Lasting Effects Of Changing Balance.txt

Hi

Are there any lasting effects from changing the balance.txt file and then after I reached required level I change back to the original balance.txt file. Now my question is will the settings I changed make my character corrupt when I copy the old balance.txt file back?

AFAIK, nope. Balance.txt just alters the values, which aren't saved in the savefiles. Personally I haven't experienced any troubles when tinkering with balance.txt.

You could make some backups just in case. Always good option, even if one isn't modding a thing. ^^

Hi

Are there any lasting effects from changing the balance.txt file and then after I reached required level I change back to the original balance.txt file. Now my question is will the settings I changed make my character corrupt when I copy the old balance.txt file back?

Having done exactly this - I can report there are no lasting effects to mods made to balance.txt. The file contains values for how a game is to be played. Things like how much XP you get for killing a baddy at a given level, how much damage you will get from baddies when they attack you, etc... The only thing I can suggest is make sure that when you modify the file, be sure that the game is NOT loaded in memory.

While mostly what everyone has mentioned is true, do not mess around with everything in the file if you do not understand its purpose. I have once, in doing so, managed to change the experience required to get to the next level for my toon to something over 4 billion (at level 70ish) and gaining experience didnt cause a visible effect, suggesting an overflow in the displayed value...not a pleasant result. This appeared to have been saved into the characters savefile to as upon restoring default settings the character had the same required experience. However, back up both your save files and the files you are going to edit and you will experience no issues.