Has anyone here ever tried Silverfall? I picked it up yesterday in hopes of having a less "intense" hack and slash. Sacred has always been awesome, but it requires a whole lot of planning and you fight a lot of huge mobs, sort of making this over powered beingin the process haha.

Silverfall has not let me down so far. I really like playing a goblin or a troll haha.It's a bit more slow paced in comparison (you can't mow down huge mobs, as you will surely be destroyed) but the enemy designs rock and the combat is awesome!

YOU would love it since it's based on steampunk haha. Idk if the game still have sites up since it died out after acred 2 came out...not sure if the release had something to do with it but the french publisher didn't support the game outside of france, and it wasn't well advertised. The reviews on it were trash, but after the expansion it had a lot of fixes and now works like a charm.

You get to choose from 4 races, Human, Elf, Troll, and Goblin. You can choose from the Lizardman and the Drawf in the expansion though; you get to make choices on your affinity during the game, so you can choose nature or technology (steam). You get companions throught the game, most of which help you out A LOT as the game is difficult...a few more than 3 enemies tends to look bad for you, and you tend to run into monsters that are quite large, or do a lot of damage in forms of direct AND dot.

I love it because it's got too much of Sacred 1 in it; the UI looks a lot like it in fact. You can specialize with any class, so a Troll can be just as effective with magic as the elf, but each race has specific skills and weapons that make them differ in this, so elves tend to be better with magic, but only because of the race specific skills; they all start with the same attributes and outside the race specifics have access to the same skills (and there are numerous skills).

The map is set like that of Sacred 2, but since it's much more difficult, it will take longer to explore...sacred you can mop the floor with huge mobs and uncover the map fast just by moving, but silverfall levels enemies with you, so they are always powerful and give you good experience. Not to say your character won't become OP, it's just that it takes some time for that to happen to where you can take down the mobs of 30+.

Check it out; they have demos on steam or online, it will let you try out the game and see it's awesome magic system as well as an interesting, but slower paced hack and slash RPG with a lot of fun factor tied in.

Too bad it didn't get as much attention, I love the graphic style in it.

Here is the trailer

BTW, this didn't show any bosses, just large enemies that will also get champion forms.

I think Sacred 2 is better in a lot of respects since you really get to "build" your character, and it's multiplayer rocks since you can mow down enemies twice as fast...but sometimes Sacred 2 needs to have a break, and this game is perfect for it. The multiplayer is awesome andworksover hamachi, but it's slower paced since you still wouldn't want to run into a mob haha.

Edited by Omunall

15.00 U.S. dollars will buy both the original and the expansion (stand alone) on Steam. The minimap is a bit quirky on the original. I haven't played the expansion yet. Graphics ok and I am enjoying so far. Worth the money in my opinion

Yeah I noticed the differences of the non addon version. I love the expansion, while I'm not running a Lizardman yet, I'm going to after the goblin (I want the lizardman pure nature for the werewolf transformation) I'll have one of those as well. Check out some player patches, I found a few that give better fixes like reward differences and mod choices.

Also, goblins rock :)

Hey thanks for reminding me that I have this game and haven't played it fully yet :) (I've got heaps of games in that boat actually) :blush:

From memory, and for the short time I played it, I think I liked it but it didn't run too well on my pc. Also I think some other game came along :whistle: and took all my attention, hence why I didn't play much of it.

I'm going to have to drag it out and give it a run again. Hopefully it likes Win 7. :unsure:

I installed it first waaay back, only to notice it didn't like to run on my comp at all. Very very laggy...

Still, I'm having a lot better comp now. Should try it again, for the hell of it. :P Thanks for the reminder, Eric. :)

Just remember to download the newest drivers from tages if you are runningwindows 7 (there are two, 32 bit and 64 bit). That's about all that it needs to work right.

Also, the game was poorly optimized for PC back then, but it needed some unusual specs (huge video ram and little cpu ram...Holy Hannah!?)

Anyway, the PC I'm running is just a laptop but I've yet to see any issues when running the physics and everythingat max. It's actually quite pretty IMO, just waiting to get to transform into a werewolf :)

Beautiful looking game. Looks like a delicious hodge-podge of high fantasy and surprises.

Definitely a very magical looking game, the effects are, IMO, nicer than those in Sacred. And if you're saying that the build system is fun, I'm surprised that I hadn't more about this earlier, or that more peeps weren't shouting out more about it.

Was it a bit hit?

Or a secret underground dark horse favorite like Sacred?

:)

gogo

Beautiful looking game. Looks like a delicious hodge-podge of high fantasy and surprises.

Definitely a very magical looking game, the effects are, IMO, nicer than those in Sacred. And if you're saying that the build system is fun, I'm surprised that I hadn't more about this earlier, or that more peeps weren't shouting out more about it.

Was it a bit hit?

