Deadly Wounds

Hi everyone,

Haven't logged in in a while, I was busy testing a lot of builds on console. I came up with a idea that was mentioned a few times on this forum but nobody seemed to have wrote a guide for it.

I wanna build a character around the attribute "Chance to deadly wounds" since it seem to stack on console still (I could be wrong here).

I think the fastest way to apply that debuff would be by dual wielding daggers/shortswords on any class or by using a blowpipe on a dryad.

I would like to have feedbacks on which class would be best for this. Any strategy from experienced players?

The build should be based on maxing attack speed as soon as possible and stacking Attack Bonus and Chance to Deadly Wound. I could use 2 of my shortsword with the chance to double hit attribute on them.

Is this doable? I tried a SW with this build in mind. Was really fun to see him do FR with 2 daggers, however boss killing without high deadly wound was a pain so I have stopped...

Let me know what you guys think

I don't know exactly about Deadly wounds. In fact, I believe that Deadly doesn't stack (but I;m not totally sure on that). It's

Chance to inflict Deep Wounds

that stacks on the consoles, for certian. Also, because Serious Open Wounds is exactly "Open Wound+Deep Wound" in one mod, that one works too... but it's very hard to get any real good % chance to proc it... so stick with the Deep Wounds, it is possible to get 50 or 60% easily.

Although it may seem obvious that the melee character would be best to execute this gameplan with, the Shadow Warrior will never be as good at this as an Inquisitor or a Temple Guardian, for one simple reason: The availability of the mod on Combat Arts. Dedicated Blow (TG) and Callous Execution (Inquisitor) have this modification, with very impressive numbers, too. In reality, on consoles, Dedicated Blow is one of the most OP combat arts... not only does it automatically convert your damage for you but also stacks Deep Wounds on bosses... 'nuff said. Thankfully he can't Dual Wield that combat art ;)

But, you idea is solid. Maxing the # of hits by using daggers or shortswords and maximum attack speed is a good thingtm.

Thanks for the reply,

Deep Wounds seems like the way to go then. Can I see this on rings/amulet? Dedicated blow seems really weak at low level, how would it be for someone starting from scratch to do Silver with a TG using DB as main attack?

I wanted to use the inquisitor and add the pet buff to have even more chance to inflict deep wound, but it seems like his pet doesn't really do anything good... he keeps on using astute spells against boss :(

Great idea, I would love to get more opinion on this

Edited by Mavverik

To add to my previous post, I think Callous Execution hits twice if you are dual wielding right? Is the combat art animation slower than 2 normal hits? I am starting to think a Inquisitor would be the best choice for this build. However, I hate his lack of defense without the Soul Reaver buff...

I saw on the forums that the Doppelganger summoned use your weapon's attribute. So will the Doppelganger helps applying the debuff? I would have to add him to my build early on to help with boss fight. How can I make him use more melee combat art instead of Astute combat art other then the silver mod (which doesnt seem to work on console).

I don't think the TG can apply the debuff fast enough with Dedicated blow even with a dagger equipped but I could be wrong.

I will be around all day, I am trying to figure out the best way to go. If I don't answer back today, I will return tomorrow with an update on this :)

Edited by Mavverik

Heh... Yeah I suppose the Inquisitor would be the better choice because of the dual-wielding. AFAIK, you don't want daggers or shortswords because the CE animation time is the same if you have a dagger, shortsword or longsword. Shop out swords with the deep wounds modifier that is scaleable with the Sword Weapons skill (obv, you have to choose Swords if you are going to be a 'wounder').

Soul Reaver is not a good buff, IMO. Go with the reflect buff in Astute instead. Forget about the doppelganger as a 'tactical' weapon. The AI is horrible and he's got some issues on the consoles (buff-casting loops, etc) so I'd steer clear of that one unless you are trying to make a dedicated Doppel guide... which I tried and went bald pulling my hair out testing it.

