Staff shooting

I wonder, are there any people playing non-glitch staff builds?

When I first read about shooting staffs in Ice and Blood, I was hoping to finally build a "proper" staff-wielding mage. When it became obvious that staff projectiles count as weapon attacks and thus aren't really suited for spellcasters, I started planning a melee dryad (or inquisitor, they get high natural INT) with limited ranged ability. Could be fun. So, I made my first dryad, modded her multihit CA, crossed the Sloeford bridge, fired the CA... and pulverized everything in two screens radius. Whoa! :)

Now, I know it's a well-known bug, and that some people eagerly take advantage of it for super fast leveling, but it just doesn't seem fun to me. However, it seems this bug made staff lore useless once again - casters don't really benefit from this skill (not unless they also take tactics and something like speed lore to get a decent chance to hit stuff - hefty investment for a left click ranged attack), and fighters get the "multihit glitch". Kind of sad, really.

So, anyone here played a staff build not relying on the famous glitch?

Staff with combat arts:

Perhaps a Seraphim:

She doesn't have the full angle hitting of the dryad and inquisitor.

Her pelting strikes are like: hit the first target with a melee staff hit, then she will do bash animations and may hit distant enemies without a projectile flying. But the number of her targets is limited, there is an animation for each attack and no projectiles flying are at blowpipes too.

Also projectile attacks are limited to 3-5 targets, pelting strike is a mix: the first hits are melee range the rest ranged with no projectiles shown, so a limit of 7(?) for dual wielding seems no exploit. Someone playing one said that he explains the behaviour of his seraphim like: the seraphim projects her staff bash to a distant enemy, so it is like an invisble staff is created and bashing a distant foe. Much like the shadow warrior doing his attack with the shadow hand.

Character based on staff shooting normal attacks

Hard to design such a character. Dragon mage would be my choose.

Staff, tactics

armour lore, constitution, shield lore

dragon magic focus, mentalism focus, elementalism focus, concentration, combat discipline

Combat discipline is not only for combinations (they are bugged for a dragon mage), but to bring x% damage to all 3 aspects, quite same as from the lores. You won't get casting speed from not having the lore, but you can modify the companion to give some. You won't get modification points from not having lores, so you will only use 3 spells of each tree if the focus is at mastery. Since you are a normal attacker you can bring all 3 buffs really really high. I would modify the protector defensive and not for damage doing and send it versus distant enemy to bind it while you can shoot.

But you are right staff characters are not really supported by the new staff shooting either buggy all around hits or just melee bashing. exception the seraphim, where you can discuss if it is a bug, but if it is it is a very small one.

When I first read about shooting staffs in Ice and Blood, I was hoping to finally build a "proper" staff-wielding mage. When it became obvious that staff projectiles count as weapon attacks and thus aren't really suited for spellcasters, I started planning a melee dryad (or inquisitor, they get high natural INT) with limited ranged ability. Could be fun. So, I made my first dryad, modded her multihit CA, crossed the Sloeford bridge, fired the CA... and pulverized everything in two screens radius. Whoa! :(

Now, I know it's a well-known bug, and that some people eagerly take advantage of it for super fast leveling, but it just doesn't seem fun to me. However, it seems this bug made staff lore useless once again - casters don't really benefit from this skill (not unless they also take tactics and something like speed lore to get a decent chance to hit stuff - hefty investment for a left click ranged attack), and fighters get the "multihit glitch". Kind of sad, really.

Hmmmm, I have not experienced this staff glitch as yet and I am running both a staff HE and staff DM. Both are level 42 now in SP but neither hits anything more distant than the edge of the screen with their ranged staff attack. Is it a glitch on the MP servers or has anyone in SP experienced this glitch?

When I first read about shooting staffs in Ice and Blood, I was hoping to finally build a "proper" staff-wielding mage. When it became obvious that staff projectiles count as weapon attacks and thus aren't really suited for spellcasters, I started planning a melee dryad (or inquisitor, they get high natural INT) with limited ranged ability. Could be fun. So, I made my first dryad, modded her multihit CA, crossed the Sloeford bridge, fired the CA... and pulverized everything in two screens radius. Whoa! :(

Hmmmm, I have not experienced this staff glitch as yet and I am running both a staff HE and staff DM. Both are level 42 now in SP but neither hits anything more distant than the edge of the screen with their ranged staff attack. Is it a glitch on the MP servers or has anyone in SP experienced this glitch?

