Emergency! Surprise! Awh crap Propagation...

Heyas all and for some if not many... Welcome back!

Yesterday gogo and I recieved an email from our host provider stating that he would be performing an emergency move of our sites to a new server. Moving from one server to another is a complicated matter the most complicated of which is propagation. Bleh. We're very very sorry for the trouble this has/will cause and if there was anything we could have done we certainly would have. Normally in the case of a server move we would expect 3 days to a week notice but this time we were only given 12 hours notice...

All this to say that there will be some lost posts and sadly wiki edits as well due to this change. Our very sincere apologies to Lady Fantasy in particular. We know that you had put a great deal of work on the wiki very recently and also noticed that that work has been lost during the server move. :P Hopefully no one else has lost important work but if so we are very sorry.

On to the propagation nonsense. For those not familiar with the term here is a quote from an article that sums it up fairly well:

What is DNS propagation and why does it take so long?

The downside to this caching scenario and what makes it take so long for your website to be visible to everyone, is that each company or ISP that caches DNS records only updates them every few days. This is not any kind of standard, and they can set this time anywhere from a few hours to several days. The slow updating of the servers cache is called propagation, since your websites DNS information is now being propagated across all DNS servers on the web. When this is finally complete, everyone can now visit your new website. Being that the cache time is different for all servers, as mentioned above, it can take anywhere from 36 to 72 hours for DNS changes to be totally in effect.

It may take another couple of days before we are back to normal so until then I would suggest you keep a backup of important posts or wiki work.

Cheers all and sincere apologies.

Schot and gogo

Just edited a post, re-edited it due to the loss, then see it again with the first update, so my second one was a waste, but nothing really annoying so far.

Anyway, the wiki is much more important than my lil topic.

This surprise propagation has completely taken us by surprise. Sorry everyone :) about this. I was wondering where everyone was on Saturday, and it was strange not seeing hardy an guests or member at all that day... and then I guess the propogation took a leap and we were beginning to see friendlies again.

Apparently these new servers are significantly faster than the old ones... so with this pain I guess came some gain?

:P

gogo