Schot - where did that name come from?

Schot,

Just wondering what your name came from, as I have seen the name Schot in the game of Sacred 2 (I found a gravestone that says "Schot drank too much whiskey" or something like that). You aren't a developer in disguise, are you? :)

Shhhhh! Not so loud. I don't want people to know. lol. I wish! :) What you saw was one of my uhhh, napping places. Whiskey sure does make me sleepy. ^^ If you're curious though the reason they made me that grave was because of an article I wrote about a *cough* feature *cough* I discovered in Sacred Underworld. The Whiskey business has never been so good!

There's a lot of other players who have graves in Sacred 2 as well. :D

I always thought it was a german family name:

http://www.verwandt.de/karten/absolut/schot.html

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Schott_(Familienname)

Genwiki says there are 4 possible reasons in how the name began:

An ancestor being a scot from scotland.

An ancestor was a traveling salesman. Which are even today are named Schotten (scots) at some places here. But it is no longer used in modern german.

An ancestor was a farmer specialized in doing schoten, an old german word for sour cream

The writing Schott is more common and had at least in my area a 4th meaning: being from the city of Schotten. Which is funny because my wife grew up there and her grandpa was doing motorcycle sidecar races at the racing circuit(circuit = Ring) of Schotten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schottenring

Schotten has also 4 sequioia trees. A ranger named Schott planted them around 1900 when his son was born. Got the seeds from the botanic garden at Giessen.

Edited by chattius

Ah you remember that addiction I had eh gogo. ^^ My online name, Schot, was realized during my Tron 2.0 gaming days. Tron 2.0 was pretty much my first online MP game and was what introduced me to the MP atmosphere. In Tron 2.0 it's a sort of Mutant FPS where you can play in teams against eachother with only your discs as weapons. It's a very intense game of timing and precision. In essence, you need to be "a good shot" as the say ing goes and so I thought "shot" could be a nice nic to use. I just tossed in the extra c to be different. Little did I know at the time how widely used the name Schot already was, heh.

And that's the quick story about how I was digitized. Tron 2.0 FTW! :unsure:

Really nice info there Chattius. For a long time I've had the impression that Schot, or Schott, was a popular name in Germany as well. No idea where I got the impression from though. *scratches head*