How to Map the Crystal Region With Pure Melee?

Hey guys,

Any idea how to best go about this with pure melee characters?

My RL friend and I did runs with characters we were okay with losing, to try and bring that nasty bug out, and well, each time we went, he ended up getting the bug.

Both times we were lucky, in that it was only a 'fake' death, but its still not good for the blood pressure.

Any idea how to just map this area quickly without too much threat?

We aren't interested in the quests, or the phoenix etc, just want the map % for our magic finds.

Again, these characters are purely melee, with no options of magic spells.

Perhaps tote a gun? My seraphim has a decent gun, dunno about his SW...

We have built visibility range 'suits' but still can't think of a way to map the whole place that isn't going to take hours without fighting normally.

Thanks,

EDIT*

Has anyone actually ever 'died' to this bug? or is it always a 'fake' death? if it's always just a fake, might just run it normally and take our chances.... 0o

Edited by r00ster

The place is a pain to reveal map in, when I did my exploring there with my SW I got struck by the false death 5 times in 20 min.

Be ready to reload a LOT if you plan on fighting your way through.

Only viable option I can think of as a melee'r is only running around, and explore without fighting anyone.

Never died for real myself, but I think I read somewhere that someone did die while being 1-hitted out of nowhere, from what I remember they where un-mounted, so mayhaps the key to be sure you only have a fake death is being mounted at all times.

Thanks.

We as well were always mounted when he got the fake death.

I would even see his mount die, and throw him.

He, nor his mount has 'died' yet...

The 'fake' deaths you received spunky, we're they all from fighting?

We can only get the 'bug' to happen on the boars, and never anything just tromping around.

Also, side note, but Murphy's Law;

Decided to do a damage test from demon mages to my shopper seraphim, they dealt just shy 7k dmg, 4k with leech in Gold. Aside the point, it was on LAN... I forgot this, ran the guardians...

And a bloody legendary Aarnum bow dropped! lol, figures :/

I think I might try using an energy pistol for mapping this place though.

If no one reports that ranged to reflects or w/e. The 'Deaths Chirr' gun with seraphim makes very short work of ice based enemies even without anything 'ranged' in the build.

Cheers,

No, I even got hit by the fake death by running through the place, but that did only happen once though, and the rest of the "deaths" was from fighting.

Hmm, I think even ranged damage can get reflected, so you will probably just end up with the same bug then.

Heya,

been hit once, but also had succes stories with melee toons. Last time I did, I ran a DW seraphim through the region.... only running and mapping. Nothing happened that time around.

Greetz

Well, here's the plan;

I've run a test in a lower difficulty using my Deaths Chirr.

The gun seems to proc no reflect.

I then ran a test in proper difficulty, however on LAN.

The boars reflect melee often, for pelting strike was probably 2-3 hits out of 5 in sequence reflected.

I switched again to the gun, no reflect.

I think this might be a solution for melee characters for this region;

Bring something ranged, socketed with easy to get Silithar finger hoops for cast speed. 1 ring + dashing = 150% speed even with no weapon lore etc.

The combination of the deaths chirr (two conversions to fire, 1 shot almost anything in this region with it) and the silithars make it a very nice solution.

Too bad I can't use that legendary bow I found in LAN too.... it's so nice lol.

I will run this tonight, live, and report back if I die, or any strange events.

Hopefully I don't lol.

Edited by r00ster
  • 3 weeks later...

Just noticed this post. Exploring is my middle name right now so I'll watch out for more replies. I have an unused MOD so maybe I can buff Shadow Veall before I go there, seems one way to avoid combat. Maybe running, for example, a level 60 through there in bronze might help but I suppose it depends on how you approach the idea of mapping, I prefer to map while having to fight my way through.

Without wanting to stray off topic ... about the bug. If I one hit something for 10000 damage and the beastie's HP is 5000 would it reflect only 5000 or 10000?

Edited by Gordius