Installing Sacred 2 on external hard drive

Hi,

Got a quick question about using sacred 2 with an external hard drive.

Is it possible to play it from an external or would the game slow down and is there a way to change directory of the save games so it saves directly into the external drive insted of the one I got windows on.

Ah and what about the activacion thing so if I use it on another pc just got to reactivate it am I right?

Maybe there's a way to copi the activacion on the external aswell?

At leaste the config will create it self wouldn't it ?

Well at the end it wasn't that quick question xd.

Thanks for your time.

It WILL work, but you will get noticeable slowdown depending on your PC specifications. It would only run well on a USB 3.0 external drive and those are scarce at the moment. The save game directory cannot be changed as far as I know, but I've never tried that.

What do you mean with the activation "thing"? The code that came with your game?

This is pure speculation on my part:

I think the intention is to load everything on an external drive so that it can be played on different computers. I would guess that the registration is unique to a given pc and will not work on another machine.

It's possible to have an external SATA drive, but both computers would require the connection. Usually the back panel connector is only found on higher end motherboards.

Now I can see this being possible, the only real problem being that the game saves files in several places. The solution would be to keep all those files in a backup folder on said harddrive, then copy/paste them into the correct places on the other computer when you hook up to it. Then just be sure to copy your saves when your finished back onto the external.

I can see two problems that could prevent this from working. 1) registry entries. The game might rely on them in some way, making it not run on a machine it's not actually installed on. 2) performance. The game has a funky way of loading things which could severely hamper performance on a dated external drive. Hell, even with my internal sata drives the game has problems reading data fast enough, causing pretty terrible performance (reminds me of how bad Oblivion can be if you don't edit the .ini).

Well it seems to be better making an install for every pc than using the external.

At the end will be the same pasting around saved files and on the top having slow performance.

Thanks for your awnsers maybe the bring out some day an kind of external just for games would be really good having all games installed and ready for any pc could turn the pc in a kind console anyway im not familar with consoles but they also read the games directly from the dvd and there aren't any slow performances (at least as I can tell played just twice with my brothers psp 2).

So long bye.

Also consoles these days rarely just read from the disc. They cone with harddrives now for a reason :)

No u is right in his statement. All console games are tailored for the machines they will be played on. Developers can do this because they know exactly the hardware they'll be coding for, where as for pc's there are an unlimited number of hardware configurations. This is why we get so many setting options to choose from (well most of the time). Exceptions are when you get lazy or overconfident developers who just want to port a game over and be damned with customer satisfaction.

If you want to see one of the worst ports I've seen lately try Darksiders. The game lets you choose resolution and that's it. It took them about half a year to create the port :whistle:

By the way, lots of games pre-load a map. Games like Call of Duty already have the maps loaded when the game starts. This pre-loading will be a lot faster when you have the game installed to your hard drive.