Cruising around the Galaxy screens, it's hard not to notice that a lot of users tend to use themes in the names they choose for their planets. What sort of naming scheme (if any) do you use and why:)

I started off making up names without rhyme or reason... but then part way through my colony building I decided to change it and renamed my colonies that were established and name my future colonies with adaptations of beetle family names (with the exception of my original planet, it's still its original name). Why'd I do this? Because I'm a geek and my area of study is insects... and I'm particularily fond of beetles.

What's your story?

Mine are all named after planets from the TV series Firefly and the movie Serenity. I'm glad that I can only have 9 planets as I was running out of good names by the time I got the 9th colony!

I didn't named mines by any theme. I guess I pick the first thing come on my mind. My planet names are proof this :)

here they are: troleybus - otobus - kamasullah - kamasull - restroom - sofa - couch - temp

I didn't remember the one of them, I couldn't connect to ogame right now, looks like there is a server problem or something. I will add it later.

edit: last planet name is "kuzu"

All my planets are named with Latin words that either represent what the planet looks like, or what the plant will be used for.

For example, Arista Diem means harvest day, and it's used specifically for building and sending out recyclers. My HP is Sidra, meaning starborn... and I thought it was a good name for the starting planet of the game. :)

for anyone that knows me and my passion for chemistry. my planets are named after the first 9 elements, and my planets are adjusted every time I delete a colony so that they are all in teh correct order in the drop down box at the top of the screen but yeah I use the latin names for the first 9 elements of the periodic table!

Guest gogoblender
Haha, I love that, Dan!

Do you use the element name or symbol?

Genius!

heh, my names I think are just culled from boox and movies I"ve seen I guess...nothin really all that special cept for my big planet out in the Rim...

my first colony....

a 302 fielder...

Blendarian Prime

:)

gogo

Haha, I love that, Dan!

Do you use the element name or symbol?

I use the Latin names for the elements, Hydor - Hydrogen, Helios - Helium, Lithos - lithium, berylion - berylium, brah - boron, Carbo - carbon, ntriron - nitrogen, oxys - oxygen and Fluo - fluorine

its quite sad but I think they make cool names for planets, I was thinking about using precious metals names, like aurum - gold, argyrum - silver and platos - platinum, but the first 9 elements work well enough.

The elements are no sadder than my beeltes :(

Corvalon -> Home planet, hasn't been renamed into the theme

Dytisca -> from Dytiscidae; predaceous diving beetles

Hydrophila -> from Hydrophilidae; water scavenger beetles

Nitidulus -> from Nitidulidae; sap beetles

Gyrinus -> from Gyrinidae; whirligig beetles

Silphira -> from Silphidae; carrion beetles

Cerambyca -> from Cerambycidae; longhorned beetles

Erotylon -> from Erotylidae; pleasing fungus beetles

Lucianin -> from Lucanidae; stag beetles

I think I may go ahead and change the HP name too... Coleoptris... It'll break with the family theme, but I think that the home planet being named for all beetles makes sense :)