At my wits end now

Get this, you've been playing ice and blood and just been given a quest thats half way around the damn world (the point being you're going to go a long way and get a ton of loot before saving...) you pick up some rare loot along the way, maybe a set item (or two!), then you go to find out how close you are to your destination (pressing M) and BANG! the screen stops... "no this cant be happening.." .. "ok ill wait a bit, see if its just hanging for a minute"... 'Sacred 2 has stopped Working' ... "NOOOOOOOO!"

This has been happening a lot lately, im running win 7 64bit ice & blood everything updates, all drivers updated.. I couldnt be more up-to-date

the game basically freezes on random intervals when accessing either the mini-map (tab) or the full map (m), not every time, it seems only once you've been playing for a while... I have no idea whats causing it, would love to know if anyone else had this problem and if they managed to fix it.

Thank you!

I understand your frustration, but please remember we are a family site. I edited a few choice words.

Thanks

Loco.

Now to help you with your problem. we have a couple threads here that may help. But here are a few things I did with my Win 7 64 system to make my game pretty smooth

1. Disable physX. if you have an Nvidia GFX disable it in the nVidia control panel also.

2. Sacred2 has a memory problem where it locks when the memory usage in the taskmanager excedes 1.5 Gb. It also has I/O optimizations that are tweaked for xp 32. So to combat this you may have to lower resolution or detail settings. (to run at 1080p I completely disable the grass detail

3. download and install the 4GBpatch. It's usefullness is tough to test and confirm but it seems that it helps me a great deal.

Hope this helps

I understand your frustration, but please remember we are a family site. I edited a few choice words.

Thanks

Loco.

Now to help you with your problem. we have a couple threads here that may help. But here are a few things I did with my Win 7 64 system to make my game pretty smooth

1. Disable physX. if you have an Nvidia GFX disable it in the nVidia control panel also.

2. Sacred2 has a memory problem where it locks when the memory usage in the taskmanager excedes 1.5 Gb. It also has I/O optimizations that are tweaked for xp 32. So to combat this you may have to lower resolution or detail settings. (to run at 1080p I completely disable the grass detail

3. download and install the 4GBpatch. It's usefullness is tough to test and confirm but it seems that it helps me a great deal.

Hope this helps

hi Loco, im sorry about the wording I used.

The problem im having is the memory, 100% tried and tested, as soon as it gets above 1.4GB it freezes up... all my settings are on low now but that only delays the problem and doesnt fix it - really frustrating :D hope someone finds a solution soon

The problem is windows 7. Unfortunatly Sacred 2 just doesn't run well on it, even with the Ice and Blood expansion. I had the exact same freezing that you did and in the end I dual booted Windows XP just to play Sacred 2.

Sadly there is no fix for your problem unless you Dual boot. Even with XP it will still freeze/crash after a few hours of play, gotta love Sacred :D

Crash problems with the Mini- or Worlmap: There seems to be a strange GUI Buffer overflow when accessing them while some/many UI-Windows are open in the game, so close them first. Also it seems wise to wait a moment for things to settle when ingame loading spikes (some towns, regions) occur, before opening any maps or the questlog.

We had that issue recently described by a user of the CM and he seemed to be able to delay/stop the crashing by following these rules.

Edited by czevak
Crash problems with the Mini- or Worlmap: There seems to be a strange GUI Buffer overflow when accessing them while some/many UI-Windows are open in the game, so close them first. Also it seems wise to wait a moment for things to settle when ingame loading spikes (some towns, regions) occur, before opening any maps or the questlog.

We had that issue recently described by a user of the CM and he seemed to be able to delay/stop the crashing by following these rules.

My observations as well. there are several hot spots in map that are kill zones.

1. After killing the Octopus you have to advance to the exit. the game does a texture load to remove the rock from the path, and update the Dam textures. it may freeze your game. My Win 7 no longer has a problem here. after the above fixes

2. The path to the Scorp Boss has a spot that does a texture update.

My original Win 7 64 install was as problematic as yours. after making the upgrades I described I no longer get the predictable lock-ups. however occasionally there is still a random drop.

If your system is hitting 1.4Gb with details on low, there is still something turned on. Are you trying to run Elite Textures? Grass? Mine rarely goes over 1.2 now with full maxed sliders and no grass or elite textures. @ 1080p

• 5 months later...

Hi there.

I'm new here. But I have the exact same problem on my Vista 64-bit system.

I can play anywhere from 15 mins to 2 hours before the game freezes, usually its either because of map usage or if the camera gets an odd angle with lots of textures.

I bet there's a few memory leaks that weren't plugged as well..

• 2 months later...

I ran into the random freeze/lockup issue after installing Ice & Blood. I just used the 4GB program mentioned earlier in this thread, and have not run into the problem again. The game is currently installed on a Windows 7 machine running Elite graphics.

The problem is windows 7. Unfortunatly Sacred 2 just doesn't run well on it, even with the Ice and Blood expansion. I had the exact same freezing that you did and in the end I dual booted Windows XP just to play Sacred 2.

Sadly there is no fix for your problem unless you Dual boot. Even with XP it will still freeze/crash after a few hours of play, gotta love Sacred :D

Probably should be a bit more specific on that. The problem is likely Windows 7 64 bit.

I've got Windows 7 - the 32 bit version and I've yet to see a freeze like that. This is not to say I have no problems what so ever. I do on rare occasions see some rather weird behavior - like the controls turning black. The area where my weapons and CAs live turns black. My portrait with the health bar in the upper left - it also turns black as does the minimap in the right corner. All of the dialogs turn black as well. The only thing to do - save the game and exit. Other than that, the game plays infinitely better than 2.43.

The solution is to save your game periodically and restart it.