Engadget - Large Hadron Collider smashes beam intensity record, inches closer to discovering God particle

FdmNews

4-22-2011lhcrecord.jpg

Already a record holder for mashing protons together at 7 TeV (trillion electron volts), the Large Hadron Collider can now add world's brightest beam to its list of accomplishments. Beam intensity is a way of measuring the number of collisions in its 17-mile-long track, and a higher intensity means more impacts -- which, in turn, means more data, increasing the likelihood that the elusive Higgs boson will rear its head (should such a thing exist). The LHC smashed the previous luminosity record set last year by the Tevatron collider. What's next for the CERN team, with two world records under its belt? Largest beard of bees. Continue reading Large Hadron Collider smashes beam intensity record, inches closer to discovering God particle.

Does anyone else find this stuff interesting at all? Currently, part of my degree at uni is physics and while we don't really cover much on this sort of stuff there are mentions every now and again and its rather interesting.

When I did my diploma our university did math code for GSI at Darmstadt. GSI= Gesellschaft für SchwerIonenforschung = company for heavy ion research. The guys at GSI discovered 4-5 new elements. While at university we visited GSI several dozen times (same german state) and CERN 4 times. One of the people from my workgroup at my university is now at CERN. The physical department of my university did the ion engine for the artemis satellite. We did a weekend full of party when the satellite reached his final orbit. The last chemical rocket booster failed and it was too low in orbit. The experimental ion engine was re-programmed and used its full half horsepower to move the satellite to its planed orbit. Somehow I think that mistakes which are turned to success are most impressive - something like Apollo 13.

Edited by chattius

Does anyone else find this stuff interesting at all? Currently, part of my degree at uni is physics and while we don't really cover much on this sort of stuff there are mentions every now and again and its rather interesting.

I did have a fascination with these types of buildlings. Mostly because they are hugely, long buildings...miles and miles long that circle areas right? And if anyone's gonna make a hole in the universe it's gonna come from one of these places ^^

Plus... the last Terminator featured one

:D

gogo

I did Physics with astrophysics at uni & my favourite course (in the first year at least) was PPC - Particle Physics & Cosmology, ie, this stuff (mostly). Also, TeV = Teraelectron volts...