Talhoffer

I was writing another chapter on my Lady in Black, a pure arcane elf. I tried to add some fun to the write down how her defense is organized:

Ninjitsu for being invisible, Aikido to reflect attacks back, Capoeira to move tactically, ....

And I found no combat style specialized on blocking. So I was close to name it chivalry or something like this. But then I remembered an old book I read when I was a student. Being a german there was of cause a student club doing the old german student fencing. No more scars on the face today anymore. But I was puzzled when I saw them fighting with two-handers. I had to learn that fencing with two-handers was taught at the university some hundred years back. They had old prints of fencing books. And while googling for a name of a shield-using martial art I stumbled on this book again:

www.kb.dk/da/nb/materialer/haandskrifter/HA/e-mss/thalhofer/thott-2_290.html

The shield combat starts at page 198. Siege machine, weapons, armours, ....all in the 7 books.

HELP

Edit: Hmmm, the link has a d-a which is autocompleted to darting assault. So you cut and paste. I made the a bold to prevent auto-expension.

Edited by chattius
  • 1 year later...

I always said that if you ever read Talhoffer you have the feeling that all fighting in knight movies is wrong. Watch this video on ancient fighting machines and I am sure you will see real ideas which never made it into a movie. Probably it is because most knight movies are dealing with english, normans, french and not with german knights:

And Eineinhalbhaender, One and a half hand sword, Barstewardsword...