Jungle Region Name

The Jungle region is labeled The Jungle: Lions, Tigers And Bears! How did it get this name? Reason I ask is there are no Lions Tigers or Bears anywhere in the area. The only main enemies are Panthers, Garema's, Flying Demons and Hunting Spiders. It's not a big deal, it's just one of those little things that bother me lol.

I would like to re-name it to something else if no one objects and any suggestions are welcome. I'd like to change before I do too much more as I'll have a bunch of links to fix just in Places, Quests and Bestiary sections. (Unless Schot can somehow do a search and auto-fix on this)

As I remember, this region was mentioned only as 'jungle surrounding the ruins of an ancient elven civilisation'. And this region is an unexplored one. The only expedition you encounter got stuck at the very beginning and treasure hunters don't bother themselves naming things. So it can be named just 'the Jungle', to show that there is not many known facts about it. But Na'Fian definitely shound be named. Is it possible write its name separately (exactly where it is)? If not then "Jungle Region and Na'Fian" seems to be quite a good idea.

As I remember, this region was mentioned only as 'jungle surrounding the ruins of an ancient elven civilisation'. And this region is an unexplored one. The only expedition you encounter got stuck at the very beginning and treasure hunters don't bother themselves naming things. So it can be named just 'the Jungle', to show that there is not many known facts about it. But Na'Fian definitely shound be named. Is it possible write its name separately (exactly where it is)? If not then "Jungle Region and Na'Fian" seems to be quite a good idea.

This is just the header for the entire region. All major points of interest (including Na'Fain and Ceria Delith) are listed under the heading. I was looking more for a general description. For example, the desert it has the description of 'Nomad Lands'

I was looking for something more like this: The Jungle: Tropical Rain Forest

Then, maybe something like 'The Forgotten Land' or 'The Ancient Ruins' since everywhere you go you encounter the remains of an elven civilisation. It also may be named 'The Wild Land' since the only inhabitants are wild animals and savage haremas.

This is just the header for the entire region. All major points of interest (including Na'Fain and Ceria Delith) are listed under the heading. I was looking more for a general description. For example, the desert it has the description of 'Nomad Lands'

I was looking for something more like this: The Jungle: Tropical Rain Forest

Er.. The desert region has a proper name though - Bengaresh.

If I recall correctly the guys in the archeologist camp as you enter are looking for someone to defeat the monster in the ancient city (the Kral winged demon thing) so they can get inside and have a look around the city (and of course loot anything good therein...).

My 2 cents worth - the "city" of Ceria Delith is far too small for a proper city - especially one that was supposed to be the ancient capital of the Elven civilization. Look at the size of Thylysium. It's HUGE comparatively speaking. My feeling is the entire jungle region WAS the city of Ceria Delith and the jungle took over once the city got wiped out in the Great War.

I've said as much in My Christmas Present to the Community post - the 8th entry...

Edited by wolfie2kX

My 2 cents worth - the "city" of Ceria Delith is far too small for a proper city - especially one that was supposed to be the ancient capital of the Elven civilization. Look at the size of Thylysium. It's HUGE comparatively speaking. My feeling is the entire jungle region WAS the city of Ceria Delith and the jungle took over once the city got wiped out in the Great War.

The idea about its supposed size is undoubtedly true. It was said to be a great civilisation after all. But when I was playing this part of the game, I had a feeling that this city continues into some unreacheable areas in the bottom part of the map. And that those parts of jungle you can explore before you cross the river were some kind of city outskirts. But that idea is nothing more than my humble opinion.

I don't know about everyone else but I like Silver_fox's suggestion

The Jungle: Ancient Ruins has a nice ring to it for me

Works for me... Go for it.

Works for me too.

Hey guys! I think Schot added lions, tigers and bears as permanent record to map only...but for the wiki itself, the true page name is only named Jungle? Is the true page name of the page itself only Jungle? Is that the simplest way to name the page? I'm sorry we've both been away kind of last two days for Christmas, but Schot will be here soon to have a look at the naming scheme as well to help out. holee molee there is Christmas Wiki fever goin on while I've been away snacking on mince meat pies and safron, cardomom cookies!

