Sword Weapons Skill - Will I get the bonuses if I already chose Duel Wield

Hi, I am starting to pick the game back up after awhile. Still very new to the game though. I have settled on a dual wield seraphim. My question is I already took DW so I didn't want to take Sword Weapons because they don't stack but without Sword Weapons will I not get any bonuses from the weapons? For example if a weapon says in white 6% extra experience will I not actually get this bonus without picking Sword Weapons as a skill? Thanks, for any help this is kinda of holding me up.

Hi, I am starting to pick the game back up after awhile. Still very new to the game though. I have settled on a dual wield seraphim. My question is I already took DW so I didn't want to take Sword Weapons because they don't stack but without Sword Weapons will I not get any bonuses from the weapons? For example if a weapon says in white 6% extra experience will I not actually get this bonus without picking Sword Weapons as a skill? Thanks, for any help this is kinda of holding me up.

If the bonus requires the SW skill it will say (Sword Weapons) in red in the place you see the +XX%. you wont see a number if a skill is required to unlock

Except for modifiers particular to a class of weapons, sword, hafted, etc. dual wield duplicates and replaces most of the attributes of the weapon and allows for higher weapon levels. I would just max dual wield and unlock the modifiers on swords with sword lore at one point if you want to take advantage of sword modifiers. There is no particular advantage to maxing both.

I have a level 45 dual wielding Seraphim, im not sure if its the greatest since its one of my first characters, but I went the alternative route. I left dw at 1 and have Sword Weapons at 45 along with Armor Lore, im sure im not making the perfect build but its held up so far.

You need sword mastery starting around level 100-120. You will run into blades which have modifiers unlocked by sword mastery. So if you choose sword lore mainly to unlock these modifiers: be consequent, bring it to mastery. Even some of the modifiers get better with higher sword lore. And you can always decide to use a x% lifeleech two-handed sword at bosses.

If you fight with combat arts: the doublehits you get from dual wield mastery or weapon lore mastery are not triggered.

If you don't want to unlock modifiers on a weapon: don't take a weapon skill.

If you take dual-wield and a weapon skill to unlock modifiers: keep dual wield at 1 for a long long time and push weapon skill to mastery. Counter the perhaps lower damage of your lower level weapon with some damage x-x. Probably the unlocked modifiers on your weapons have advantages- why would have chosen a weapon skill if not.

Edited by chattius

Ok thanks for the help everyone. I am still a little confused though because even without sword weapons I am able to sometimes get life leeched per hit or plus to certain combat arts. If the bonus is in white does it mean you get the bonus?

Also, I read that weapons look more visually pleasing once you unlock sword weapons. Why is this?

This is my build by the way.

Combat Tactics

EW Focus

CM Focus

Armor Lore

Dual Wield

RT Focus

Enhanced Perception

Last three skills trying to decide between Combat Discipline, CM Lore, Concentration and Sword Weapons, Constitution and Bargain. If you have any suggestions about the best plan it would be greatly welcome. I would only take Concentration for Cleansing Brilliance but not positive its worth it.

Ok thanks for the help everyone. I am still a little confused though because even without sword weapons I am able to sometimes get life leeched per hit or plus to certain combat arts. If the bonus is in white does it mean you get the bonus?

Also, I read that weapons look more visually pleasing once you unlock sword weapons. Why is this?

Combat Tactics

EW Focus

CM Focus

Armor Lore

Dual Wield

RT Focus

Enhanced Perception

Last three skills trying to decide between Combat Discipline, CM Lore, Concentration and Sword Weapons, Constitution and Bargain. If you have any suggestions about the best plan it would be greatly welcome. I would only take Concentration for Cleansing Brilliance but not positive its worth it.

