Diets that you have tried

wel as some of you know because I've said about it on IRC I'm on a low oxalate diet. not because of my weight or my choice to lose weight, but on medical grounds due to a liver problem I have been put on a low oxalate diet.

this probably has to be one of the worst diets to go on... seriously its hard to stick to.

I will now show you a list of things I can't eat that are high in oxalates:

Beer - Real ales

Chocolate Milkshake

Tea

Coffee

Hot Chocolate

Ovaltine

Horliks

any fruit juice containing berries

Spirits

Blackberries

Blueberries

black Grapes

red Currants

Dewberries

Figs

Gooseberries

Kiwi

Lemon peel

Lime peel

Orange peel

Raspberries, red and black

Rhubarb

Strawberries

Tangerines

any whole wheet bread products

crackers

popcorn

any form of beans

any type of nut

Rhubarb

Green Peppers

Parsnips

sweet potatoes

and ordinary potatoes I have to keep to a minumum!

and now for the stuff that they recomend that I eat:

Acorn squash

Alfalfa sprouts

white Cabbage

Cauliflower

Cucumbers, peeled

Green peas, frozen

Lettuce

Mung bean sprouts

red Pepper

Turnips

Zucchini squash

Coconut

Lentils

Water chestnuts

and loads of other disgusting foods

but thre is a good thing:

I can drink, cider, coca cola, whtie wine, champagne,

so what crappy diets have you lot been on and have they worked for you because this one is jstu to stop me damaging my liver any more so I should reverse the effects of the oxalate buildup in my body! and be off the diet within the next year!

Seafood diet - its edible and I eat it

Stravation - I forget to eat for a few days on the trott

Reduction - I try and halve what I usual have

The corned Beef and tomatto sandwich diet - this is all I ate for 4 weeks once, and nothing else.

None of these really worked, but somehow I just about manage to maintain my weight which suites me.

Look after you liver mate, and if you ever need to moan you know where to find me.

Dan I wanted to cry not so far down your list /cry That is one harsh list of nots!!...and I seriously hope you can kick this diet and your medical problems as soon as possible. /hug

I can't say I have ever been on a diet....Up until recently I have always been really active physically...oh that sounds wrong! /blush /lmao I was up until about 2 years ago working out on a trapeze almost daily(weeeee it was in my garden) and also chopped lottsa logs for fuel, ran around after my kids (still doing that bit)...ran a business up until maybe 3 or so years ago....and the stress that sometimes involved maybe burnt off the extra Bailey's Irish chocolate Cheese cake... /drool

...but I have found /blink recently I am not doing alot of these things.....but diets I dunno...they don't work I don't think for weight loss unless you are also doing something physical theres not a lot of point 'dieting'....I've had a couple of friends try out some bizarre diets...'The grapefruit diet'...whats that all about LOL 'The Atkins diet'...haha I don't know maybe it is just me ...but for wieght loss...forget the diet nonsense find something physical you enjoy doing and do it :)

I know yours is for totally different reasons Dan but as for diets....well thats just my 2 peneth worth...and don't start me on what is portrayed in the media especially for young girls and women /rolleyes

Goes to the bar for a full fat something or other :D

when I was in university (long time ago) I have that beer/vodka diet - one day drinking till you cant walk, next day drinking just cold water (stomack wasnt able to acceppt anything else). next day - beer/vodka again

I quite like the idea of the beer/vodka diet however seeing as spirits and real laes are on my list of things I can't have I can't really follow that diet!

also I'm just curious if any people have found diets that actually do work without putting in the effort that claire was talking about because I know people who were on the atkins that worked but the atkins diet isn't that great for you because of teh high levels of read fatty meat you tend to eat, its the protien that makes you lose the weight!! because the protien fills you up so basically if you just ate chicken and low carbs then you would lose twice as much weight and be a hell of a lot healthier in the process!