Sacred 2 - Game Crash

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on a recent problem I have encountered whilst running about Ancaria...

I've had no problems recently and was happily playing away when all of a sudden the screen froze and sound became stuck in a loop. It seemed as if the graphics driver had "stopped working properly". I left it, but to no avail, and so restarted my computer. I now can't be in-game (including at the menus) for more than a minute before the same happens.

It's getting really frustrating, as I have done everything I can think of, including uninstalling and revoking the game, before reinstalling and re-updating it. I have the most up to date drivers for my system, and as I said, have had no real problems prior to this as my system is more than up to the task.

I had similar problems after installing 2.43 patch. nVidia driver keeps "not responding" then recovering. I've googled and the answer to the problem is:

1. Update driver.

2. Vista error.

3. Heat related.

4. RAM related.

5. Bad video card

Take your pick. All either fix the problem or don't, depending upon your particular situation.

Me, I lean toward a driver problem, and incompatability with Sacred 2 2.43, possibly related to how the gpu handles certain DX10 calls. I think (no proof) there is something wrong with the way nvidia handles some DX 10 functions, and that 2.43 is using the buggy code. As I haven't had play time in a month, I have not investigated. I plan to roll back to 2.40 and play SP as a test. The problem started for me as soon as I put in 2.43 Of course this is all moot if you have a Radeon card. Then again . . .

Hmmm... I figured I'd give it a try this morning, after the computer has had some down-time... and it seems to (touch wood, fingers crossed etc!) be working. Thus I'm leaning towards probably a heat related issue...

@gial

Thanks for the options, but as I said, I've never had an issue with it before and my drivers are up to date so the system related reasons shouldn't come into it... As for Vista, well, thats another story :P

Edit: It's now not working again so gonna try rolling back to 2.40 and see what happens...

Edited by dickyb88

My remarks were intended to not offer solutions, but rather to illustrate that the solution is unknown. I've researched the error and on many forums find each recommendation is either:

a) the right solution; or,

b) completely inappropriate.

No one seems to know what is causing this. It seems to be gaming related -- I've seen posts elsewhere with problems with other new games as well.

As I said, I suspect a driver problem, but a bug that has not been corrected even in the latest drivers -- a very subtle bug with DX10 implementation since it seems to be Vista and only newer games.

Heya dickyb. What kind of hardware are you using? Specifically your soundcard? Are you using an Audigy by chance?

P.s.

Try turning off Physx from the Graphics menu if you are able to.

The system I'm running is an Intel core duo @ 2.66GHz, with 2Gb RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT card, and as for the S/C I don't know, just the one that came with the PC. I have tried turning all the settings down to minimum, and turning all the extra's off, but it didn't work.

I have had the problem occasionally with other games since it first appeared, but never so frequently as with Sacred, most notably with Company of Heroes....