Or a secret underground dark horse favorite like Sacred?

gogo

Well it was neither actually haha. The dev team wasn't very well known (and has since split off to a company called spider) and the game wasn't supported/advertised well. They didn't take care of the german and US releases, and only yhe french release. This caused the game to get a huge lack of attention to where it never achieved that cult following that Sacred has gotten, and never got popular enough to where it went mainstream...which is sad as it's a perfect example of cult hit gaming.

Sacred is a very original hack and slash that helped it get away from the "diablo clone" category, and it makes for a great game to play. Silverfall was more like a huge project of ideas. The developers had artists create the game world before they had programmers, and they pretty much told the artists to come up with anything they wanted...and told the programmers that they had to do it like the artists said, or just not work there lol. It's awesome to see how much work they put into it, and how you develop a character.

The build system is interesting. Each class gets racial bonuses; The goblins have bonuses to magic resistance and ranged attacks; specifically guns, while something like the troll gets pure melee bonuses like chance to hit. This means they can specialize easier, but can do all the same. You could easily have a goblin shaman necromancer battle mage that can wear heavy armor. All the racial specifics are is things to boost your specialty, but you get a nature or technology tree that can take the hit for the class differences.

Nature gives things like an essential "ancient bark" (damn near the same name as the dryad lol, same type of skill in a way) and things like mana regen over time. They can also raise nature creatures and turn into werewolves. The steam trees give you steam powers, implants, etc. You can summon a robot to fight by your side, and things like that. You also have the trees that magic has; elemental attacks, Area of Effect, freezing, healing, summons, weapon buffs, passives, DoT attacks, dark attacks (curse and debuff as well as powerful magic). The melee trees depend on what weapon you use; if you are using two handed weapons, you get speficic attacks. The same goes for single handed, fist, and dual weild or sword and shield. This allows you to specialize depending on the weapon class you like best. Ranged works the same (crossbows are awesome since they get a knockback shot) and they work the same way. Magic is the only one that doesn't have a weapon specific attack set. Armor and weapons are level and attribute focused (you may see a two handed sword that needs 35 strength, 12% technology, 14 agility, etc) and then see another two hander that needs nature and intelligence, so any class gets to use anything, it's quite unique.

It all really depends on your preference, and the fact that even a goblin can be a great mage and rival the elves, but has ranged attacks to use instead of a magic attack increase because of the races. Making focused classes with an alignment focus and weapon class focus and racial benefits causes an interesting tick in your head if you like to optimize.

Also the game has an awesome crafting cyctem that has you hunt enemies on runs for parts.

Another thing is that the game has no fansites to speak of an zero info on a wiki...it's sad :(

Edited by Omunall

Sounds pretty cool, might have to try it out. So are the classes in the expansion also useable in the main game? or is everything self contained in the expansion?

You can use the two classes in the vanilla, starting at level 1. You can also use any of the originalfourin earth awakening at lvl45 to start, so you can play from the beginning with all 6, I main a lizardman so far, level 16 lol

Sounds pretty cool, might have to try it out. So are the classes in the expansion also usable in the main game? or is everything self contained in the expansion?

Just to clarify....

If you have the original game and the expansion you will be able to start at either level 1 if you want to play the original campaign or level 45 if you want to start the expansion only campaign.

All six races are available no matter what campaign you choose.

I highly suggest if you get the game to make sure you do get the Earth Awakening expansion as well.

It contains all the necessary patches (the game was buggy as hell on release) as well as a much improved interface, among other features.

edit:

Happy to report that the game with the expansion is compatible with Windows 7 64 bit as well.

Though it is still a resource hog and even with a beefy pc you might need to lower the graphic settings somewhat.

Edited by stubbie

^^What he said.

Lol, sorry, I wasn't being too clear on it. The game isn't that bad on your PC imo. Perhaps at the time of its release it was, but now a day it's on the bottom end of the spectrum. (I can't even run Deadspace 2 on this PC, and Mass Effect 2 only on medium, but Silverfall can run full blast without issue).

It's a fun game though; I'm liking the nature path at the moment.

I played Silverfall plus the Earth Awakening expansion. It's a hack and slash game, but I found the expansion interesting enough to make a walkthru for it. I tried submitting the walkthru a couple of times to GameFAQs but it was never accepted.

There are choices of Nature or Technology in the game, but you are better off choosing one and sticking with it. I posted some map screen shots a few months ago to my Photobucket at http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb15/DaveO-MM/?start=all

P.S. - Atari used to have Silverfall + expansion on the new forums, but they were eventually removed. The old Atari forums are still around with topics that may help new players. The link for those forums is http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=498

Edited by DaveO

I played Silverfall plus the Earth Awakening expansion. It's a hack and slash game, but I found the expansion interesting enough to make a walkthru for it. I tried submitting the walkthru a couple of times to GameFAQs but it was never accepted.

Do you still have that walk through Dave?

Can you post it here? I'd love to have a read if you don't mind

gogo

• 2 weeks later...