Win xp, or Vista, or win7

locolagarto

O.k. I got all new gear coming from newegg for a new Pentium i5 2.66 Ghz quad with 4 gb of ram. gonna use my vid card GTX260 and monitor keyboard etc... wondering what operating system I should install. I have good copies of xp and vista. Does Sacred2 seem to favor one over the other.

So this is the system I originally bought and built:

Case Apevia

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811144102

Memory 4Gb Gskill

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231193

Hard Drive WD Caviar Black 640 GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136319

Video Card BFG GTX260

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143198

CPU Intel i5 750 2.66Ghz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115215

Motherboard ASRock P55 Extreme

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813157172

Powersupply Apevia 700w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817148040

Display LG 2230 1080p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824005136

And looked like this

100_2007.jpg

Then I began the upgrades:

CPU cooler Thermal Take QSPIN for much better CPU cooling since I am overclocking to 3.8 Ghz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835106123

Second GFX Card BFG GTX260 because, well...... just because!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143198

More Memory from Gskill if 4Gb is good 8 has to be better right

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231193

and Finally a new Much Better Case, the Antec Nine Hundred two becuse the old case was horrible at cooling! and after adding the second GFX card temps went out of control

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129058

And now it looks like this in with the new and out with the old:

100_2085.jpg

And I did a much better job of cable management this time. This new case is amazing and I wish I had not tryed to safe $50 the first time by buying a cheap case. this thing dropped my idle and loaded temps by 10-15 degrees with the fans on low instead of high. Its nice and quiet. the top fan is 240mm! for those like me that couldn't comprehend how big it is. 1ft is close to 300mm. so yeah is like 8in in diameter. :viking:

I would have to say XP, never had ANY problems with it except one time but that was because of an error of a patch.

I would say XP, then again I ALWAYS say XP.

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

I was thinking that too. Vista is such a memory hog. how much Ram will XP recognize? will it function on a new gen quad core?

Win 7 is only 7-10% faster than Vista, which was AT BEST 40% slower than XP. (Vista = pathetic) I would go XP 64bit and put at least 4gb in your machine.

I have XP 64bit with 4gb ram and it run great. If you have the money, opt for a SSD for just the operating system. I hear it makes the OS scream.

Win 7 is only 7-10% faster than Vista, which was AT BEST 40% slower than XP. (Vista = pathetic) I would go XP 64bit and put at least 4gb in your machine.

I have XP 64bit with 4gb ram and it run great. If you have the money, opt for a SSD for just the operating system. I hear it makes the OS scream.

SSD?

Whoops a quick search at new egg reveals I do not have the money. the whole system I ordered Mobo, i5 quad 2.66 CPU, 4 gb Ram, 650 gb HDD, 700 watt powersupply, Case was less the 700 bucks

An SSD is almost that much alone.

Don't think I have 64 bit XP. only 32Bit back to new egg for another search

Edited by locolagarto

SSD?

Whoops a quick search at new egg reveals I do not have the money. the whole system I ordered Mobo, i5 quad 2.66 CPU, 4 gb Ram, 650 gb HDD, 700 watt powersupply, Case was less the 700 bucks

well XP 32bit here and 4 gig ram so no problem imo

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

SSD?

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Just a minor detail: 4GB with 32-bit is impossible, at max you'll get ~3.25MB :viking:

For Sacred 2, I'd stick with XP 32-bit. Drivers for XP 64-bit are a pain.

However, with all the new games coming out (DX10/10.1/11), and the fact that XP is 8 years old now, I'd go with 7.

No Vista, because Vista is utterly crappy, it's sluggish and a memory hog.

And one of the best points about 7: Don't worry about drivers, it's not like the introduction of Vista. Drivers for 7 should be an easy fix: the driver model is identical to that in Vista so everything with a Vista driver should also work in 7. And given the fact that it's been a while since Vista's out, there will be drivers.

SSD?

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Just a minor detail: 4GB with 32-bit is impossible, at max you'll get ~3.25MB :viking:

For Sacred 2, I'd stick with XP 32-bit. Drivers for XP 64-bit are a pain.

However, with all the new games coming out (DX10/10.1/11), and the fact that XP is 8 years old now, I'd go with 7.

No Vista, because Vista is utterly crappy, it's sluggish and a memory hog.

And one of the best points about 7: Don't worry about drivers, it's not like the introduction of Vista. Drivers for 7 should be an easy fix: the driver model is identical to that in Vista so everything with a Vista driver should also work in 7. And given the fact that it's been a while since Vista's out, there will be drivers.

I thought there were some win 7 problems with regard to sacred2?