This is not a modifier that you will be able to get 100% for. Actually, not even close, if memory serves correctly. MAYBE if you take it to very high levels, say > 160... then with enough allskills and high enough Sword Weapons, and some lucky gear... maybe. So, having a toon that survives just fine on its own (without leaning on the mod) is the way to go to start your toon, and get into Platinum or Niob with. At the same time, running 30-50% is pretty darn good, and makes a fun mini-game out of watching the bosses hitpoint meter jump up and down while you are wailing on them!

Thank for the reply essjayehm,

After further testing last night, it seems like the Inquisitor's animation while dual wielding daggers is quite a lot slower than the Dryad. His Attack Speed CA barely make it faster than the normal attack speed of the dryad.

I'd like to know if anybody else noticed this before?

Also, I tried getting "inflict deep wounds" rings and amulet to make a proper starting suit but couldn't find a single one on my level 2 bargainer. What's the minimum level required to see this on items?

So right now, I think my build is going to be a Dryad with Animus as back up dps. I will use the Nature Weaver CAs for defense.

Maybe something like this:

2. Tactic Lore

3. Nature Weaver Lore

5. Dual Wield

8. Nature Weaver Focus

12. Concentration

18. Cabalistic Voodoo Focus

25. Combat Reflex

35. Hunter Focus

50. Armor Lore

65. Combat Discipline "I don't think I would need Constitution"

I can dual wield daggers with only 1 buff easily up to level 18 by farming kobolds. Afterward, I will probably have to boost Voodoo Focus and boost the level of the Animus to help me down Mini Bosses.

Dryad can be quite a tank so even if I kill slower at early lvls, I should make it without dying.

On a side note, can a blowpipe debuff faster than 2 daggers? It seems to shoot really fast and I might be able to make a proper suit without 2 daggers.

Any Suggestion on this?

Edited by Mavverik

Thank for the reply essjayehm,

After further testing last night, it seems like the Inquisitor's animation while dual wielding daggers is quite a lot slower than the Dryad. His Attack Speed CA barely make it faster than the normal attack speed of the dryad.

Each CA has its own animation, based on the weapontype you are using. CE has a slower attack speed than RI or DA, and they are typically slower than a normal weapon attack. All Combat Arts will fire with a 1H weapon at the same speed. Knives, shortswords, longswords, axes, 1H staffs, all the same "speed". I didn't get into looking at the differences between 2H weaponry, but I assume the same... poles, 2H swords/axes/staffs all fire off at the same speed for the same combat art.

I'd like to know if anybody else noticed this before?

Yup :)

Also, I tried getting "inflict deep wounds" rings and amulet to make a proper starting suit but couldn't find a single one on my level 2 bargainer. What's the minimum level required to see this on items?

You will never will see that mod on jewellery, AFAIK.

So right now, I think my build is going to be a Dryad with Animus as back up dps. I will use the Nature Weaver CAs for defense.

Maybe something like this:

2. Tactic Lore

3. Nature Weaver Lore

5. Dual Wield

8. Nature Weaver Focus

12. Concentration

18. Cabalistic Voodoo Focus

25. Combat Reflex

35. Hunter Focus

50. Armor Lore

65. Combat Discipline "I don't think I would need Constitution"

I can dual wield daggers with only 1 buff easily up to level 18 by farming kobolds. Afterward, I will probably have to boost Voodoo Focus and boost the level of the Animus to help me down Mini Bosses.

Dryad can be quite a tank so even if I kill slower at early lvls, I should make it without dying.

On a side note, can a blowpipe debuff faster than 2 daggers? It seems to shoot really fast and I might be able to make a proper suit without 2 daggers.

The blowpipe has the fastest animation time of any weapon, and the absence of a projectile flight time makes it the uber-weapon for inflicting effects/debuffs ;)

Any Suggestion on this?

Well, since you don't get deep wounds on any of your combat arts, and considering how hard it is to find this mod on... anything I don't suggest you make the "ultimate deep wounder" from a Dryad. Yes, a Deep wounding dryad is totally feasable, but it's like making a caster Shadow Warrior... feasable but never will be the "ultimate" in that it takes advantage of one mod and abuses it.

Since I can't get this mod on jewellery, I will stay away from the dryad like you suggested. I guess I will have to plan a dual wielding Inquisitor.

Let see what I can come up with...

