Which is best for equipment - Shopping or Drops ?

Hiya

Which is best for equipment; shopping or drops? I get that bosses drop the best stuff but other than that, is it worth looking to see what the traders have? I'm so used to relying on drops in other games I forget to look and see what they have.

Also, do all traders have the same stuff at the same time or do some have specific stuff? An example from Diablo II, Anya in the expansion was the best merchant to get assasin +traps weapons but you had to visit her a lot to find one. Do I have to do this in this game or is it that it makes no difference who I shop from?

Heya,

IF you use bargaining, then checking shops can be pretty great! :)

Shopping mainly for stuff Gogo mentioned... jewelry, blowpipes, EP gear. There is no Anya in Sacred :D Meaning that most shoppers devise themselves a nice shopping run, and keep repeating that.

Sets and Uniques.... that is drop only.

Greetz

Edited by Barristan
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry for the late reply, been too busy playing.

When you say "most shoppers devise themselves a nice shopping run" what do you mean? That they go to specific merchs for specific stuff?

While I'm asking.. I must have a million rings. Is there any way of working out which to keep and which to bin? They don't seem to sort in any way that I can compare them without scrolling through them a hundred times.

Cheers

sorry for the late reply, been too busy playing.

When you say "most shoppers devise themselves a nice shopping run" what do you mean? That they go to specific merchs for specific stuff?

While I'm asking.. I must have a million rings. Is there any way of working out which to keep and which to bin? They don't seem to sort in any way that I can compare them without scrolling through them a hundred times.

Cheers

Your on console, so let me see if I can help. A bargain run is just simply a set of portals located close to merchants that allows you to quickly jump from merchant to merchant. In the process you reset the merchant and don't get bored. I like start island to sloeford and back.

As for York inventory, after you play for a bit you should be noticing that the star system is a very good tell for the value of a item. I would sell off anything that is not 2-star or better. There are. Also bonuses I look for which change with the build and playstyle. But generally I look for jewels with multiple mods. Like +allskills and dot. Or deathblow and RPG.

Sorry if my typing is bad. I am at the store tapping on my new

Droid.

so each one has the same stuff but jumping portals resets them.

Cool.. I'll have a go at that. Cheers.

Taking this off topic a little, you mention the stars. I have my setup so she only picks up star stuff, and yet she is still picking up some junk along the way. What is that all about?

Evurr-

There is no specific merchant or area that sells specific things, I think that is what you're asking. Any merchant can have "anything" for sale (although Blacksmiths only sell armour and damage converters, and Runemasters only jewellery). Mostly they offer items that your class can use (ie Seraphim armour as opposed to Dryad if you're playing a seraphim).

Unless you have a network of nice friends who will trade you wonderful stuff, I feel that Bargaining is much better skill choice than EP, since you can "shop till you drop" if you're looking for a specific item (ie armour with +all skills). With friends, you can get "better" items with EP, but they may not be optimal for your character, so you trade that awesome unique sword you can't use right now for the all skills armour that you do need right now.

Do you play 2-player offline? I ask because if you have a second profile on your system, there is a much faster way to re-set merchant inventories than the method the PC'ers know.... :woot:

Edited by essjayehm
Faster method than 5 sec and all merchant's have a new stock of goods?

Not sure on ps3 but on Xbox loading times are far longer than on PC so it is much faster to log on a second character on the same box and just keep logging your shopper on and off as it takes just a few seconds to log on and off since there is no load time. Sloeford on the Xbox takes over 30 seconds to port in and get to the merchant due to loading times. You have to load the initial zone which is about 15-20 seconds and then walking over to the merchant sticks you with two soft loading pauses of about 5 seconds each. Logging on and off is done in about 5 and almost no walking since you start right next to the merchants :)

Sorry if my typing is bad. I am at the store tapping on my new

Droid.

I do most of my posting on a Droid too! Takes awhile to get used to the spell check on the touch screen, dying you can add words to the dictionary by doing a press and hold on the word showing on the word list right below the text box, the fisrt word showing on it will always be exactly what you typed, so you can add words it doesn't know, like mage so it doesn't always change it to Magellan :) and I still haven't figured out a way for it to stop ignoring spaces I put in before a colon for an emoticon.

Hope you are enjoying the phone, I love mine!

Faster method than 5 sec and all merchant's have a new stock of goods?

Not sure on ps3 but on Xbox loading times are far longer than on PC so it is much faster to log on a second character on the same box and just keep logging your shopper on and off as it takes just a few seconds to log on and off since there is no load time. Sloeford on the Xbox takes over 30 seconds to port in and get to the merchant due to loading times. You have to load the initial zone which is about 15-20 seconds and then walking over to the merchant sticks you with two soft loading pauses of about 5 seconds each. Logging on and off is done in about 5 and almost no walking since you start right next to the merchants :)

The method I use is to open up the map and click on a portal and just before the loading screen pops up I click on the button that teleport me back to the start island, and all merchants have re-stocked their wares as if I had left the island.