Guest gogoblender

zomg

lol, great...

when can I get one?

I love the way this was done...I love catalogues of cool products like this...I'm gettin ideas on how we can improve our catalogue of d.a.r.k. products and sales division

*mwoolhahhah)

/devil

gogo

/shok /shok

it would have freaked me out if I hadnt read that it was a joke first

/wacko

be kewl though imagine your spiritual and imaginative pet

/devil

~Doom

read the bit about the zygotes or something.. a bit unlikely we dotn have that level of tech as far as I know /blink

:D

~Doom

Guest gogoblender

Reminds me of that movie that came out called the Island

This corporation was just calling them Zygotes or soemthing.

And becuase they created them they came to believe that anything they created had no "soul"

This thinking allowed them to think that they were entitled to give out as much pain and suffering to beings in front of them that clearly showed that they would chose not to undergo such suffering.

SCary future coming so fast...

/unsure

gogo

now I'm scared check the links to national geographic it shows Zygote thingys exist /oooo /oooo

~Doom

Guest gogoblender

heh, yeah I clicked on that one too....

that was what chilled me about this whole thing.

ACtually...the entire ad for this genpet could be reactionary to what was first discussed in National Geographic

A subtly genius but brilliant way of making commentary on the bringing forth of the Chimeras

gogo

Wow full on... reading the what who where how thing really shed some light on it. That is a scary concept for the generation to follow us... when did having a mouse or a pet fish become so mundane I wonder? I guess I missed that boat. id still like a pet mouse....

But I love the idea of this sort of thing as social experiment. its amazing if advertised correctly to the right target audience how hard people fall for things like this. And the craze it can instill in people. It is baffling really.

But I love the idea of this sort of thing as social experiment. its amazing if advertised correctly to the right target audience how hard people fall for things like this. And the craze it can instill in people. It is baffling really.

Fascinating experiment indeed!

I'm a pretty open minded person as persons go which makes it difficult for me to "take sides". This Genpet thing had me tearing myself apart. Initially, the scientist in me jumped up and said: Wow! Cool! And then some moments later the humanitarian in me noticed the irritated skin on the Genpet where the restraining ties were rubbing and thought: Wait a sec... Something is very wrong." I like what the artist wrote in his "After Thoughts" here:

After Thoughts

The piece is meant to illicit a reaction, though many times it gets a very scary positive acceptance from teens + resellers. When I designed Genpets, I had no clue how people would react. It disturbed me to see such a positive acceptance of Genpets by people who wanted to buy a genetic pet. There are of course people that get Genpets and what I am getting at, as well as those that “cried upon seeing them”. Overall though, Genpets.com has been swamped with emails from people wanting to buy a pre-packaged pet.

As many have said, this proves the importance and relevance of Genpets as an art piece. It baffles me how one generation can be banging at a store window in absolute protest and outrage, while the younger is crying out and demanding I sell them.

The traffic and debates that develop from having Genpets displayed is always interesting, and while it’s not what I originally intended, part of making artwork is understanding that once it is public, it is out of the artist’s control. People will all interpret it differently, and come to their own conclusions.

It's my belief that this sort of creation WILL eventually come about. In fact, after reading about Genpets and the idea behind the creation, it makes it almost seem more likely that against the belief of the film The Matrix, we will enslave not a large population of robots but instead custom designed worker mammals. In all honesty and as the artist of Genpets suggests, we already have...

Animal laws

People always cite animal laws to me in an attempt to point out that there would be so much moral outrage over Genpets it could never occur. I'm not sure why this comes up so often, but it does. To those people I say this: take a trip to a farm, or the testing labs for dog food, makeup, etc. Don't ever quote animal protection rights to me or I'll kick you in the teeth. I don't hug trees; so don't hug the belly of a rock.

We already package and strap down animals, pump them full of drugs, and hook various tubes into them. When we can take natural animals and legally label them ‘product’ and strip away all animal rights, why would a genetically modified organism with patented DNA made by a large corporation be given more rights? It just wouldn’t happen.

Guest gogoblender

I"m so sad to hear myself saying this...but genpets will come.

And the more I think about it the more of a certainty I believe it will be.

My prayers for all the little creatures we make.

I will also say a prayer in hopes that they can be created so that they will suffer less pain and future cruelties for all our progress

/sad

gogo

Edited by gogoblender:

The folllowing link to Bonsai Kitten while simply parody can seem rather cruel in it's depiction of considered humor. Spoiler warning for anyone from this community so that BEFORE you click on that link and make the choice to read and access the information...be aware...

you have been warned.

This reminds me of the "Bonsai Kitten" website :D

http://www.shorty.com/bonsaikitten/

BUt yes, those this stuf is parody now, it will be reality someday. :D