Strange camera occurence/bug... that I wish was an actual part of the game lol

I've recently finally had some time to play the game, and I've dealt with a few pretty substantial bugs so far, mainly affecting the camera. Earlier, when I made a game for a brand new character I had just created, I wasn't able to move the camera at all. None of my arrow keys would respond and neither would the mouse; I ended up having to restart the game completely to get it to work again.

Later on though, something strange but very welcoming happened when I made another game - suddenly, my camera was completely in a "free-roaming mouselook" mode. Instead of just being able to move the camera horizontally with the middle mouse (as seems to be the norm in the game) I was able to move the camera everywhere, including up, down, diagonal, you name it. If any of you have played a game like WoW, it's pretty much like that - it was awesome getting that kind of camera freedom again. Sadly though, as soon as I left the game and made another, that terrific free-form camera behavior was gone. It was definitely the best bug I've experienced, especially in a game that has well err, what I'd call lackluster camera controls.

That all said, does anyone know if it's possible to add some code to the custom options to add the extra y axis camera rotation? I was doing it in the game because of the bug, so I figure there's got to be a way to get use of it by intentional means.

Anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask :viking:.

Edit: Oh, this is completely un-related but I wanted to ask about this too: what exactly are all of the empty servers on closed net for? Are they open for anyone? My friend and I have been making our own games, but if it helps with lag/performance to play on the other servers, that'd probably be way better. I just wanted to make sure that was ok.

Edited by Seilan
Camera view was discussed here

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8767

Post 46 in above thread would be the menu you need.

Oh I know all about the menu; I've probably fiddled with it over a hundred times already lol :viking:. I'm also aware of that thread - I'm actually using Schot's preferred camera settings as my own. I was just curious if it were possible to tweak the settings to get the free-mouselook mode that happened randomly in one of my games. It's the same kind of camera control you get in games like WoW, EQ2, and LOtRO, where you're able to move the camera in every direction using the mouse button. It offers a ton of camera freedom and I'd love to be able to use it in this game too.

Edit: Here we go, I think I found the options that I was looking for. In the "options.txt" file, it has this listed in the settings at the top -

cam1_rotx_emax = -1.22,

cam1_rotx_max = -0.99,

cam1_rotx_min = 0.05,

I'm just speculating here, but I'm thinking this is for the camera x-axis rotation, but you'll notice there isn't anything there for y-axis (which I assume is why the mouse only rotates the camera horizontally). So I was wondering if we could add the y-axis options ourselves in the "customOptions.txt" and then be able to use the freeform mouselook, that uses both x and y axis, like in most mmorpgs and such? I'd try it myself but I don't want to mess anything up so I was hoping someone who knew a little bit about this kind of stuff could give me some insight.

I'm likely completely wrong about this, as I don't know what most of the setting abbreviations mean, so hopefully someone can set me straight :).

Edit 2: After looking through more of the options, I'm pretty sure I really don't have a clue :) ; seems like a lot of options have that "rotx" abbreviation, so I'll just stop speculating.

Edited by Seilan

The empty servers are there for you to create private games with. As long as there's at least one you can create a game.

At game start screen in 'Gameplay' Options there are setting for 'Follow Camera' and 'Automatic Zoom Curve'. I have both options disabled and can basically move camera in any direction I want (combined with Schot's camera settings)

The empty servers are there for you to create private games with. As long as there's at least one you can create a game.

At game start screen in 'Gameplay' Options there are setting for 'Follow Camera' and 'Automatic Zoom Curve'. I have both options disabled and can basically move camera in any direction I want (combined with Schot's camera settings)

Wow, I'm truly in a "hang my head in shame" situation right now lol. I can't believe that it was as simple as disabling automatic zoom curve. I could have sworn the first time I tried it I didn't notice a difference, but I guess I wasn't paying enough attention. Thanks a ton Knuckles and Chattius - I'll make sure to pay more attention to details that are right in front of my face, from now on :P

Feel free to put this as resolved if you want :)

Edited by Seilan
No worries...I hang my head in shame at least once a day :P

Just glad it was something easy

Lol, I guess it's better than being completely 'shameless', right? :)

And that's true - it's just great to finally have free camera mode. Trying to dungeon crawl without it was a real pita :P

Edited by Seilan