Narmul the Ice Phoenix

Hi guys, first time poster here~

I just finished the game with a blowpipe dryad using Schniepel's guide, was a lot of fun.

One question I have is about the Ice phoenix boss, that thing hits harder than any other boss in the game in Niob (for my char at least)

When I fought it I was level 123 with about 28K life (21K dismounted), 12K ice resistance (relics), mastered spell resistance and Goldenglade healing for about 6k/sec.

Survival bonus was at about 85%, so it was about 17-18 levels higher than me.

The dragon strike attack would nearly redline me, the ice shower attack would do the same, and if I stayed for a split second too long in the ice shower I'd get redlined.

(This happened with Goldenglade running, so I was pretty safe since the phoenix doesn't spam spells, but redlining is not fun :P and I was surprised with the damage

I took even with Goldenglade greatly boosting Willpower).

In contrast, none of the Nameless Guardians could get my life below 60%, which was instantly refilled by life leech (full Detheyas) and Goldenglade.

Also, all the obstacles in the ice phoenix's arena makes it hard to dodge the spells without using Forest Flight, but that skill has a long cooldown

(although I did find it easier to move around and dodge when I dismounted).

So I guess my question is: Is the ice phoenix supposed to hit harder than even the end-game bosses, or am I doing something wrong?

(I read in the wiki that the phoenix's spells do ice damage, so I used ice relics). Seems a bit strange that the Guardians were relatively easy while this guy

was a heart-pounding experience all the way.(It did feel really good after I beat him though :) )

Thanks~

Edited by OutoftheBlue

No, it's not just you. Narmul IS more dangerous than the Nameless Guardians, and so is the Abishai of Dissension (and frankly you could make a good case for the Garganthropod as well).

Personally I was dissapointed in the Nameless Guardians. The only thing they got going for them is that there is four of them. Now, if all four were active at the same time. THAT would be a battle.

I have not made it to the Crystal Plane yet, but I agree that the Abashai is to be taken VERY seriously. I know grizzled veterans who eat the Guardians for breakfast that avoid the Abashai. If Narmul is anything like the Abashai then it is to be feared and respected.

Thanks for the replies~ I find the phoenix and the various dragons to be the hardest bosses, with their high damage Area of Effect spells. The awkward boss camera in this

game (one of the few complaints I have so far) makes it difficult to move, and it feels like some spells are impossible to dodge.

I didn't find the Abishai or Garganthropod to be very difficult, used entangling vine and just kept shooting at range till they fell. But I imagine they can be

very dangerous for melee characters or casters that need to get up close. Just started leveling up a polearm seraphim shopper, so I'll find out how tough these

two are for melee chars when I get there :P