Will installing the CM Patch harm existing characters?

I have not yet installed the CM Patch because I still played Closed Net. Well I have given up on Closed Net and exported my character for local play. I would like to use existing characters with the CM Patch, but IIRC that can cause issues. Is it OK to install the CM Patch and continue with existing characters, or should I really start over (:eek:) if I want to try the CM Patch?

Hey hey, no worries. you can install the CM-Patch and use your existing toons no problem. The issue that you might be referring to is when you take a toon that has CM-Patch equipment and then disable the CM-Patch and try playing again. What happens is that you will lose the CM-Patch equipment.

So what I do is export my HC toons, install the CM-Patch, Play on LAN. When I get the urge to, I will disable the CM-Patch and play on HC closed net. I will not enter a LAN game unless the CM-Patch is reactivated.

There's also a potential issue with hosing your completed quests if you add the CM Patch, play and then remove it. If you're going to play with the CM Patch, then it's not a good idea to remove it - or then yes, you will be better off starting over.

Adding CM does nothing bad for the existing character. Removing CM would result in some issues for the characters that were playing with CM. So you can unstall it and continue with your characters. The only possible bad possibility is that a couple of bugged quests would be marked failed in the logbook even though you've completed them successfully (if you haven't done them yet that nothing bad would happen).

Adding CM does nothing bad for the existing character. Removing CM would result in some issues for the characters that were playing with CM. So you can unstall it and continue with your characters. The only possible bad possibility is that a couple of bugged quests would be marked failed in the logbook even though you've completed them successfully (if you haven't done them yet that nothing bad would happen).

You will also loose any CM patch gear you found when you load the character again with vanilla Ice and Blood, ofc.

I am not sure where exactly it happened, but some changes (mostly undesirable :sigh:) did happen.

Item modifier changes (from -- to):

RpH +1.0s -- Chance for Poison 6.5%.

Max shield energy +27.2% -- Max shield energy +13.5%

Combat Values (Shield Lore) -- Defense Value +33 (Armor Lore)

I exported my DW Seraphim from Closed Net, closed Sacred, applied the CM patch, restarted Sacred and loaded my Seraphim. I played for a few minutes before I noticed the regen issue. I checked and realized my RpH was gone, so then I compared all of my equipment back against the Closed Net version.

Edit:

I just discovered that the Sacred Tool that I run created a backup of my character when I exported her from Closed Net. I restored from backup, and my RpH was still there, as was the Combat Values, although the Max Shield Energy had already changed. This was without the CM Patch.

Edited by lujate

Well, I strongly recommend backing up your exported toon before playing it with the cm-patch.

As far as we know the patch doesn't harm the old toon, but you may get some strange behaviours or erraneous entries to the logbook. The reason is simple: We use some quest-ids reserved for testing to bulid new quests or parts of quests, so depending on what you've done before applying the cm-patch some of the new quests may be described as active or even done.

CU Marcus

My logbook seems to be just fine, in fact the Finally Rich quest that I had previously completed is now actually marked as complete.

Other than the item modifiers changes, everything looks. I did a little shopping and replaced the RpH, and I can live without the others.

Thanks!