Armor in general

I don't quite get what armor does, is it for every point in say physical armor, you get -1 damage from a physical attack? I'm trying to work out the best item to socket, besides +1 to all skills, unless that is better than getting %xx armor bonus's, with armor lore?

I wrote something about armour in the 'Lady in Black' pure arcane elf in the guide section. Mainly why I try to have an artamark on all my characters:

Why to use the Artamark's Star

There is a function how armour reduces damages in one of the links in the above article. If you need more help feel free to ask.

Damage Taken = Damage dealt * (damage dealt / (damage dealt + resistance))

Do that equation for each elemental damage type you're doing & then total it up (ignoring damage mitigation).

Llama, your formula would result in that you never receive more damage than the damage dealt. Tests in niob showed that you receive far more than the dealt damage (shown in last kill menu) if you have no armour. I think your formula is close for bronze, but on higher difficulties the used formula is different.

Llama, your formula would result in that you never receive more damage than the damage dealt. Tests in niob showed that you receive far more than the dealt damage (shown in last kill menu) if you have no armour. I think your formula is close for bronze, but on higher difficulties the used formula is different.

how can you recieve more damage than how much the creature hit you for ?

how can you recieve more damage than how much the creature hit you for ?

there is a strange phenomena that chattius discovered where if you have 0(zero) resistance to a single element and get hit with that element the damage to you is multiplied some how. Probably an oversight in one of the formulas.

there is a strange phenomena that chattius discovered where if you have 0(zero) resistance to a single element and get hit with that element the damage to you is multiplied some how. Probably an oversight in one of the formulas.

Nice info!

Loco does it work the other way around... do we get a multiplier if we hit a monster with damage they have no resistance to? What if this was meant by devs ... to reward use of best element against weakest meaning zero?

If so, it's good reason to have weps that can change damage types against guardians...or a few sets of those ROTTENLY rare element switcher gloves for a spell caster :D

Ryan, ayup... the star is a true unique that can drop anywhere.

:(

gogo

While it's possible the formula changes with difficulty, I'd be far more inclined to guess that the formula factors in level instead (so as to apply one formula to all damage rather than different formulae to different difficulties).

Nice info!

Loco does it work the other way around... do we get a multiplier if we hit a monster with damage they have no resistance to? What if this was meant by devs ... to reward use of best element against weakest meaning zero?

If so, it's good reason to have weps that can change damage types against guardians...or a few sets of those ROTTENLY rare element switcher gloves for a spell caster :D

Ryan, ayup... the star is a true unique that can drop anywhere.

:(

gogo

Here is the post where chattius explains it: Why you should wear artamark's Star

We will need to ask Chattius if he ran these test the other way. with damage dealt.

Testing it the other way:

I think I asked for volunteers in another thread. Testing this stuff is eating a hell of time. Easiest would be PvP. But I don't don't if it are same formulas in PvP, PvM and MvP.

I can don the maths if I get a significant number of damage/armour values.

Testing it the other way:

I think I asked for volunteers in another thread. Testing this stuff is eating a hell of time. Easiest would be PvP. But I don't don't if it are same formulas in PvP, PvM and MvP.

I can don the maths if I get a significant number of damage/armour values.

I just re-read the Demi-God thread, it would seem that testing is only needed to determine if your formula for damage recieved is the same for damage dealt? and based on the account that Numerii posted of his tests with Holos, can we create a Graph for Armor Mitigation by difficulty level?

I followed most of the math, however it's been 20 years since I used any complex algebra.

I am gonna go bump the Demi-God thread.

I don't quite get what armor does, is it for every point in say physical armor, you get -1 damage from a physical attack? I'm trying to work out the best item to socket, besides +1 to all skills, unless that is better than getting %xx armor bonus's, with armor lore?

We got onto a calculation topic here, but to answer your question another way, a discussion of what happens when a monster tries to hit us.

Somebody correct me if I have any of these mixed up, but here goes my best shot....

1. First we try to evade or dodge. defense value and chance to evade help here.

2. Then, we try to block or reflect. Chance to Block: , chance to reflect: help here

3. Then, we try to mitigate. Damage mitigation can be found in armor and gems. See How to become a Demi-god for an explanation.

4. Next is to absorb. the absorption which comes from armor. The amount of damage absorbed is a complicated formula as chattius and llama have hinted at here. obviously more is better, right?

5. Next, we try to shield. Energy_Shields for seraphim and TG perform this effort. shield Energy essentially workds as virtual hit points.

The amount of damage absorbed is a complicated formula as chattius and llama have hinted at here. obviously more is better, right?

6. Lastly we have health points to keep us alive after all that.

So IMO if you are using health pots on a regular basis the are 5 lines of defense that those hits are getting past. and it is time to take a look at all 5. in the end Armor is only a small pieces of a much bigger equation