Any character with a multi-hit CA such as the seraphim with Pelting Strike, the dryad with Darting Assualt modded Rotate, etc.. will glitch.

it happens in Ice and Blood only

When I first read about shooting staffs in Ice and Blood, I was hoping to finally build a "proper" staff-wielding mage. When it became obvious that staff projectiles count as weapon attacks and thus aren't really suited for spellcasters, I started planning a melee dryad (or inquisitor, they get high natural INT) with limited ranged ability. Could be fun. So, I made my first dryad, modded her multihit CA, crossed the Sloeford bridge, fired the CA... and pulverized everything in two screens radius. Whoa! :twitch:

The best use of the staff skill in Ice and Blood that I can think of, is to add a ranged attack to a caster for RpH( regen per hit) or LL(Life leech). Your really not trying to cause major damage, just regen your main Attack CA to fire again. this allows for really CA levels,(and higher regens times) but with 1s or 2s of RpH you can really lower the time it takes to attack again.

And LL can be used as a Healing effect. just send a couple bolts out from a distance and you get instant healing and RpH.

Cheers

chattius didn't mention it but he made a guide with the RpH benefit of the Staff skill. I will see if I can find the link

Hi Trisse

The buggy all around hits as Chattius mentionned make for a super fast leveling toon... specially for a Dryad using Acute Mind... we were able to get Furian's Build up in the 160's I think with a closed build.

:(

gogo

Hi Trisse

The buggy all around hits as Chattius mentionned make for a super fast leveling toon... specially for a Dryad using Acute Mind... we were able to get Furian's Build up in the 160's I think with a closed build.

gogo

And it only took like 2 weeks or so...

That was fun to watch

hehe, yeah it was an exciting run. As well... running along beside soemone who is using one of these buiilds is like a free experience ticket... the ranged build just brings in so much experience... all the secondary toon has to do is watch it's back...and both can rocket through the levels.

Especially useful to level bargainers.

gogo

Ah, I noticed... she could probably take out half of Tyr Lysia with a couple DA's. I understand it has its uses, but frankly, If I wanted to up my experience count, I'd just edit the file accordingly (me SP only). Glitch aside, it's too much of a one-trick pony for me.

It's true Seraphim could work with this - PS already have a pretty good range (I'm regularly hitting things beyond normal melee reach), so a couple offscreen hits wouldn't hurt that much. Could go well with a Warrior/Celestial hybrid.

RPH does sound good. Such mage could skip tactics, as staff damage would always be negligible when compared to CA damage, but would still need staff lore and... speed lore, I guess? Still serious tradeoffs, but the ability to RPH at range is not a laughing matter either. Seems we're looking at something like Chattius's sohei build, but with staffs instead of polearms. Could be worth it, if only for the "traditional mage" feel. Guess I have my first Dragon Mage sorted out then...

And LL can be used as a Healing effect. just send a couple bolts out from a distance and you get instant healing and RpH.

Are there any staffs with LL? Static values will help with neither healing nor damage, and I don't think I've ever seen a %LL on anything but 2H weapons (but not staffs!) and shurikens.

There are no staves with x% life leech. For the seraphim and Dryad you can get it as a full set bonus. Another possibility would be to use dual wielding and staff lore, and then place a kaldur in the offhand. Sadly neither the set or dual wielding is possible for the dragon mage.

What he will have: lots of intelligence because of his companian. Sowith tactics and some rings with damage x-x later in game he may do okay shooting damage, but only normal attacks on single targets. But he will shoot quickly. So it was no character for my bad eyes and carpal tunnel syndrom in hands.

He will be able to do one shot kills on normal mobs in niob if well equiped.

Stats seem to give an x% damage bonus on weapon base damage. We will get high intelligence from the buff for the x% damage. But +1000% damage is still 0 if the base damage is 0. So we need equipment to boost the base damage. Damage x-x rings are quite useless below level 60-70, but once in niob they can go damage 50-50 or more.

Ah, I noticed... she could probably take out half of Tyr Lysia with a couple DA's. I understand it has its uses, but frankly, If I wanted to up my experience count, I'd just edit the file accordingly (me SP only).

That's why something like this is so useful to us. I and most of my friend play Closed net... so getting extra goodies like this is worth it's weight in gold, and is very rare when come upon.

The build is super useful for making a high level trader...and for building that network of trader's it's value is immeasurable. The fact that something as astonishingly fun as this works in closed is what makes it even more joyous.

joyous!

:bounce:

gogo