Possible Windows 7 Fix?

AMD 2.50 GHz Dual Core(64 Bit)

2 GB Ram

Nvidia 9800 GT(All graphics maxed/PhysX Mode enabled)

Windows 7 Ultimate

Sacred 2 Fallen Angel 2.43(Running Windows XP 3 Compatibility)

Country/Region - United States

Like everyone else running Windows 7, Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel crashes/lock ups HARD for me. During one of those crash/lock-ups, I did a CTRL+ALT+DEL to get the Task Manager so I could shut down Sacred 2. When I got the prompt to shut down the game, I click a button to see what was causing these problem and this file was shown - LaptopGaming_xp.dll.(Found in Sacred 2 system folder)

Every time the game crashed that file would be the culprit. As an experiment, I moved the file out of the Sacred 2 folder so the game could not access it. The crashes vanished but there was still another bug that could lead to a crash - the overworld map(M Key) not showing up except for Ressurection, Quest Icon, and Shop Icons.

There is another file I had noticed named - LaptopGaming_vista.dll while moving the XP file. I didn't think much about it because I'm not crazy/stupid enough run Sacred 2 in Vista Compatibility. However on a whim I removed that file also. To my surprise there was an actual improvement in game performance and even the Overworld Map bug didn't happen.

So what's going on?(Theories)-

Opposing Operating Systems - These two files are probably geared strictly for Vista and XP. Since I'm running Windows 7 and even with compatibility mode(not to be confused with the optional Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate[I wasted a hour of my life installing XP Mode and Sacred 2 won't even install on it!]) the file in question tries to treat the OS as XP or Vista which causes the conflicts and crashes.

"Dang it Jim, I'm a PC, not a Laptop!" - The file name says it all 'LAPTOP'. Laptops and PCs have their differences and again, these two files are trying to treat the rig as something its not.

"MAKE IT STOP! MAKE IT STOP!" - In the game Torchlight there is a 'Notebook/Laptop Mode' option. This can be turned on/off depending if a player is using PC or Laptop. Sacred 2 FA doesn't have that kind of option and I don't know if adding an exception line ("LaptopGaming_xp.dll=0" or whatever) in some TXT file will work or not. The easiest thing to do is just delete/move the files.

Concerns -

Since I'm strictly a Single Player Gamer, I don't know if removing those two files will negatively affect Multiplayer/Closed Net or not.

Bugs like having too much RAM - I don't know if these two files are the cause of that bug or not because of the PC/Laptop differences.

Laptop+Windows 7 - I don't have a laptop with Windows 7 so I don't know if removing the files will help or hurt.

Me but not you - What works for me may or not work for others.

I don't think this is a cure all for Windows 7 problems but for me its at least a decent start.

Edited by Graeystone

Very interesting experiment Graeystone and thank you. :) I'll have to give this a try sometime. You've got me very curious about it now. I have a Win 7 laptop but I've never crashed while playing it. I've never played on it for very long though. I'll see how long it takes for mine to crash if it will at all.

You're welcome. This mainly started as a way to stop the crashing when I quit the game and noticed a lot of improvements afterwards. A big one was when I clicked on a shop NPC, there would be one heck of lag for the shop window to appear.

I think I'll try running the game without compatibility and how that works without those two .dlls in the mix.

. . .

. .

EDIT - So. . .keeping XP SP3 compatibility on is a good idea no matter what. . .not only did the game crash. . .my Options(Graphics, Sound, etc.) were wiped out and had to reset them.

EDIT 2 - CRUD! Playing a bit more and the Overworld Map did go buggy on me. However when I exited out of the game there was not crash error so at least that's something.

Edited by Graeystone

I've had a few issues with Sacred 2:FA, but rarely ever had anything that drastic happen. Most of my issues had to do with save games refusing to work with a CtD (Crash to Desktop).

I've also seen the ultra transparent map - the one where only cities, world objects and the like would show up. The fix - save the game, exit and restart.

I could have told you XP Mode wouldn't have helped - XP Mode is not designed to run hard core game type graphical apps like Sacred 2. It's only real purpose is to run business apps that live well on XP but have major issues running on Win 7...

And one more thing - there's an even simpler fix for 99.999% of the issues you've outlined. It may not exactly be the cheap, down and dirty fix, but investing some cash in the Gold Edition (see the link at the top of the page) and patching it to 2.65.1 makes Sacred 2 run a LOT better than the CDV version ever did on Windows 7. The 2.65.1 patch helps with the compatability issues. Ever since I sidegraded I haven't seen the funky see-through map issue, nor have I had a lot of other problems with the game bombing out and crashing. You also get the side benefit of having the Ice and Blood expansion. Is it worth the $38.60 (current exchange rate pricing)? I'd have to say that it definitely is. The lack of headaches, issues and other problems is PRICELESS - still have a few minor issues pop up ever so often - but not nearly as often as with the US version.

