I have access to three computers. There is my recent build, the kids' computer, and my wife's laptop. The kids are not allowed to touch my box or the laptop. This is why both are still in good shape.

My sister in law is not so strict with her kids and so the baby knocked the laptop off of the bed last night.

She has a really tall bed.

Now the case is a bit bent at one corner and she is unable to plug in the AC cord--a piece of the inside of the power receptacle is missing and the whole thing is slightly pushed in and at an angle. The male end that goes into the back of the laptop is bent as well.

What do you think? Worth it to pay for a repair?

It's a Sony Vaio not even a year old yet.

Most motherboard are nowadays multilayered and you can't use just a soldering iron to exchange parts. If a plastic piece is missing you can use

3a32584c57.jpg

to rebuild it. You should be able to get a new male connector, replacing is easy because you just have to attach it on 2 cable.

Don't know how you call the pattex (or similiar) stuff in america. It are two materials which are formable like plasticine but hard as stone after a while. I do a lot of repairs with this stuff and rebuilding of damaged parts. But wear one way gloves and don't let it lay around if small kids are in the house.

Edited by chattius
Most motherboard are nowadays multilayered and you can't use just a soldering iron to exchange parts. If a plastic piece is missing you can use

3a32584c57.jpg

to rebuild it. You should be able to get a new male connector, replacing is easy because you just have to attach it on 2 cable.

Don't know how you call the pattex (or similiar) stuff in america. It are two materials which are formable like plasticine but hard as stone after a while. I do a lot of repairs with this stuff and rebuilding of damaged parts. But wear one way gloves and don't let it lay around if small kids are in the house.

We have a similar product here called plasti-steel , when cured you can drill it file it ... awesome stuff. I think it sounds worth repairing if you can do yourself or a friend that can.