Temple Guardian Propelled Levitation

I have been bitten by the modding bug and it is all the fault of this forum for encouraging, supporting and helping modders! Oh how I wish I had never started this, but now that I have, I will not be satisfied until I get it done. Unfortunately, I just do not know enough to accomplish what I am trying to do. So can any of you help me solve my problem?

I have been thinking about playing a Temple Guardian for a long time, ever since Temple Guardians were mentioned as being a new character to Sacred 2 and that was at least a year before the game launched. So when I eventually got a computer man enough to run the game and managed to get a copy of the game I though, 'Yeah, Temple Guardian he will be fun to play'. WRONG! Not only is the Temple Guardian tricky to build, it is more hard work than fun. My innocent pleasure turned into miserable frustration and I gave up on him completely and turned to other characters. In fact every character except him! However since I have become more experienced and realised that it is possible to mod CAs etc, I wondered if I could make him fun to play after all with a little bit of tweeking? What did I want to do that would be fun to try, well how about if his 'Propelled Levitation' was in fact a buff? A continually flying Temple Guardian, the Ancarian equivalent of a Hell's Angel maybe?

I found the relevent entry in the 'spells' file and started playing with it. The results were wide ranging, from the sublime to the ridiculous (mainly ridiculous actually). My first attempt cut the 'jump' to a six inch hop, obviously not very helpful. Then I managed to make it into a buff, but it would not allow me to control direction, speed or shut it off, which resulted in me watching him fly through buildings, under mountains, over the sea and off the edge of the map! He would be still going if I didn't shut the game down.

After numerous attempts, I managed to adapt the CA so that he can now fly (under control) to anywhere on the screen, at which point he will land normally. I would love to be able to make it a true (controllable) buff however and wonder if anyone can make suggestions which might help me achieve that?

Here is the relevent entry in the 'spell' file;

mgr.defineSpell( "tw_te_levitieren", {

eiStateName = "cTwJump",

fxTypeCast = "FX_TW_LEVITIEREN_C",

fxTypeSpell = "FX_TW_LEVITIEREN",

fxTypeCastSpecial = "FX_TW_CAST_M",

duration = 10.000000,

animType = "ANIM_TYPE_SM11",

animTypeApproach = "ANIM_TYPE_SM20",

animTypeRide = "ANIM_TYPE_RIDESM20-SPECIAL",

animTypeSpecial = "ANIM_TYPE_RIDESM11-SPECIAL",

causesSpellDamage = 1,

tokens = {

entry0 = {"et_jumpdistance", 750, 0, 0, 8 },

entry1 = {"et_spelldamage_fire", 280, 140, 0, 133 },

entry2 = {"et_hits_persec", 2500, 0, 0, 4 },

entry3 = {"et_range_area", 200, 0, 0, 4 },

entry4 = {"et_VWboost_rel", 300, 200, 0, 41 },

entry5 = {"et_regThisCool", 500, 0, 1, 8 },

entry6 = {"et_range_area", 65, 0, 2, 4 },

entry7 = {"et_jumpdistance", 250, 0, 3, 8 },

entry8 = {"et_spelldamage_fire", 140, 70, 4, 133 },

entry9 = {"et_chance_break_root", 1000, 5, 5, 9 },

entry10 = {"et_hits_persec", 1000, 3, 6, 4 },

},

fightDistance = 525.000000,

aspect = "EA_TW_TECHNOLOGY",

cooldown = 30.000000,

soundProfile = 0,

cost_level = 50,

cost_base = 100,

focus_skill_name = "skill_TW_technology_focus",

lore_skill_name = "skill_TW_technology_lore",

spellClass = "cSpellTwLevitieren",

spellcontroltype = "eCAtype_m_move_jump",

sorting_rank = 5,

Changing entry0 from 750 to 7500 and entry7 from 250 to 2500 has given the best results for me so far. I am afraid to change things at random as I don't know what most of the numbers refer to.

Changing spellcontroltype to "eCAtype_m_buff", was what resulted in my uncontrollable flight.

