Questions for a Melee High Elf

So I am rebuilding a melee High Elf and Looking for a few tweaks to be really happy with the build. I have a bunch of questions (I should mention that I am on the x360).

The basic plan is GI buff and Arrant Pyromancer buff, use a 1h sword and shield and hack away at the masses. To enter dangerous areas I'll teleport in, and drop an Expulse Magic to thin the heard, and give me a safe zone to play in.

QUESTIONS (in bold):

Incandecent Skin - Gold mod: Is it safe to take Fiery Ardor? Seems like a scaling fire damage bump makes sure my Fire Damage stays relevant (both on the buff, and for the occasional Combat Art). Will GI modded to reduce the regen and Fiery Armor moded to reduce regen keep me on the up and up?

Bronze and Silver were protection from Ranged, and reflect Melee.

Incendiary Shower - Bronze: I was thinking of spending 5 more points in this aspect and mod this for stun. If I use shadow step, then drop this Combat Art as part of a combo, does this work (or will the targeting be messed up?)? NOTE: Since I am on the cheaty 360 I can cast Arrant Combat Arts fast by placing them in a combo

Expulse Magic: Does Delphic Lore increase the Banish effectiveness? Since I will be investing heavily in Delphic Lore I thought I might go for the expansion mod if it does.

Shadow Step - Gold Mod: Explosion What is the area effect of the damage?

What is more important to Master First? Shield Lore or Contitution?

How much of a mistake am I making taking Speed Lore? (lol)

Any Other glaring weakness to the build that you see?

Attribute Plan: Dex until level 50, then 1 Str/1 Dex until 100, then evaluate

Skills @L75

L2-Armor Lore 40

L3-Delphic Lore 75

L5-Arrant Focus 9 or 14

L8-Conc (1) 1

L12-Delphic Focus 75

L18-Sword Lore 5

L25-Shield Lore 1

L35-Speed Lore 75

L50-Constitution 5

L65-Combat Discipline 1

Leftover 9

Edited by SolomonGrundy

A melee highelf probably has reg per hit- so no need for modifiers to shorten reg-times.

A weapon lore only usage is to unlock modifiers on weapons and hit chance for a magic coup build.

Without a weapon lore you can't unlock speed lore,....hmmm.

I wouldn't take a weapon lore at all: so not sword lore and no speed lore.

I would take bargaining to buy the hit chance and damage x-x stuff. I made good experience with having both skins modified.

A melee highelf probably has reg per hit- so no need for modifiers to shorten reg-times.

A weapon lore only usage is to unlock modifiers on weapons and hit chance for a magic coup build.

I would take bargaining to buy the hit chance and damage x-x stuff. I made good experience with having both skins modified.

what about the range of the damage for shadow step?

Does increasing Lore affect the banishing number of expulse magic?

I already have a high elf bargainer

:-)

what about the range of the damage for shadow step?

Does increasing Lore affect the banishing number of expulse magic?

I already have a high elf bargainer

:-)

I would leave out the sword lore and speed lore and take fire lore ( for increased damage, Mods bonuses, and casting speed) and ancient magic ( increased damage and at 75 you get to lower your opponents resistances to your spells)

I would leave out the sword lore and speed lore and take fire lore ( for increased damage, Mods bonuses, and casting speed) and ancient magic ( increased damage and at 75 you get to lower your opponents resistances to your spells)

Except that is the opposite of what I want. I don't need more mods (I am only moding the buff, and perhaps the bronze mod for meteor shower). Ancient Magic does not affect Magic Coup, but Combat Disciple does.

What I really need is the answer to the bold questions, I apologise if I sound abrupt, the GF is harrasing me for dinner.

Debuffing with expulse magic seems to be tested versus the spell resistance (willpower) of the target. So arcane lore helps with it. Arcane lore isn't boosting combat art block on expulse.

Shadow step explosion is a nice. My newest elf was modifying shadow step to gold before any other combat art. Shadow step has a cooldown, so it doesn't matter if you read it beyond the malus. In difference to cobalt strike and magic coup it has a 100% chance to do an explosion. So the tactics were to collect a big mob around you by running a spirale and then to teleport outside the mob, killing everything close to you (about 3-4 metre circle). Since silver was for invisibility, the enemies won't see you for a while. This gives you enough time to quaff a potion if necessary.

I took invisibility because physical protection is useless against enemies with no physical attacks. As soon I decided for invisibility I decided for explosion too, out of the above reason.

All my new characters had shield lore to mastery as 3rd or 4th skill. The new elf had it as 3rd. I think I will do a write-up of the new elf in a new thread. It is a family elf to test the horse-modifier-patch I am currently working on. I promised my daughters for nearly one and a half year that I will try to make the horses useful :P

Edited by chattius

Hi, Solomon!

For consoles,

I tinkered with HE's for a little while, and I found that the best combo for Incendary Shower is with a targetted Combat Art. (Magic Coup, Cobalt Strike, fireball, etc). Put the targetted Combat Art first in the combo, and even if the enemy or boss moves during the combo, the shower will still hit realatively consistently.

Shadow Step and Shower in a combo probably will never hit the target you want, since the target for the Scything Sweep will not be on top of the enemy/boss which is where you want the shower to hit.