Starting character

Just recently bought the game and I'm finding myself fairly confused. I could use suggestions for a starting character build to get me going, and some help understanding forging/socketing/shopping and what to mod for.

Been looking through the threads/guides and I feel like I can't find the first step to get me rooted and understanding the basic components of low/high end gameplay.

Just recently bought the game and I'm finding myself fairly confused. I could use suggestions for a starting character build to get me going, and some help understanding forging/socketing/shopping and what to mod for.

Been looking through the threads/guides and I feel like I can't find the first step to get me rooted and understanding the basic components of low/high end gameplay.

Lots of builds can be found here.

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showforum=357

Make a dedicated shopper and keep bargaining 2X-4X your level so that your other characters can use more combat related skills. The stuff you want to forge or socket are +all skills, death blow, - to regen times and +% to experience. I haven't been playing long, but after reading over everything, this seems to be how it's done.

I`d give the Seraphim BFG build a go... There are two that are famous...one posted by Dobri and one posted by KA243 ...

The BFG builds are pretty much closest to the best ``out of the box` builds that this game offers and are fantastic ways to get a new player introduced to the intricacies of this game. Sacred 2 mechanics are complex to say the least but getting warmed up on a good build to gold, plat levels will give you a ``feel` of how the game and it`s challenges progress.

Good luck, and welcome to DarkMatters Alex.

:D

gogo

first off, welcome :oooo:

if you want a solid first build, try out a summoner shadow warrior tank

dont have time to write a full guide now, but these skills in this order should suffice for a pretty solid build

Tactics Lore

Armour Lore

Astral Lord Lore

Astral Lord Focus

Constition

Combat Reflexes

I would probably add in a weapon lore, and Malevolent Champion or Death warrior focus

hope I have helped a bit :smart:

I think the forging/socketing is going to give me the most issues, since I'm unsure on what to use and wondering if it will suffice. But, I feel like I can get the wheel going now, thanks all. I'm beginning to like this community, hopefully I can take this beyond single player. :oooo:

I think the forging/socketing is going to give me the most issues, since I'm unsure on what to use and wondering if it will suffice. But, I feel like I can get the wheel going now, thanks all. I'm beginning to like this community, hopefully I can take this beyond single player. :)

Hello! It's been a while, must be because of the darkness.... :P

A good method for forging at early levels is to ensure that you are using some slots to increase your Combat Arts - look for rings and amulets with "Combat Art" +X (for whichever Combat Art's you use) or Aspect: Death Warrior (will increase the levels of all Combat Art's within the Death Warrior aspect, replace :Death Warrior" with the name of the Aspect your character is using the most, if you're not a .) or, All Combat Arts + X (will raise the levels of ALL your Combat Art's). Typically you will be using armour or weapons that already increase the levels of your Combat Art's, so the number of sockets needed really varies with that factor. The regeneration penalty (which is a side-effect of raising your combat art levels) will be lower if you use sockets to increase rather than by eating/reading runes.

Start with making your buff as high as possible, but watch the regen. times of the combat arts you use,since buffs increase the regen. times of Combat Art's; and find a good balance there.

Then move on to socketing regeneration time decreasers - regeneration time -X%(affects all your Combat Art's) These can be forged at a blacksmith without any rings/amulets! I hope you have noticed the "blacksmith runes" when forging at a BS. the Enhance rune is the one I am thinking of, which increases your chance of critical hits (not so exciting at lower levels) and decreases your regeneration time (very handy for low-level). As you progress through the levels, you will come across the modifier: regeneration per hit X.X. This will regenerate your Combat Arts by X.X seconds every time you hit an enemy. This is probably one of the most important modifiers to ensure you have a decent amount of, as long as you are hitting your enemies with a weapon. RpH does not work with "spell" combat arts, so you actually have to look around the wiki for your chosen class (or just test in-game) to figure out which Combat Art's "work" with the RpH. Of course, just using your weapon will "always" work for RpH - but you do have to ensure you are hitting the enemy to gain the bonus.

If you are having troubles hitting an enemy, the modifiers that say "opponents chance to evade -X%" and "chance that opponents cannot evade +X%" will reap better rewards that trying to increase your attack value, until you get to know how to maximize / balance your hit chance. "opponents defense -X%" I have not tried on its own, but is a part of the puzzle as well. I believe it would be most effective against bosses, who have very high defense values (typically).

There are a few mad geniuses around here who should probably chime in an challenge some of my techniques, as I am still not convinced I have a good enough handle on socketing to be giving great advice. But what I have given is my basic rules when I start a new character..

Hope I didn't lose you along the way! There should be no fear of the "stupid question" around the Dark Matters community, as everyone tries to be as helpful as they can!

I have to go now, to toil through darkness!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the basic info in this thread, it gives me ideas to start. I just picked the game up today and am already hooked.

Welcome to Dark Matters kriv! enjoy your stay :D

Thanks! This site is great and the info makes me understand the game much better.