Edited by podgie_bear
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure you can, since I think Sacred 2 is coded to treat PL as a point-to-point CA, which is a pity, since early in the beta it was a duration CA (like Dashing Alacrity).

mgr.defineSpell( "tw_te_levitieren", {
eiStateName = "cSpellCast",
fxTypeCast = "FX_TW_LEVITIEREN_C",
fxTypeSpell = "FX_TW_LEVITIEREN",
fxTypeCastSpecial = "FX_TW_CAST_M",
duration = 10.000000,
animType = "ANIM_TYPE_SM11",
animTypeApproach = "ANIM_TYPE_INVALID",
animTypeRide = "ANIM_TYPE_INVALID",
animTypeSpecial = "ANIM_TYPE_RIDESM11-SPECIAL",
causesSpellDamage = 1,
tokens = {
	entry0 = {"et_spelldamage_fire", 280, 140, 0, 133 },
	entry1 = {"et_hits_persec", 2500, 0, 0, 4 },
	entry2 = {"et_range_area", 200, 0, 0, 4 },
	entry3 = {"et_VWboost_rel", 300, 200, 0, 41 },
	entry4 = {"et_regAspect_this", 300, 15, 1, 41 },		
	entry5 = {"et_range_area", 65, 0, 2, 4 },
	entry6 = {"et_range_area", 65, 0, 3, 4 },	 
	entry7 = {"et_spelldamage_fire", 140, 70, 4, 133 },
	entry8 = {"et_chance_break_root", 1000, 5, 5, 9 },
	entry9 = {"et_hits_persec", 1000, 3, 6, 4 },
},
fightDistance = 525.000000,
aspect = "EA_TW_TECHNOLOGY",
cooldown = 0.000000,
soundProfile = 0,
cost_level = 450,
cost_base = 450,
focus_skill_name = "skill_TW_technology_focus",
lore_skill_name = "skill_TW_technology_lore",
spellClass = "cSpellTwLevitieren",
spellcontroltype = "eCAtype_t_buff",
sorting_rank = 5,
})

This was just a quick hack when comparing with my modified horse combat arts.

eiStateName = "cSpellCast", - changed it to cast, so the TG wouldn't be permanent flying as with jump

Removed cooldown, modifier for cooldown and jump distance. Added in more radius and a lower aspect regeneration time

Set horse animation to invalid

Raised regeneration time malus because it looked too powerful with a high buff and low ref time, but probably still too much damage.

spellcontroltype = "eCAtype_t_buff", changed it into a buff. No image in the buff box, but it seems to work.

No guarantee that I broke something else by doing this. I edited it quickly on a netbook without the game and let my daughter test it for 2 minutes on her machine.

EDIT: Think fight distance can be set to 0. The buff will not do the UFO or the Rocketman animation except when putting it up. It will do normal running or rolling wheel animation but with the booster flames on. Permanent hoovering animation would be problematic for Combat Arts executed while hoovering, while entering doors and small passenges, ....

Edited by chattius

That would be quite interesting Chattius, it would mean that you could have a TG that has Area of Effect (albeit short range) damage buffs for fire & magic. Add in Damage Lore... :P

The damage would be comparable to the melee range damage from Incandescent Skin, slightly more (3+2.5 per level) than the Sphere mod for the Inquisitor's Reverse Polarity (which is apparently fairly powerful later on). Perhaps it could be a change for the CM mod? :drunkards: You could then have a TG that uses the damage mod for T-energy Shroud & this for melee range damage (plus spamming Deathly Spears) & using Damage Lore to make them more effective.

Edit: Perhaps change mod #5 to block root rather than break root (I assume that break root only affects any roots in effect when the CA is cast, rather than as a buff when the CA would be in effect when a root is cast).

Yes. the modifers could be worked on. I think too that root breaking is only at begin of animation as it is now. But at least it is a buff now. Balancing the damage and modifiers needs some TG experience. My only TG was a just for fun deadly spears build without a battery and without an energy shield.

For a permanent UFO effect, probably renaming and copying the ufo animations to the wheel ones. But I have no glue how animation from Combat Arts will look then and where collisions are checked. UFO flying through a small door, weird idea.

For a permanent UFO effect, probably renaming and copying the ufo animations to the wheel ones. But I have no glue how animation from Combat Arts will look then and where collisions are checked. UFO flying through a small door, weird idea.

And yet cool... :drunkards:

Edit: I think the only downside of copyinng over the Wheel animations for the UFO animations would be that it would presumably always be in effect (ie, you'd be riding a UFO rather than a Wheel).