These problems have supposedly been corrected with the 2.65.1 patch. Can't test it right now for 2 reasons :

1. I didn't install the patch yet (I don't have time to play right now)

2. I don't have Windows 7 yet.

Soooo, if someone here has Windows 7 with Sacred 2 version 2.65.1, please come and tell us if the Windows 7 problems have been fixed. :viking:

Max

These problems have supposedly been corrected with the 2.65.1 patch. Can't test it right now for 2 reasons :

1. I didn't install the patch yet (I don't have time to play right now)

2. I don't have Windows 7 yet.

Soooo, if someone here has Windows 7 with Sacred 2 version 2.65.1, please come and tell us if the Windows 7 problems have been fixed. :viking:

Max

Is 2.65 out for uk yet?

Is 2.65 out for uk yet?

No, not as I'm typing this, but it might come out this Friday, along with the Ice & Blood release on Steam HERE. I already have the patch because I play with the French version.

Back on topic : as soon as I'm able to get a new computer, I'm gonna go with Windows 7 all the way.

Max

Well I had to go with Vista for now. My XP install wouldn't activate and I was to impatient to deal with microsoft or wait for win 7 so I used the Vista Home install I have. when Win7 is good to go with sacred I'll look at an upgrade as I would really like to see what a 64bit OS can do with a serious 64-bit rig.

By the wy the build went great. but for some reason my WD USB external 600Gb drive is acting up. and that is where I keep all my downloads and extra stuff. including the Sacred install, Ice and Blood install, and all the patches . So now I have to start over with almost all the downloads. I was able to find some on my old system.

Well after Dealing with 2 installs of windows, my external HD with all the Sacred stuff on it going MIA, and all the windows and software upgrades . She is done and rolling. Runs Sacred on High Video settings at 75 fps never dips below 45 fps .

At 1:00 P.M. I started with this:

100_2006.jpg

and by 11:00 P.M We had this ready to play Sacred2.

100_2007.jpg

For those who are into the tech side:

ASRock P55 Extreme Mobo with 3 PCIE slots with support for SLI and Crossfire

Intel i5 750 processor 2.66 GHZ

4Gb Gskill 1600 Ghz Ram DDR3 PC12800

Western Digital 650 GB Black HDD

BFG GTX260 Nvidia 896MB Graphics card

APEVIA X-Plorer Silent Case with 700 Watt Apevia power Supply

All parts from Newegg.com for under $850 Total

Nice rig, especially for under 1k$ :agreed:

As far as OS go, XP 32bit is best for Sacred 2, XP 64bit is a no-no in any case, ditto for Vista, and 7 is a decent choice for modern PCs.

I think I have never heard more bad comments on any OS than I have on Vista. Windows Me should be pretty close I think.

Nice rig, especially for under 1k$ :)

As far as OS go, XP 32bit is best for Sacred 2, XP 64bit is a no-no in any case, ditto for Vista, and 7 is a decent choice for modern PCs.

I think I have never heard more bad comments on any OS than I have on Vista. Windows Me should be pretty close I think.

XP was my first choice. after the install I couldn't get it to activate. both of the keys I had cam up invalid. they were old corperate copies from my last job. So I had to go with what I had at the time. I would klove to see what win7 64bit would do with a real 64bit machine.

Awesome buy!

I wish I had that processor, ahwell next year maybe :agreed:

I'm now focusing on getting a second screen :bounce:

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

And it glows with T-Energy!!LOL :woot:

And it glows with T-Energy!!LOL :agreed:

Hehe, careful it doesn't mutate on yah loco. :bounce:

I'd like to say the best choice is Win 7 but I haven't tested it yet. I bought Win 7 64bit a few weeks ago and it's been sitting in my room for quite a while. Just been too nervous to make the switch. Vista kinda traumatized me, heh. I do have a spare partition which I have XP running on so I guess I'll experiment on it and see how it goes.

Such a waste on the case though :bounce: (it's personal, I know) you've got all that great hardware and you stick it in such a plastic case... :agreed: lol NOFI :woot:

My Top 3 from Newegg would have been:

Sileo 500: big fans (= low noise) and sound proofing on the inside

Silverstone LC10: Lovely clean HTPC case

Silverstone Raven: because that's just the coolest case EVARR

And it glows with T-Energy!!LOL :agreed:

Hehe, careful it doesn't mutate on yah loco. :bounce:

I'd like to say the best choice is Win 7 but I haven't tested it yet. I bought Win 7 64bit a few weeks ago and it's been sitting in my room for quite a while. Just been too nervous to make the switch. Vista kinda traumatized me, heh. I do have a spare partition which I have XP running on so I guess I'll experiment on it and see how it goes.

Let me know how it goes. I was thinking about the upgrade anyway just didn't want to wait to get this

PC up and running.

• 2 months later...