Ford, Google Team Up to Make Smarter Cars

Ford, Google Team Up to Make Smarter Cars

Ford_Google_Prediction_graphic_FINAL1.jpg

"Ford is joining Google to develop cars smart enough to know where you’re going, and how best to get you there so you don’t waste time in traffic.

The automaker is tapping the power of Google’s remarkable Prediction API to create cars that determine where you’re going by examining where you’ve been. It’s the latest example of the auto industry calling on Silicon Valley as software takes on more tasks in our cars. It also underscores the tech sector’s growing interest in the automotive sector as Microsoft, Cisco and IBM develop new technologies and markets.

Ford has been way out in front in this arena since introducing Ford Sync in 2007, and the Google partnership announced Wednesday at the tech titan’s I/O developer conference could strengthen its lead.

In a nutshell, the Prediction API adds pattern-matching capability to existing cloud-based datasets, using it to predict probable outcomes for current events. Using it in an automotive setting would allow our cars to effectively learn from our behavior and adapt to it.

“We take examples from the past and apply machine algorithm learning to find the best model that fits the situation,” Travis Green, Google’s Prediction API product manager, said."

Read more here

I'm not sure I understand this though... does this mean that... we're going to let Google figger out where we're supposed to be driven for the day?

:unsure:

gogo

Save money, stay away from this. Imagine a car recognizing that it is driven on a certain road:

Car: "Are you driving to the motel like every tuesday evening?"

The wife: "What?"

Car: "Sorry, my voice recorders just detected that you are Mrs and not Mr Smith."

The wife: "Please call a good divorce lawyer!"

Car: "Google just bought a good lawyer company, may I do a call?"