Melee Ice Elf Build Discussion

RyanKO14

Well this is my first post here on the forums and well I have been playing for a few weeks and have struggled to really find a character that I like and have been trying out so many different builds but when I played the High Elf I knew it could be good but I prefer more like a battlemage character who also uses melee which is why I never used her much. I played as an ice/fire elf combo and when I discovered that with Crystal Skin up I could regenerate more HP than my opponents could take off I thought it was godly so I decided to make a melle elf that slaughters foes and can heal at the same time. I came up with this build recently when I wanted to start with a new guy however this build has not been properly tested and so I dont know how well she will function in platinum and niob but here we go.

#1 Attrbutes

Intelligence - 100%

#2 Skills

1.Concentration-1

2.Delphic Arcania Lore100

3.Mystic Stormite Focus-100

4.Armor Lore-100

5.Mage Staffs-75

6.Delphic Arcania Focus-100

7.Bargaining-75

8.Tactics Lore-75

9. Constitution-75

10. Optional

Now there is lots more skills points you can allocate I just think that the points I listed are a good minimum for each skill. Now this seems like the pyro melee build in skills just edited slightly and thats well because it is. I based the build off it to an extent. Anyway we only want 1 point in concentration so we can have CS and GI active at the same time.Armor Lore is taken nice an early and should be kept at your characters level for a while because that with CS provides godly defences. We want DA Focus so we can have a nice and high level of GI. I chose Mage staffs over swords because you will want to pump points into INT which increases there damage and the damage of your spells.

#3 Combat Arts:

Delphic Arcania Aspects

Magic Coup - Target Focus - Life Leech - Stray Damage

Shadow Step - Phase Shift - Sanctuary - Explosion

Expulse Magic - Expansion - Pentagram - Protection

Grand Invigoration - Mystic Stormite Expertise - Life Energy - Resilence

Mystic Stormite Aspects

Crystal Skin - Glacial Mirror - Feel Cold - Frosty Breez

Glacial Thorns - Fusillade - Pierce - Fusillade

Cascading Shroud - Faint - Inconspicuous - Steam

#4 Overview

Well thats the barebones of this character I dont know if it should all stack accordingly like pumping points into INT to increase mage staff damage and spell damage and I think Magic Coup damage is also increased by it but if anyone can help with this I would like to know and if it gets good revies ill test it out and add more so thanks everyone.

I am running melee elf as well (level 83), and from this I can tell:

1) fire aspect is MUCH better for melee elf. The reason for this is simply becouse melee reflection works with all kind of damage, not only with physical. We want to be effective with everything tha game throws at us, and crystal skin doesn't provide that.

2) no shield lore = fail. Rare shield with "chance to block: close combat" is melee elf main defence (currently 64%/70% block plat/niob with 18% from mastery)

3) tactics lore has no effect on Magic Coup

As for staffs, that might be a good idea since elf has high natural int growth, but I prefer to stick with swords (no weapon lore is also perfeclty viable)

Hi Ryan, and welcome to DarkMatters. As you have posted in your topic here that your build isn't tested, I've moved it to the High Elf Discussion area. Once you're confident of your build, have tested it and are wanting it to be submitted as a true, tested build, please pm me, and we can move it back into the High Elf Builds section so that others may consider it for their own builds.

Cheers

:)

gogo

If an enemy strikes at you:

You try to reflect it, block it, evade it, defend it.

If you are hit damage mitigation jumps in, then resistances and what is left reaches your hitpoints.

As an Ice Elf you don't have reflect, but you don't have block from shield lore too, and that are 2 big holes in your first defense line.

If you don't have already started I can give you a link to the build my daughter used to test out several combat arts of the elf, it is a full ice elf, and can be played melee style if you optimize your equipment for it. For melee style she can use fire skin and in hybrid playstyle fire skin and ice spells or each variant.

She calls the character : The Shield maiden, a valkyrie from the land of fire and ice. Read post 9 for the shield maiden.

The idea was to use a single character to combine a lot of variants.

There are several reasons that a melee elf doesn't really need a weapon skill:

attack speed for magic coup is arcane lore

hit chance you get from bronce modifier and magic coup has a build in hit chance, which comes to work the better you are in magic coup

double hit from weapon skill mastery don't work for magic coup

too high level in a weapon only reduces attack speed, which is not needed for MC, see above

there are nearly none modifiers on weapons you need to be unlocked for magic coup, most unique weapons have all unlocked

Tactics lore adds nothing to the damage of magic coup, it is just for left clicks.

So if you want to play melee elf with the build, just socket some runes with 'enemy can't evade' or stuff like this to raise your hit chance. She never died with the character and is level 140+ now. Since she is only near 11 and was choosing english only as her 3rd language, I doubt that she will be able to write a full guide in near future (2 weeks english now, just started after summerbreaks). We play the PC-versions with no experience from consoles.

So feel free to do a mix of your idea, her idea and your experience with consoles and transform it into something useful as a guide for console players.

There are too much differences now between the console and the AddOn for PC(It's out here in germany). So I dare to give advices nowadays for game variants I do not play myself.

Main Differences for melee elves:

Console has still the high reflected melee damage from PC 2.34/2.40

Console has not the stronger monsters in PC 2.64

Console has not yet staves which can shoot (PC 2.64) with left clicks ( sadly no shooting with magic coup)

Alchemy which I use for my own Melee-elves is ugly to use on consoles

Consoles have more room for orbs and more hotkeys, PC has only 4 (AddOn 5)

So a guide for consoles would be really nice, the difference sadly became bigger and bigger.

Edited by chattius
  • 1 month later...

ok well chattius I used your build and tampered with it a bit and got this

2.DA Lore[4]

3.Concentration[10]

5.DA Fcous[3]

8.Armour Lore[5]

12.MS Focus[1]

18.MS Lore[2]

25.Shield Lore[6]

35.Constitution[9]

50.Ancient Magic[8]

65.Bargaining[7]

GI-Buff: ice[1], life regeneration[2],?[6]

Magic coup: hit chance[3], life leech[4], stray damage[5]

raging nimbus: hurricane[6], roar[7], extended nimbus[8]

glacial thorns: fussillade[3], pierce[4], fussillade[5]

crystal skin: mirror[1], focalize[2], frosty breeze[9]

The numbers in the []'s are the order you should mod or take to mastery. I'm going to give it ago because I heard a respectable leveled CS coupled with armour lore mastery is suppusedly very powerful. I like using the ice skills for damage too and are mainly for mob killing until I fully mod MC then ill use a combination of both. So ill start testing it now until the release of forza 3 and modern warfare 2 so I hope to have it in the 100's by then