Enhanced Perception - worth putting many points into this skill

With Enhanced Perception is it worth putting many points into this skill? I've only been boosting this skill with relics. Also the stuff you find on the ground when using this skill do you ever find anything of value, as I've only found junk. My Seraphim is at level 53 gold and since she hit level 50 the good drops have pretty much dried up, was finding quite a few set items/uniques around 40-45 level mark.

Drops dry up as the game calculates what is a challenge to the character... that is: you need to face more challenging opponents or the game will dial down the drops.

Plus: drops are random... which means dry spells from time to time.

Another way to increase your drop rate of good items is to explore the map. % world discovered is a factor in good drops. This way, you can save the skill points for somewhere else... :twitch:

Drops dry up as the game calculates what is a challenge to the character... that is: you need to face more challenging opponents or the game will dial down the drops.

Plus: drops are random... which means dry spells from time to time.

Another way to increase your drop rate of good items is to explore the map. % world discovered is a factor in good drops. This way, you can save the skill points for somewhere else... ;)

Thanks for the tips.

I haven't heard this before: is there a thread somewhere that discusses this?

you may also want to check out this thead on the quality of items bases on Enhanced perception/bargaining. its a long read but has good info.

Item quality levels vs EP/MF/Bargaining

in short is calculates that your higher quality of items require a considerable more investment into EP as you level up.

Loco, I think you're mixing up EP and Bargaining, ;). EP doesn't have the diminishing returns that Bargaining does.

To summarize the linked thread: the more points that are in EP, the better quality your drops should be. Junk items should become "less" common and rarer items should become "more" common. Less and more are a bit deceiving here, though, since we don't really know how much it really affects things. I'm speculating, but I get the feeling that the bonus from EP is much smaller than any of us realize (except for the people who recommend Bargaining over EP, though they make that recommendation for other reasons).

To get back to S-P's question, though: are you happy with the points you've poured into your other skills? Would you might devoting more hard points to EP? I don't think anyone's ran an EP character in the way that most people run Bargainers (pouring as many points/boosts in as possible), so most of what we hear about EP's effectiveness are stories like yours, S-P, where you're questioning whether EP's doing anything for you. So, again I ask, are you willing to devote more points to EP as opposed to your other skills? It'll make a difference, but none of us are really sure how strong that difference will be.

Well I'm not planning on putting too many points into EP, as I want to hit mastery with some of my other skills first. But I guess if I want better loot I'm gonna have to invest in EP. ;)

Nope, EP isn't required to find good loot, most of my chars without EP finds as much or more as those with it.

Really, I thought it was neccesary to have EP to get Set/Unique items to drop. I guess you learn something new everyday. ;)

I havent seen an improvement from EP, but my last dryad guardian farmer without EP killed ~1000 guardians/egg for one legendary relic (took 250 or so to find the relic, then I was dry for the next 750ish)... My new dryad is gonna have EP at her level the whole way through, at least until mastery anyway and then I'll consider how effective its been. So far...Ive only had 5 guardian runs so no real feelins about its effectiveness either way.

I agree you don't need EP to find items, having it means you drown in items. I mean uniques and set drops. My current seraphim with EP has had more set/unique drops than any of my Shadow Warriors before her (she is my only char that had a full set before level 75 just from drops), and the only difference between them is EP. To get great items, my SW's have had to farm fun places like the swamp and wastelands whereas my seraphim can go almost anywhere and get drops.

Hmm...getting mixed opinions here. Would it be fair to offer, EP & patience will render enough drops to not only fill your entire account, but also help out an entire network of friends as well. Whilst not breaking the vault?

Would really like to see more hard evidence on EP. I have a strong feeling this skill is very important to obtaining massive amounts of shared wealth.

Also, EP stacked with %chance to find valueable mod. Found on almost anything. Wonder if these stack or are completely different calculations?

I remain, Curious :thumbsupsmiley:

I ran an EP-maxxed Exalted seraphim (Sword/Shield). I was very impressed with the drops (never having more than 5 or 10 points in EP with previous characters). My main beef with that was that I had a chest full of uniques (literally) that I didn't want to use/need. Eventually, I had all my mules loaded up as well! I am certian if I was online and had people to trade/gift these items, I would have appreciated it more than Bargaining. Being cut off cemented me into Barg. toons because it just took some patience to shop out "better" equipment than the uniques (although the set bonuses are quite attractive).

I feel that EP combined with a high kill-rate will produce the best unique drop rates. Adding MF onto this (and not sacrificing killspeed) is like icing on the cake - not necessary, but definitely a lot yummier.

Please remember that I am also quite sure that the drop rates for the offline console version are quite bad ;)

Edited by essjayehm

Well since my last post I've got another 3 set items dropped, so I guess it is just down to luck really. So I've decided it isn't any point in investing any more points in EP for this toon anyways.

I have 85%mf gear (much of it is the rings that add MF based on EP score) + the 44% from EP mastery. That really is noticeable. She has benefited from my 8 SW character's banks, her choice of swords contains every unique in game, so she is currently using Serpents Tongue & Flashing Glaive of Atherton, its times like these I wish I had more than 5 slots.

I sell most uniques I find now, unless they are new ones I have never seen. Only some swords get kept, I have seen many of them before or have copies on my sleeping characters.

Edited by colif
I have 85%mf gear (much of it is the rings that add MF based on EP score) + the 44% from EP mastery. That really is noticeable. She has benefited from my 8 SW character's banks, her choice of swords contains every unique in game, so she is currently using Serpents Tongue & Flashing Glaive of Atherton, its times like these I wish I had more than 5 slots.

I sell most uniques I find now, unless they are new ones I have never seen. Only some swords get kept, I have seen many of them before or have copies on my sleeping characters.

I think when you have a lot of 'find unique items' socketed you really don't need much investment in EP anyways, my level is upto about 40% now. Does EP also increase chances of getting those Legendary items.