When you check your weapon anything in white is already unlocked and will be an active modifier. Anything in red has to be unlocked by the respective weapon lore before it can be active. CM Lore will greatly enhance damage done by Radiant Pillar, Baneful Smite, etc. Raising it along with CM Focus will allow for quicker modding of the CAs. Cleansing Brilliance is very good for T-energy and undead but those creatures are limited to certain areas in Ancaria so once out of those areas you will not get maximum benefit from it. I take it you are planning to use only one buff, probably Battle Stance if you don't go with concentration? Personally, I don't use Bargaining as I tend to find a fair amount of set, rare, unique and legendary items exploring and doing quests. But many on the forum like Bargaining for their high level shoppers so personal preference rules.

Thanks again for clearing that up. Sword weapons is out because I want to be able to use hafted weapons if I find them. I guess I will take CM Lore so I have a better baneful smite and pillar. Plus, it will allow me to cast Hallowed Restoration faster.

I think I will take Concentration because I don't really need Constitution with Divine Protection, Battle Stance and HR. Cleansing Brilliance will only be modded once or twice. All I really want is the ability to slow enemies attack speed and I think it increases the distance I can see on the map right? One last question though do I want to eat runes for HR and Battle Stance? Say I can have HR at level 15 without reduction is it better to have a higher skill level or be able to cast it every 2-3 seconds so it stacks?

Thanks again for clearing that up. Sword weapons is out because I want to be able to use hafted weapons if I find them. I guess I will take CM Lore so I have a better baneful smite and pillar. Plus, it will allow me to cast Hallowed Restoration faster.

I think I will take Concentration because I don't really need Constitution with Divine Protection, Battle Stance and HR. Cleansing Brilliance will only be modded once or twice. All I really want is the ability to slow enemies attack speed and I think it increases the distance I can see on the map right? One last question though do I want to eat runes for HR and Battle Stance? Say I can have HR at level 15 without reduction is it better to have a higher skill level or be able to cast it every 2-3 seconds so it stacks?

The optimal timing of HR depends on your play style, defense values and level of mobs you are fighting. At lower levels you may find 5-7 seconds or longer acceptable regen times depending on how much damage your Seraphim is taking. Against bosses a lower regen is advantageous or a quick thumb on the space bar! My level 52 seraphim has a regen time of 6.4 sec with a level of 26 eaten runes. As you put points in stamina, concentration, armor lore and CM focus the regen times of the CAs will go down. As for battle Stance, the regen penalty will go down as you put points into the aforementioned attribute and skills (EW instead of CM) but you don't want too eat too many runes early on as the jump in penalty level is fairly large. I try to keep the penalty under 30% and monitor the regen times of my CA to determine when to up the level. Cleansing Brilliance gives a lot bigger area of light in dark areas and brightens them considerably. The range listed for CB is the area of effect and not the visibility on the map. There are items in the game you can socket to increase map visibility distance as well as light area .

Combat Tactics

EW Focus

CM Focus

Armor Lore

Dual Wield

RT Focus

Enhanced Perception

When you check your weapon anything in white is already unlocked and will be an active modifier. Anything in red has to be unlocked by the respective weapon lore before it can be active. CM Lore will greatly enhance damage done by Radiant Pillar, Baneful Smite, etc. Raising it along with CM Focus will allow for quicker modding of the CAs. Cleansing Brilliance is very good for T-energy and undead but those creatures are limited to certain areas in Ancaria so once out of those areas you will not get maximum benefit from it. I take it you are planning to use only one buff, probably Battle Stance if you don't go with concentration? Personally, I don't use Bargaining as I tend to find a fair amount of set, rare, unique and legendary items exploring and doing quests. But many on the forum like Bargaining for their high level shoppers so personal preference rules.

bargaining isnt for wep or armour. its for buying jewelry to enhance wep and armour. if your first char isnt a bargainer its just a waste for all other char after that will be able to reap benefits that a non-bargainer like you can phathom any lvl5 is awsome when just one peice of there armour has a +18 all skills jewelry in it... honestly I couldnt imagine playin level 25 niob without my bargainer. I dont even think it would be possible..