Dragon Age 2 - Anyone here going to give it a spin?

Will you be giving DA2 a buy?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be giving DA2 a buy?

• Absolutely! Looks great!
    • Maybe. You've got my interest.
    • No. Doesn't interest me.

Well I finally forced myself to finish the game.

It took me 60 hours so I got my moneys worth.

The production of this game is about the best I have experienced. Graphics, voice acting, cinematics, all top notch.

The story was interesting but it seemed to lack any focus. I just felt I was doing a lot of quests simply because there was nothing else to do.

However the final chapter was very interesting and I had some moments where I really agnognised over what decisions to make.

However the combat gets a big fail from me.

Originally it seemed very impressive but it soon became apparent that this was a game designed for the console and ported to the pc. All the strategy had gone that was there in Dragon Age Origins.

The main fault was the inability to zoom out and strategically observe the battle field.

Instead you get a much closer combat zone which in most cases just turned into a frenzy of graphical colours. I did not enjoy the combat and I ended up setting the difficulty to casual, simply to bypass it.

Whereas in DAO I stepped up the difficulty to hard to enjoy the strategy involved.

I might play the game again if only to try playing as a female main avatar. I would also like to try and see if I could play the game without having 3 companions all the time. It might make the combat less frantic.

I give DA2 a 6/10 and a sad sigh :sigh:

......it could have been so much better.

Edited by stubbie

I rather agree about the combat, doesn't help that for some reason your companions like to run to random places whenever you're not actively controlling them, and that they sometimes don't follow tactics very well (maybe my tactics priorities are set up wrong but I swear no matter how I set them up I can't get aveline to tank very well). While I enjoyed it, I'd have to agree with what others have said, having enemies jump out of nowhere from many places around you ruins whatever tactical setup you had going (what use is it to block a doorway with your tank when enemies spawn and run up behind you?). My 2 biggest problems with it though are that it has no new game+ (I feel this game and origins are both perfectly suited to have it, and yet for some reason don't), and the cool mage ability (the spectral hands in the preview trailer AND they opening game sequence) is (semi-)inexplicably absent from the game. I'm hoping these problems are fixed with patches/in any upcoming dlc, but considering that they made an expansion and a bunch of add-ons for origins w/o adding new game+ I'm not going to hold my breath...