Why Blowpipes?

Ok so I've somewhat settled on a dryad once more cause it's just too annoying in this game to go chasing after the ranged base mobs when fighting. (Being on Console I don't have access to the staff trick, and I don't like using exploits so not using VD) But I gotta ask, why use a blowpipe really? Is it any better than say a bow (My preference anyway is a bow.)?

Instant travel speed.

No need to ever work on getting the package to the target. It'll get there, and all you have to do is make sure it hits (CTH) and has some damage. But , with five almost secured hits arriving in a fraction of a second, mosquito bite damage adds up quickly. It's why ranged Dryads are so powerful... pretty much nothing as powerful as pipes in the game. And when you build her for ranged... you also get to throw shurikens faster, which gets you on the same page as leech... hello Guardians raiding, and Legendaries.

:)

gogo

The blowpipe doesn't use a trajectory like the arc you get from shooting the bow or throwing a star. The blowpipe also is an instant hit. So when the mob is running across your path using a bow you can't hit him until he stops or comes straight at you. I believe on pc we can target ahead of the runner to hit him but that's a pain in the "you know". Also I believe the Darting Assualt modes for the 360degree hits is actually made for the blowgun. Sure seems to work best with it compared to bow or star.

Furian's got nice extra info. Also something else... is that the pipes come with some really nice percentages for all secondary damage effects.

Instant travel speed

built in secondary effects

... this all spells out doom for any approaching passersby

:D

gogo

Oh yeah.. and who doesn't think leech effects with a pipe are THE BOMB

Darting Assault

dafull.jpg

hola

gogo

Oh ok. I guess the times I was using the Blowgun and it missed the target were just cause I didn't have enough atk. Cause I did have a time where the blowpipe didn't strike the target once as he crossed by in front of me.

And so far the Dryad isn't bad. I'm a bit cautious to pick up the second buff Bark cause of the stupid Fire weakness to it. I've countered not having that buff by taking 5 points in Combat Reflexes and am aiming for Armor Lore and just using the heal which is really nice to have. But right now she's like....16 I think (Side quests are nice...but annoying to find again once you finish sometimes.) and she is sporting EP, CR, Barg, Ranged, Tactics

To counter againstmthem-20% weakness to fire start looking for, trading, farm for three pieces of the Eternal Flame Set pieces for dryads. I like the Helm, Shoulders, and Chest pieces. The Boar mini boss, Flame Lord, and the Forest Guardian drop them. Three piece gives you fire mitigation, also socketing a Dragon Amulet helps that does fire mitigation and fire dot protection.

The advantages to Ancient Bark well outweigh the fire sensitivity. Either follow Furian's suggestion, or avoid the fire based areas.

Blowguns are great because you can shoot and move at the same time, I find playing with a bow requires stationary firing in most cases.

Thanks for all the help with the question and more. And I've heard avoid this and avoid that but...I don't like missing out on something just cause of some mechanic that hinders a character. That and I actually play through the campaign. Though that's getting some what boring and I may go into gold just doing free world or something.

In addition to getting the specific sets Furian's suggested, equipping Fire relics will help as well, especially if you pick the Armour mod for Ancient Bark (it's incomparably better than the defence mod), as this will give you a % bonus to all armour types & if you can be bothered to make a buff suit (more hassle on the consoles than it is on the PC to be fair) you can cast AB at a much higher level & get more of a bonus to armour.

• 1 month later...

I like my Dryad best with blowpipes too..

But I am a relatively new player, I level up slowly..I am 36 level, bronze..have a long way ahead of me :D but, can you suggest which is the best blowpipe for the Dryad?

But I am a relatively new player, I level up slowly..I am 36 level, bronze..have a long way ahead of me :D but, can you suggest which is the best blowpipe for the Dryad?

Luckily for the Dryad, the blowpipe is special to that class only.

I can't say which blowpipe to use exactly, only which item modifiers I looked for,

Opponents level for Deathblow % (when the enemies health drops below this %, your damage doubles)

Regen Per Hit +X.Xs ( it gives an automatic regeration bonus)

anything with Sockets ( booster sockets allow you to smith/forge in any jewel you like)

Elemental Damage Modifier, The come with native Fire, Ice, Magic and mostly common Poison. I used to keep multiple blowpipes so that I could change the modifier depending on the monsters resistances.

cheers

Hi Lelopexa, just dug up this list of pipes put together by Woody. Not everyone will be lucky or have the bargainer to be able to have these...but it's Christmas soon, and we can always wish upon stockings:

List of Blowpipes

gogo

Good blowpipes are very rare on the PS3, not sure about the XBOX. In over 200 hours playing Dryad toons, my best blowpipes are:

level 89

no slots

Death blow 42.8%

chance to slow opponents bt 25% +5.8%

Chance to evade +78,3%

Tactics Lore +13

level 90

no slots

life leech +67

regen per hit + 1.8s

chance for weaken/burn/poison/freeze +10.1%

As far as trading for blowpipes, I have never done it and would never do it. I made a bargaining toon and took it to niob, but I find trading very boring. What I do instead, is get EP on every possible toon and always keep the chance to find valuables over %50, it usually results in getting a set/unique item once every 10-15 min of gameplay, also lots of 2-star items with nice bonuses.