Disciples Iii

While I love action games like Sacred and Titan Quest there are times I like to take things a bit slower.

Hence my love also for turn based games like Age of Wonders, Heroes of Might and Magic and Etherlords II.

However these days good fantasy strategy/rpg turn based games are few and far between.

I have come across Disciples III and it's pretty good.

It's a light version of the genre with no complex resource gathering or diplomacy to worry about. The emphasis is on combat. But it's very much a "just one more turn" game.

The graphics are quite good and the characters have a very detailed gothic look to them. The narrator's voice is pretty pathetic but I like the various units voice overs. The campaign storyline is a bit "been there, done that" but it does contain a couple of nice twists.

The reviews on the game give it an average rating at best, but I think it deserves much higher praise.

Anyone else played it?

• 4 weeks later...

Turn based rocks! Some great words you've put here for this game, Stubbie. I remember hacking around with heroes of Might and Magic when it was out and about. always loved it's reference to Chess. Stewing in all the possibilities is wonderful contrast to the hack/slash mayhem of the ARPG I've been drawn to for years now. Maybe we'll look at something like this in the years waiting for Sacred 3?

Or maybe Guild Wars 3 beckons.

:D

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Disciples II was awesome. D3 is just bad. From turn based I strongly recommend King's Bounty, actually its only fights are turn based but game rox. And I am not saying these only beacause I am moderator of its official forun ^^. Dobri might second my words ^^

Disciples II was awesome. D3 is just bad.

Opinion noted.

But I disagree. Hence this thread. :tongue:

Oh sure there are better games in the genre but I enjoyed this game and stand by my comment that it deserves higher praise than reviewers have given it.

Well I say its like homm IV for me - this games could be quite not bad games if they were some other titles. But counting they are sequels of such great titles... gamers expected a bit more from them.

I personally enjoyed the graphics and hated the gameplay. Disciples 3 can be won on the highest difficulty with complete ease on the first go. Battles are easy, arenas are easy, capital capturing is easy... Disciples 2 was way better in my eyes. There, you had to work really hard to achieve something. In disciples 3 the game is either extraordinary easy (grab focus points and win) or extraordinary hard (AI passing through stationary enemies and capturing resources without fighting).

There's plenty to be improved in the upcoming patches and expansions. I agree that graphics are beautiful, but pretty face does not always mean a pretty soul :P

This is why I took King's Bounty over Disciples 3. Elwin knows that :)

Edited by Dobri

We will - I don't know when though. The laptop I'm using during my stay in Germany has only 32 megs of video ram and is far far away from Sacred 2 standard...