What's the best Virus protection program?

beulahkilborn781

I have used many virus programs and am currently using AVG. However, I am tired of AVG's persistent naggings of version upgrades as they usually are worse than the last. I'm not being cheap, these are free upgrades. This one is definitely worse, and after trying it I went back to 8.5. The newest one beats the heck out of my hard drive all the time and I won't have it. It's too bad I have AVG on three computers here, and all for a year more to go with paid subscriptions. Oh well.

Also, I have had several issues that AVG never caught through the years of using it. I believe it is a highly over rated program.

So, any good suggestions?

I've used AVG and was happy with it but I am currently using Avast!. The latest version seems fine but the previous starting flagging important files as infected. Avast also freaks the wife out late at night because it talks when it updates its database.

Boooo, 3rd party antivirus is baaaaad.

I think Windows Defender + Router + Browser Security + Smart Browsing is the best way to go. Everytime I read about a 3rd party antivirus it's usually in the context of some sort of problem... Personally I haven't used 3rd party antivirus or firewalls in 7 years and I've managed just fine. Putting it plainly, I'm a huge 3rd party antivirus and firewall naysayer and think they are a total scam built on user fears.

Ultimately, the place where you need security most is on your browser. We don't need to bog down our OS since it's the browser that's providing an entrance for viruses in the majority of situations. Firefox is pretty good with it's security and there are addons for it that add even more security. Google helps us out a lot too by blocking as many malicious sites as it can.

Once you have all your security in place the only thing left is to browse carefully. Like Timo mentioned, don't go to sites you don't know a lot about. Or if you really want to go to an unknown site research it first. Type it's URL as a search criteria and read only pages that discuss the site. If it's a bad one someone will have documented it.

Of course Emails are a nasty source of viruses too so you gotta be careful about those. In general it's suggested to not open attachments or images unless you're 100% sure about the source. Just because a friend is sending you something doesn't make it safe. The most common virus from emails is one that uses a friend's or family member's email address to send itself.

Ok, I'm done preaching now... ^^

• 4 weeks later...

You want to know the best virus protection program?

Well, that's easy actually. You have it all the time with you and it doesn't need any installation. You even don't run it on the computer. It's right between your ears.

There is no best virusprogram. They all do the same work. It's more a matter of taste. There are some differences between them. One would cause more false positives then the other or is more updated. However, I would suggest not to take any Norton programs, as they are very heavy in use. Your computer becomes slow when using norton.

I use myself Avira Antivir personal edition. It is a freeware virusscanner. Avira also have versions which you have to pay for. Antivir personal edition is light in use and updates every day. The only downside is an one time pop up that shows up when it is updating, but there is a trick to remove that popup permantly.

One little warning when using virus programs; do not use more then one.

A few of us lately have gone to MS essentials. it is free, no addes, updates regularly and so far with my system 3.8Ghz 8Gb ram I don't have any resource issues. (LOL , so far I haven't found anything to be to resource heavy yet)

I also made the switch to Microsoft Security Essentials. It's too early for me to give an opinion, but it's looking good. You guys convinced me to try this program.

Max