Does Ancient Magic Lower Physical Resist?

Does Ancient magic lower the enemies armor for physical at mastery? For non-weapon CAs... I know it does for fire, poison, ice and magic

For example would it lower the physical resistance on the elementalist dragon mage spells of tornado, gust of wind, and destroyer?

It should yes, since physical is a damage channel/resistance. All Ancient Magic affects is non-weapon-based CAs (those that have the "causesSpellDamage = 1" flag), though I've not tested AM's effect on the physical damage CAs.

Ancient magic mastery doesn't lowers the enemies armor, it reduces its damage mitigation (all chanals).

For example: opponents' immunities -50% means enemies damage mitigation 30% --> 15%.

Ancient magic mastery doesn't lowers the enemies armor, it reduces its damage mitigation (all chanals).

For example: opponents' immunities -50% means enemies damage mitigation 30% --> 15%.

Nice info Slevin, had no idea thats what it did. I thought it reduced the armour :)

@llama, good question. I wonder if AM mastery is really that good? it depends on how many enemies have damage mitigation.

While not directly lowering Armor. Armor does provide some value of Mitigation right? so can we say that? and if that is the case, mitigation not armor, what else does armor due besides mitigation?

Next question, is damage mitigation (on monsters) particularly common?

I don't know exactly but I don't think that normal enemies has damage mitigation.

But I know that the 4 elemental bosses (the lords) has 100% damage mitigation (in niob) on some chananls which can be reduced by ancient magic.

Nice info Slevin, had no idea thats what it did. I thought it reduced the armour :)

@llama, good question. I wonder if AM mastery is really that good? it depends on how many enemies have damage mitigation.

I know I see a huge bump in damage with AM mastery on my HE chars. I always thought it was from the mastery bonus.

I'm with loco on this...I see, by looking at my CA page, right off as soon as I choose Mastery..I get an increase of a LOT of damage.

I thought this was just an increase to damage from the ca..not related to anything else. Winter, are you saying that the increase in damage, for let's say Thorns that we see when we jump to mastery...is connected to a specific enemy's resistance... ?

I am thinking two things are happening here.

One ... damage goes up

Two... you get that nifty functionality whereby enemy's resistances or mitigation goes down

I thought the two were separate, and that simply for the huge increase of damage alone... mastery for this skill is absolutely worth it.

:)

gogo

While not directly lowering Armor. Armor does provide some value of Mitigation right? so can we say that? and if that is the case, mitigation not armor, what else does armor due besides mitigation?

No Loco, mitigation is completely separate from resistances/armour.

So aside from the four "elemental Lord" mini-bosses, do any other enemies use mitigation? If not the mitigation reduction at mastery would be somewhat pointless...

No Loco, mitigation is completely separate from resistances/armour.

So aside from the four "elemental Lord" mini-bosses, do any other enemies use mitigation? If not the mitigation reduction at mastery would be somewhat pointless...

But Chattius graphed Mitigation from armor here: http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?sh...t&p=6896385 int he demi-god thread.

Does that mean he is all wrong about mitigation?

And my other question was, if Armor doesn't mitigate damage what does it do?

But Chattius graphed Mitigation from armor here: http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?sh...t&p=6896385 int he demi-god thread.

Does that mean he is all wrong about mitigation?

And my other question was, if Armor doesn't mitigate damage what does it do?

No, it means that either he or the Sacred 2 translators chose a word badly. Chattius means the reduction to damage received due to the target having resistances, not Damage Mitigation.

If he did mean Damage Mitigation, then Ancient Magic would (effectively) lower resists (which Slevin's just said it doesn't)...

As long as any spell I use becomes alot more powerful vs anything I aim it at at mastery I dont care if it works by flaming poodle poo mathmatics.

So the real question is vs various critters what happens 74 vs 75 ancient magic with various spells...

As long as any spell I use becomes alot more powerful vs anything I aim it at at mastery I dont care if it works by flaming poodle poo mathmatics.

So the real question is vs various critters what happens 74 vs 75 ancient magic with various spells...

Testing as we speak, I will post numbers in a few minutes

O.k. I did a little test.

I created at level 75 Test char. it's a high elf with Fire lore and focus at 75 and Ancient magic at 74.

I went into Gold on LAN with a stock balance file and did a Garanka(Kobald Chieftan) run. I used Ancestral Fireball on him. Since he has a high Fire resist,armor,immunity, Mitigation, voodoo or what ever it may be called.

Ancient magic tool tip

Level 77(+3 all skills from gear)

88.6% damage

Damage per hit = 2103

Then I put 1 point into Ancient Magic

Level 78

94.6% Damage

-48.6 % opponent immunities

Damage per hit = 2416

Now if my high school math is correct

94.6%-88.6% = 6% difference or a change of 6.77% (diff divided by original figure)

2416-2103 = 313 difference or a change of 14.88% increase in damage.

somewhere Ancient Mastery gave us an increase of 8.11% net damage above and beyound to increase in tool tip damage. I always assumed that to be the -% in opponent immunities.

So what do you guys think about this?

Interesting. Has anyone thought to check if ancient magic is actualy doing its resistance reduction even without mastery? Because if it was dpoing that big -48.6% all on one point id expect alot bigger jump in damage in that situation.

Interesting. Has anyone thought to check if ancient magic is actualy doing its resistance reduction even without mastery? Because if it was dpoing that big -48.6% all on one point id expect alot bigger jump in damage in that situation.

Well assuming what Slevin said is true. a 50% reduction in mitigation would have less affect on a monster with 10% Mitigation than 1 with 50% mitigation. But I think the Damage absorption from armor has to be related to mitigation even if they have different names.

I still would like to know what armor does if not absorb damage(Mitigate, reduce, absorb, immune) whatever we want to call it.

I edited my post about armour mitigation and highlighted that the mitigation from armour is not to be confused with the 'damage mitigation' from spells and items. I never had english at school so I lack the possibility to choose the right word if several describe the same effect.

Playing a weapon-less kungfu-dryad with disregard armour I think that ghost type enemies have physical damage mitigation. Normally a 5000 damage hit was doing around 12000-14000 if armour piercing kicked in. But will o wisps (ghosts) got only 2000 damage. So I suppose physical damage mitigation in this case.

Anyone remembers if ice spells with ancient magic mastery had an effect at x-mas island?

Edited by chattius

From what I recall when I played Trystesta in Niobium, I had 100% chance to disregard armour, and I was fairly certian that MOST enemies in Niob have some mitigation, but only of the types that they have armour against. Most of the enemies had some amounts (10-20%) of physical mitigation, but switching to an elemental damage setup I got very close to the tooltip damage (for Ravaged Impact) to occur. I reasoned that when the tooltip damage was being done, then all resistance/mitigation/armour was being ignored, but since I was only level 124, I didn't have 100% elemental conversion.... a lightsaber with lava socketed got me into the 95% fire damage, but I didn't get any higher.

Energy types I am 100% sure that they have lots (50% range) cold and physical mitigation, on top of their armour (which I was ignoring); that was very evident when I switched from a physical damage setup to an Ice setup to a fire setup (I didn't test poison against them).

Of course, this is for Fallen Angel console version, so no way for me to say what's happening in Ice and Blood or Community patch versions.