A couple of Damage releated Questions

Hi, I have a couple of damage related questions:

I've come across a weapon (Thain's Axe) and a couple of nice rare armors that have all 5 elemental DoT modifiers (Chance for Burn, Chance for Weaken, Chance for Freeze, Chance for Poison, Chance to inflict open wounds) on them. But I've never been certain if all of these are actually active and inflict those status effects though - only one or two seem to always work depending on the element of the weapon (fire elemental weapon only inflicts burn, but not freeze or poison, etc). Open wounds seems to work no matter the element type but I could be wrong. Does anyone know the rules on how this works, and if these weapons/armors actually give you the chance to inflict 5 different DoT types regardless of the element of the weapon?

Second question is about Chance for Deadly Wounds... I haven't been able to find much info on this modifier other than that the effects are unknown. I've tried out quite a few weapons that have this mod and they always seem to kick major ass, but maybe it's all in my head? Has anyone verified if chance for deadly wounds has ANY effect at all? Or is it about as useful as chance to unseat opponents (which of course does not work)? Sometimes it seems as if the deadly wounds inflicts instant death on an enemy when it connects, but I don't have any way to tell for sure...

Any info on these questions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

In order to inflict the various elemental effects (burning, poison, weaken & slow) you need to do the appropriate elemental damage, so unless you're doing poison/cold/magic from some other source (eg, CAs), a Thain's Axe won't inflict those effects. Open Wounds is the "elemental effect" for physical damage, though since that is ubiquitous you need the additional modifier in order to inflict open wounds.

Deadly Wounds does do something we're just not sure what. I thought it reduced their max hp by a %, but I could be wrong (or it might have changed in Ice and Blood).

I thought it reduced their max hp by a %, but I could be wrong (or it might have changed in Ice and Blood).

This is what I thought it was also. But, I just kind of assumed it because that's what Deadly Wounds were in Guild Wars, so I could very easily be wrong ;)

I thought it reduced their max hp by a %, but I could be wrong (or it might have changed in Ice and Blood).

This is what I thought it was also. But, I just kind of assumed it because that's what Deadly Wounds were in Guild Wars, so I could very easily be wrong ;)

I think that is what "Deep wounds" does?

So it sounds like a weapon can only inflict open wounds if there is no elemental modifier and the weapon is mostly physical element...So let's say a sword has fire elemental conversion and 20% chance to inflict open wounds, the open wounds would never be inflicted?

Ah Ok... yes that helps a lot thank you.

Slevin says "It reduces the enemies hitpoints down to 80% with a duration of 10 sec. So its just a stronger form of Chance to inflict Deep Wounds +X%."

So it sounds like it reduces hitpoints down 20%, while deep wounds reduces it down by 8%, is this correct?

So it sounds like a weapon can only inflict open wounds if there is no elemental modifier and the weapon is mostly physical element...So let's say a sword has fire elemental conversion and 20% chance to inflict open wounds, the open wounds would never be inflicted?

No, you will get open wounds, since you'll still be doing some physical damage. But since the DoT damage is based on the amount of it's elemental damage you do on the hit that procs it, you won't get much damage from it in your example.

So it sounds like it reduces hitpoints down 20%, while deep wounds reduces it down by 8%, is this correct?

I am not so sure Deadly Wounds is working on PS3. Still playing around with dual weilding Ker's Hands, trying to "see" the 20% reduction/gain.

I do know deep wounds works, and it is glitchy on PS3 so that you can actually stack it if you incur the mod a second/third/etc time.

No, you will get open wounds, since you'll still be doing some physical damage. But since the DoT damage is based on the amount of it's elemental damage you do on the hit that procs it, you won't get much damage from it in your example.

I see, interesting. This brings up another question though, what if the weapon does damage in three different elements (I.e. I often see energy guns with physical, magic, and fire damage), would this type of weapon be capable of inflicting three different DoT status effects?

I am not so sure Deadly Wounds is working on PS3. Still playing around with dual weilding Ker's Hands, trying to "see" the 20% reduction/gain.

I do know deep wounds works, and it is glitchy on PS3 so that you can actually stack it if you incur the mod a second/third/etc time.

Right, this is kind of why I brought up the question about it. Like I said though, from my experiences I could never quite put a finger on exactly what deadly wounds was doing, but any time I used a weapon that had it as a mod it seemed like it was doing extra damage one way or another. Please do let me know if you are able to confirm the damage reduction or not though so that I can sleep better at night... ;)

I see, interesting. This brings up another question though, what if the weapon does damage in three different elements (I.e. I often see energy guns with physical, magic, and fire damage), would this type of weapon be capable of inflicting three different DoT status effects?

Yes, all 3 effects can proc, but you'll only get the graphics for a single proc per hit (even if you get both weaken & burning to proc on a single hit, you'd only get one of the graphics). The % chance to proc is based on the relative % elemental damages (except Open Wounds) plus any other mods for that elemental effect (Damage Lore & item mods).