Halloween Celebration

Nice links, Eth

What about you... are you a real horror fan, agree/disagree with some of the choices?

I'm with Frosty, Exorcist, for me, was pretty creepy... probably ground breaking for it's time

:viking:

gogo

Scariest film I have EVER seen, is Magic, staring Anthony Hopkins. After all these years, it still frightens the hell outta me ! That ventriloquist dummy...........geez !

Second would be The Shining.

And third, but not last, would be The Thing ( 1982 version ).

Steve.................ohoh, I won't sleep now ! :viking:

Nice links, Eth

What about you... are you a real horror fan, agree/disagree with some of the choices?

I'm with Frosty, Exorcist, for me, was pretty creepy... probably ground breaking for it's time

:bye:

gogo

Ironic really, as a child growing up, I watched alot of horror films. My MoM is a huge horror genre fan. Still is even today, almost 20 yrs. after the events.

For me personally, although these films may not be iconic, JU-ON GRUDGE & RINGU take the title. The Japanesse have this genre! Simply EVIL.

I can handle with ease hack & slash type film. When the director starts getting into darker waters with spiritual manifestation. The type of film which raises hair on the back of your neck. Makes you think your hearing strange noises. Start closing your window blinds. Walking very slowely down your hallway off crawling into bed. The stuff of Nightmares.

This gets me everytime. Not in a good way either. When I think of truely scary films. I tend to lean toward films of this nature.

As far as the list is concerned. Exorcist hands down. Psycho for me would be somewhere in the 15-20 number range. But then again, iconic, Hitchcock was the first in many a minds eye.

I remain, :viking:

Loved magic! He's so young in it.... he's still the coolest now, but totally different in look from the old days.

:viking:

gogo

I have that movie on DVD.

It's still quite bad quality though.

The image is very polluted and the sound is low and gritty.

I thought the film itself was quite alright though.

But I didn't feel that it was very scary.

I think I would hold a button on Poltergeist.

Alright, the images might not be as shocking or scary like in The exorcist or The grudge/The ring, but DAMN the suspence and supernatural nature of the movie...

Rumor has it that they used real dead bodies from the hospital morgue because it was cheaper than making highly detailed corpses with hydraulics and electricity.

Also because the scene in the dirty pool would be dangerous for the actress if electric models were involved.

And besides, ever heard of the "poltergeist curse"?

This was based on the fact that some of the actors died shortly after the movie was released:

* Dominique Dunne, who played the oldest sibling Dana in the first movie, died on November 4, 1982 at age 22 after being strangled by her jealous boyfriend.

* Julian Beck, 60-year-old actor who played Kane in Poltergeist II: The Other Side, died on September 14, 1985 of stomach cancer diagnosed before he had accepted the role.

* Will Sampson, 53 years old, who played Taylor the Medicine Man in Poltergeist II, died as a result of post-operative kidney failure and pre-operative malnutrition problems on June 3, 1987.

* Heather O'Rourke, who played Carol Anne in all three Poltergeist movies, died on February 1, 1988 at the age of 12 after what doctors initially described as an acute form of influenza but later changed to septic shock after bacterial toxins invaded her bloodstream. At the time, she had suffered acute bowel obstruction, initially diagnosed as Crohn's disease, which may have been the cause of death.

Horror movies depend to a high degree at what age you watched them first and how you remember them.

I remember a dialogue when our oldest looked a vampire movie 2 years ago. Her younger sister (then 4) couldn't sleep and walked into the TV room and seeing blood running down a throat.

Oldest: 'It's only ketchup, don't worry'

Younger: 'Okay'

She was watching a bit. Then someone hold up garlic and the vampire was scared away.

Younger trying to understand the scene: 'Why weren't they using ketchup with garlic to make it appear like blood?'

Ketchup with garlic is her personal favourite. We were laughing and couldn't answer. But I think that ruined vampire movies for all time. Every time we watch such a movie:

The oldest says: "Ketchup, I want your Ketchup!' and the younger speaks like a TV Speaker: "The new XXX Ketchup with garlic, in case you need it. Now for offer for a short time: XXX Ketchup with garlic in the silver tin. Open it and use its razor sharp edges to fight werewolves. 2 beasts for the price of one! If you buy now you will get 2 tins for 1!"

Then counting down: "only 9, 8, 7 left, only 1 , sold out!" And then when the vampire bites: "You should have bought XXX ketchup in the silver box when it was still available".

Kindergarden age is a funny age. When kids try to understand things and combine arguments from different questions to do the next question. You have to be careful how to answer. Obviously saying that the blood was just ketchup had unthought comblications.

One of my favourite horror movies:

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari, old german black and white movie from 1920

It is fantastic if watched in a cinema, a small band doing more modern music and the light effects to nowadays standards, even laser. I think Caligari was the first movie with a twisted ending: The hero hunting the criminal for nearly the whole movie and it ends the hero being in a sanatory and the criminal trying to cure him from his paranoia, or is it really a criminal who is making the hero to believe that he suffers from paranoia.