:lol:

gogo

The full wiki name is The Jungle: Lions, Tigers And Bears!

I just felt it wasn't really accurate or descriptive of the area. I was hoping to change but I do realize it could cause some major headaches with the links. Hopefully Schot can run one of his patented "Search and Swap" magic routines and it will work.

Speaking of which, how do swamps get the name 'Home To The Nameless'? I feel like I've missed something. What are those Nameless mentioned in the name. And if those are the Nameless Guardians, then what their connection to the swamp is?

Yes, there definitely are such a lizards. Where is my head today (And what am I using for thinking)? But they are a cult not a clan. As I remember they are the lizards who are against the whole clan tradition. And they don't get much attention (at least in Light Campaign). Just a couple of side quests. In other words I'm not sure they are the first thing to remember about swamps.

Xmas madness is over. I'm back! The somewhat "colourful" names of the regions were primarily developed for my map because I thought the basic names were too boring. Sometime after I created the regions page in 2008 my map was used as a reference for region names on the wiki. At the time not much attention was being given to the regions page but now that you guys are working on it it's probably high time the region names be improved. "Lions, Tigers and Bears..." Was pretty much a personal chuckle to myself. I had been working so long on the map and the research required to name everything properly that by the time I got to the Jungle I was just tired. The previous region, Swamps, had worn me out. After much questing, talking to NPC's and reading of lore books I finally concluded that "Home to the Nameless" would be the most accurate since they are the most prominent culture in the Swamp. The mention of the most prominent culture within the region name seems to be how Ascaron began their naming scheme but in later regions let go of that format. That's basically how I planned to name the regions on my map. The place name + race with the most characteristics.

Now that we're revisiting the names I'm looking at the region page and thinking that they should all be changed. To their base names only:

Tyr Lysia

Artamark

Nor Plat

Dragon Sea Islands

The Swamp

Bengaresh Desert

The Jungle

Dyr Lain

Wastelands

Crystal Plane

The Cursed Forest

Granted I'll need to look at some more advanced commands to convert the corresponding links. The replacement technique I've been using feels too much like a hack... There's probably some more efficient scripting I could use and no doubt would be useful as the wiki matures.

Back to the whole jungle bit though... I agree with gogo. Although I really do like the sound of "The Jungle: Ancient Ruins" I think we should stick to our motto of "game is god" and use what the game has provided for the sake of accuracy. Creative descriptions can be left to the content that goes into the page content itself. :)

Yes, there definitely are such a lizards. Where is my head today (And what am I using for thinking)? But they are a cult not a clan. As I remember they are the lizards who are against the whole clan tradition. And they don't get much attention (at least in Light Campaign). Just a couple of side quests. In other words I'm not sure they are the first thing to remember about swamps.

As with the Orc region, they get much more play on the shadow campaign. When you first arrive in the swamps, you're directed to the town of Sethiaz - where you've got a few tasks to perform. One of which is to go to Skull Rock and kill something or other there. It's been a while, I don't recall offhand what it was exactly you were supposed to make extinct. You wind up being made a member of the nameless cult.

Whereas in the light campaign, you have to destroy the first swirlling mist critter and then you become a member of a clan and get a lizardmen style name.

Most of the quests for the shadow side in the swamp area are the opposite of the ones for the light campaign. In the light side, you have to take some names to a site to get the shrine built. For the dark side, you're supposed to raze the site and the workers there.

The difference - there are common quests in all cities for both sides to do. It's not quite as segregated as the Orc territory is.

The end quest for the swamp area starts off the same kind of way on both sides. You get a sidekick who follows you and battles the final miasma mist critter with you. But the dark side guy doesn't fix the pipe - he's just too eager to keep on going. And when you get through the tunnel to the Desert region and you're challenged to kill each other - the dark side guy gets to fight you and lose...

I was pretty sure it is so. My point here was just stating the fact that all the players would remember lizardmen, most of them would probably recall that lizards' traditions have a lot to do with names and families, yet only a part of them would definitely recall the Nameless Cult. So probably we should try to come up with more general description.