Game Saving question on the PS3

Can someone help me find where I am going wrong with my saving? I will use an example that happened just last night.

We get 90% of our experience by running around grinding mobs and due to countless freezes we have lost prolly 1-2 lvls and had to replay them. So we got a timer, set it to 9 minutes and every time it beeps I hit start, save game, and continue killing.

Me and my GF turned on the res monolith thingy right before Faceletton (sp?) killed him, left dryad island, went to wastelands dock, turned on the arch portal thingy and went to orc lands to grind out level 65.

We were 64 3/4 of a level when the thing froze and I had prolly saved 5 times since we had gotten to orc lands. So I reload the game and we are at 64 1/4 level! lost about half a level :(

The only thing I can think of is, is that we dont wait until the save book? goes away before we go on killing FECAL MATTER!. Is this the reason?

Cheers!

That sucks! I am familiar with the need to save frequently. I often save during lulls in the action and continue hacking away before the saving icon goes away. It has never been a problem, but I do worry about it locking up before the save finishes.

Do I understand correctly that you lost multiple saves worth of play? How did you end the game (I.e. did the game lock up or did you do a Start-> Leave game)?

Edited by lujate

That sucks! I am familiar with the need to save frequently. I often save during lulls in the action and continue hacking away before the saving icon goes away. It has never been a problem, but I do worry about it locking up before the save finishes.

Do I understand correctly that you lost multiple saves worth of play? How did you end the game (I.e. did the game lock up or did you do a Start-> Leave game)?

I lost time is all really. The time taking to level up and its going to turn to hours later im sure. But that is unfortunate as I have taken every precaution in preventing my PS3 from overheating etc.

It happens and we are usually just running or something, 1-2 times in battle. The screen just freezes, all the noise is still going on, usually my GF DA run buff etc etc and there is no way to get out of it. No PS button too hard restart, nothing. So I am forced to pull the plug from the back of the PS3.

On a total edit sidenote..it has seemed to happen alot more lately. I have cleaned the disk mx times, put a fan on the PS3, not used BT all the time. It just freezes...my flat screen TV becomes a pusling target ring and my PS3 controller the arrow..and then I breathe.

Edited by Sincere_420

So I am forced to pull the plug from the back of the PS3.

Ouch that's just nasty! But have you tried holding down the power button for about 5 seconds for a reset, rather than "pulling the plug"? Not that it's going to help much as far as the save game is concerned, but just a friendlier way of resetting IMO? Does the PS button not perhaps function even though you can't see it? So that you can exit "normally" at least? PS button --> Left --> X ?

For me, I think holding the power button worked maybe once, the rest of the time I have to pull the plug (I have labeled it, so I know which one to pull).

I always assumed it was software-related, not hardware. In my case, I have no audio when it locks up. Fortunately, I have never lost saved progress, just un-saved. I did find that doing the occasional Leave Game seemed to help. I just exit to the main menu and hit Continue to start again.

I have held the power button for 10 seconds, trust me I hate pulling the plug but thats the only thing that works. PS button doesnt do anything, doesnt even alter the screen nothing.

Well im not sure what caused this but it has now become second nature, in fact im thinking its time to save before the timer goes off! so its nothing im doing unless its the fact that I dont wait for the save icon to fully go away before we continue on..but I highly doubt that equals 1/2 level 64 worth of experience.

Thanks for input guys, I wish to get this resolved if possible.

Oh man! I'm so sorry to hear about these PS3 woes... I only had the game lock on once, but I the power button reset worked for me. But I always wait for the save icon to go away before I continue playing, for whatever it's worth... When I exit the game, I always "Leave Game" and then quit game holding down the PS button - again: for whatever it's worth... :twitch:

Have you tried deleting the game data and reinstalling?

I did quite a few 30 minute grinding sessions in Free World to measure xp potential. During those sessions, I never once had the game lock up.

Try this, every 30+ minutes when you come to a portal/monolith do a Leave Game and then Continue from the main menu.

It's a familiar story, and it certainly can't be the hardware at fault since other games have ran just fine for hours. :P The one good thing is that when the game does lock up, the power button simply needed to be pushed. No unplugging needed. The last time I played, it was, what, four hours straight going solo, and the game didn't lock up on me that time. Guess it depends on the mood?

I become too sometimes crash, but in MP modus thats happening often and only unplug kabel work. Normaly il save every 30 min

I had this happen to me a couple of times. It seems that there may be a bug with the Monoliths saving experience/Level stats. However, it does seem to save any items you have picked up or used, like potions and it also saves your location. It is odd, like it does a partial save of your location, but nothing else.

I had issues with the game locking under the following circumstances.

1. Too many active side quests.

2. Having people follow you around from unfinished side quests.

I am leaning more towards #1 being the primary cause than #2.

My experience:

Silver - activated very few side quests, didn't freeze much at all

Gold - Activated quite a few side quests, but didnt complete many of them - froze quite a bit

Platinum - Activated 1-2 side quests at a time, and completed them before activating more - froze a little, but not too much

Niob - Activated no side quests unless I intended to finish them right away - rarely any freezes - maybe 1/50th of what I had on Gold.

My system rarely freezes during free world play, I had most of the issues during campaign. It does freeze on occasion, but it is very rare in free world.

Disable - Gore and Buff Effects - speeds up play a little, and keeps the system from having to display these constant effects.

I never unplug my PS3, there is a power switch on the back of it similar to a computer. At least on my PS3 there is.