrial Black Metal band, released one (very very good) demo, again only available on the interwebs nowadays.

Finally, Darkspace (hailing from Switzerland) are well worth a listen.

:paladin:

~Doom

I see that you know your way around good old albums, I have all of those you listed up and much more.

Other relics of the past are: Fester - Winter of Sin(Death Metal), Cadaver - ...In Pains(Death Metal), Enslaved - Frost(more viking then black actually, but anyway a solid album), Hades - Alone Walkyng and The Dawn of the dying Sun.

I just love old demos, that's the ulitmate listening for me to hear how the band started out.

Have you heard of the band Incarnator? found the original demo cassette a couple a months ago, only two songs but damn how solid it was, to bad it never came out a full-length from those guys.

I will have to look into some of the bands you listed up, and see if I can find some good stuff.

If we're talking obscure demos I've discovered:

Dies Irae - Circle of Leth, one of the strangest pieces of black metal ever made, but incredible, why they weren't signed is a mystery to me.

Tenebras Omnia Vincit - Hostility, Violence, Imagination

Grimm - Nordisk Vinter

Also, the Satyricon/Enslaved split is brilliant, It's The Forest Is My Throne/Yggdrassil.

And I forgot to mention Satanic Warmaster last post, some of the best Black Metal around in my opinion, best album is Carelian Satanist Madness.

Also, Thyrfing are a brilliant band, began as definite Viking Metal but have become blacker and blacker as their career progressed, all their stuff is worth a listen.

:)

~Doom

Dies Irae are indeed a strange piece of classical black metal, have tried to find it but have had no luck so far.

Tenebras Omnia Vincit, have heard of the band, but have never heard the music, any idea where I could find a copy of their demo?

I think I have heard the Grimm demo.

Yup, the Satyricon/Enslaved demos are great, as is the first 3 Satyricon albums too, and the 2 first from Enslaved.

Have heard some songs from Satanic Warmaster and what I heard was not bad at all, Thyrfing needs to be looked into further.