Spell Resistance - Testing Regarding Critical Hits

This morning I was translating something about the Spell Resistance, which can reduce incoming damage of spells. Well, I've done a test and I've got quite interesting conclussions. As I'm really hooked with Shadow Warrior, I decided to see what were the benefits of the Spell Resistance gained from Grim Resilience. So I torment my Shadow Warrior a little, letting him to be hit by this purple eye from the cursed forest 50 times without the buff and another 50 times with the buff on. These were the results:

w/o buff --> 4 hits missed, 38 normal hits and 8 critical hits

with buff --> 4 hits missed, 27 hits reduced, 13 normal hits and 6 critical hits (5 of them reduced, as they actually dealt less damage than a normal hit)

If we say that the missed hits (it was quite odd, because the lighting stroke me and it didn't deal damage or additional damage, but it did DoT as normally) and the critical hits have nothing to do with Spell Resistance, then the Shadow Warrior without buff, with only 258 spell resistance would have reduced 0% of the incoming spells, whereas the Shadow Warrior with the buff on (1310 spell resistance) would have reduced 69.56% of them (32 hits out of 46).

Hey,

Interesting tests :unsure:

After reading your post, I decided to test it myself with my nature dryad against a flying draconic thing :

With active GGT : Willpower 2567 - Spell R. 2803

All hits have do damage+LL

Damage : 117 - Crit damage : 162 / No effect on life leech

Without GGT : Willpower 257 - Spell R. 26x

All hits have do damage+LL

Damage : 167 - Crit damage : 225

It seems that Spell R. reduce the incoming damage from spell but don't BLOCK them.

Check if your Shadow Warrior have this bonus : Chances to block : Combat arts xx% or Chances to reflet combat arts xx%.

OR : Your buff increase Defense value... :) -> I need to test that with the defense-boost of MAJ key.

I think that DoT's damage is NOT reduced by Spell R. > I tested against garemas.

This morning I was translating something about the Spell Resistance, which can reduce incoming damage of spells. Well, I've done a test and I've got quite interesting conclussions. As I'm really hooked with Shadow Warrior, I decided to see what were the benefits of the Spell Resistance gained from Grim Resilience. So I torment my Shadow Warrior a little, letting him to be hit by this purple eye from the cursed forest 50 times without the buff and another 50 times with the buff on. These were the results:

w/o buff --> 4 hits missed, 38 normal hits and 8 critical hits

with buff --> 4 hits missed, 27 hits reduced, 13 normal hits and 6 critical hits (5 of them reduced, as they actually dealt less damage than a normal hit)

If we say that the missed hits (it was quite odd, because the lighting stroke me and it didn't deal damage or additional damage, but it did DoT as normally) and the critical hits have nothing to do with Spell Resistance, then the Shadow Warrior without buff, with only 258 spell resistance would have reduced 0% of the incoming spells, whereas the Shadow Warrior with the buff on (1310 spell resistance) would have reduced 69.56% of them (32 hits out of 46).

Edited by Woody

Hey woody

No, my GR isn't modified for defense. It was my armantin's shoulders. But the thing I can't understand is why the spell did DoT if it was blocked.

You have only reported 2 kinds of damage: damage and critical damage, but both can be reduced, so 4 different damages can be dealt.

And I thought that Spell Resistance (not skill) didn't reduce critical hits but, is that right?

This may just be adding a bit of confusion into the mix, but on a bug report in the Sacred 2 beta, someone reported that Combat Arts that increased your chance to hit were erroniously giving an increased chance for a crit. The dev said that this was WAI & that increased chance to hit should increase the chance for a crit, so I'm wondering whether the reverse is also true (& that it applies to Combat Arts as well as weapon-based hits), that reducing their chance to hit (equivalent to increasing your Spell Resist in this case) reduces their chance to crit?

Granted there's several assumptions in there...

Then all Chace to Hit modifiers are also Critical Hit modifiers? There is a box that is shown when you have your mouse on the attack value in the inventory where total chances are displayed (such as critical hits). We can reduce our attack removing our current weapon and see if the chance for critical hits has been lowered too.