Edited by wolfie2kX
Tone

wolfie2kX - Not everyone is able to get Gold/Expansion for whatever reasons (and work being cut back is a good enough reason for me not to buy Gold plus another reason I need to ask in a certain thread about) and I also brought up the point that what works for me may not work for everyone.

wolfie2kX - Not everyone is able to get Gold/Expansion for whatever reasons (and work being cut back is a good enough reason for me not to buy Gold plus another reason I need to ask in a certain thread about) and I also brought up the point that what works for me may not work for everyone.

I'll grant you that not being able to afford it at this time is indeed a good reason. I know it can be tough. I've had a few setbacks myself. Life goes on. If you want something, you can always work toward the goal. Throw $5 bucks a week into a coffee can or a savings account until you've got the funds together.

I'm just saying that the Gold edition with the 2.65.2 patches is a better solution.

I'm just saying that the Gold edition with the 2.65.2 patches is a better solution.

Well, if what he's done works for him then thats not true, he hasn't had to pay and he's solved his issues.

Except... He hasn't entirely fixed the map issue. He may have fixed SOME of the problems, but not all of them.

Well, if what he's done works for him then thats not true, he hasn't had to pay and he's solved his issues.

Except... He hasn't entirely fixed the map issue. He may have fixed SOME of the problems, but not all of them.

Actually...:

There is another file I had noticed named - LaptopGaming_vista.dll while moving the XP file. I didn't think much about it because I'm not crazy/stupid enough run Sacred 2 in Vista Compatibility. However on a whim I removed that file also. To my surprise there was an actual improvement in game performance and even the Overworld Map bug didn't happen.

Looks like its worked to me, actually, if it has its a rather neat workaround that graeystone has come up with.

Edited by Dragon Brother

@ Dragon Brother

You're welcome. This mainly started as a way to stop the crashing when I quit the game and noticed a lot of improvements afterwards. A big one was when I clicked on a shop NPC, there would be one heck of lag for the shop window to appear.

I think I'll try running the game without compatibility and how that works without those two .dlls in the mix.

. . .

. .

EDIT - So. . .keeping XP SP3 compatibility on is a good idea no matter what. . .not only did the game crash. . .my Options(Graphics, Sound, etc.) were wiped out and had to reset them.

EDIT 2 - CRUD! Playing a bit more and the Overworld Map did go buggy on me. However when I exited out of the game there was not crash error so at least that's something.

He did? Not the impression I got from the above post made a couple of hours after the one you quoted.

For what it's worth - during the time I had issues with getting Ice and Blood activated, I rolled the install back to plain Fallen Angel 2.43 and for the 2 - 3 days in question - I didn't see the buggy map issue - whereas using the US version I had on the box previously, it was pretty much a daily experience.

Edited by wolfie2kX

@ Dragon Brother

. . .

. .

He did? Not the impression I got from the above post made a couple of hours after the one you quoted.

For what it's worth - during the time I had issues with getting Ice and Blood activated, I rolled the install back to plain Fallen Angel 2.43 and for the 2 - 3 days in question - I didn't see the buggy map issue - whereas using the US version I had on the box previously, it was pretty much a daily experience.

Haha...I read that earlier..then promptly forgot it it would seem :) Well, I guess thats too bad then. Its really unfortunate how much the performance varies from setup to setup...some people seem to be really unlucky/lucky with their comps and this game.

Haha...I read that earlier..then promptly forgot it it would seem :) Well, I guess thats too bad then. Its really unfortunate how much the performance varies from setup to setup...some people seem to be really unlucky/lucky with their comps and this game.

DOH! Hate when that happens..

All I know - I'm speaking from sage experience. My early going with Sacred 2 was less than a rousing success. I'm thinking the CDV version has issues - even at the 2.43 patch point - that the UK version doesn't. Who knows... Maybe it's a DLL issue somewhere. I don't know. All I do know - the UK version of 2.43 was a LOT more stable and had fewer issues (like the map thing). I could even open up character save games that would CtD the US version. It royally sucked rotten eggs not being able to finish games I started. I'm now on my 3rd or 4th Temple Guardian. The first 3 all pretty much became unplayable - even in the UK version. But the one I'm playing now (knock on wood) is stable and playable - well beyond where most of the previous ones went belly up.