Something like this:

2. Dual Wield

3. Tactic Lore

5. Gruesome Inquisition Focus

8. Armor Lore

12. Astute Supremacy Focus (for modding my main buff)

18. Constitution

25. Combat Reflex

35. Sword Lore (to unlock mods on sword maybe?)

50-65. 2 other defenses skill maybe? (I hate Inquisitor spells so I wanna be all melee, don't feel like I need 2 buffs and I heard Combat discipline is not good for non-ca builds)

Should I go for more defense earlier since Inquisitor seems to be very weak in that department early on.

Note: I don't take bargaining because it kills the game for me... I prefer having to kill the same boss 100 times for a drop rather than resetting a shop 100 times.

Edited by Mavverik

The build looks good. Get Toughness, for sure. Combat Reflexes can go in the garbage, but you will probably end up taking it anyway as you still have leftover skill choices. Concentration should be added, and have a Purifying Chasitment buff as well as Reverse Polarity. PC has a modification that adds Damage Mitigation, so it is not a totally offensive buff, and I recommend it since you have skill choices open, and lots of GI modifications with both Tactics and GI Focus giving mod points.

Skill choice order: Split up Tactics and GI Focus. Take one early, and pump points to get GI modifications. Leave the other until level 25 or 35, so that leaves you with options to add defence earlier if you find that you want it (don't forget AS Focus will essentially be a defenseive skill).

Typically with new toons, I skip out on trying to farm kobolds for levels, and just beeline for Atamark. Humans and wolves give a lot more XP, and are not that much tougher than "Santa's ugly litle elves" IMO. If you can get past the harpies, that is ;)

wow thanks for the reply.

I will try this tonight and let you know how it went.

I know I won't see deep wound in action for a while but if I can manage to survive with the inquisitor without having to run away (like I usually have to) I think I will bring this build to high level :)

thanks again.

wow thanks for the reply.

I will try this tonight and let you know how it went.

I know I won't see deep wound in action for a while but if I can manage to survive with the inquisitor without having to run away (like I usually have to) I think I will bring this build to high level :)

thanks again.

Yeah... one of the best things about the Inquisitor is that he is so squishy at the start you have to use some tactics other than "gather mob, slay".

The best advice I have for the early going, is to get some gear with evasion, and blocking close combat. Legs (skirts, lol) can have evasion, even on junk, and bracers can spawn the block chance: cc modifier on junk equipment as well. After that, concentrate on armour values, especially the helm and shoulders as the torso armour is all pretty flimsy. Obviously, I just advocated getting Armour Lore at level 3 or 5... and 5 quick hard points can give you the protection you need to survive to get your Reverse Polarity up and running (ie the second modification added to refelct close combat damage)... which should come online at about level 12 or 18. Before Nor-Plat, at any rate ;)

Also, don't forget about the defensive ramifications of Clustering Maelstrom. If you have a pack of baddies following you, even tho CM may not kill any of them, it will damage them some, but most importantly it will distract a few of them from attacking you right away, while you concentrate on the ones that did not get discombobulated by the CM.

Yeah. One thing I hate about CM is targeting on PS3. Even if I try to target a group far from me, it will usually hit the closest monster...

My build will change as per your advices, I will try something like this

2. Dual Wield

3. Armor Lore

5. Gruesome Inquisition Focus

8. Constitution

12. Toughness

18. Astute Supremacy Focus

25. Tactic Lore

35. Concentration

50. Sword Lore (Maybe)

65. Combat Reflexes

I need GI focus to unlock AS focus and since you told me to separate them, I will grab tactic lore later on.

I am taking concentration at level 35 since I think I can manage to level up to 35 with only 1 buff. Might need the second one to finish silver.

Anything you would change on that build? Would tactic lore be better at early level (like I usually do).

re: Clustering... Just suggesting it as a "defensive" manouver. Not too may people consider that when they are CM-ing willy nilly all over the place, killing everything with one cast. If it distracts 2 or 3 skellies that were hot on your tail, that's what you need in the early going. CM, as a rule, doesn't kill much without the lore (and pumped with hard points!) but it does a good job defensively as well in the early going.

Yeah... the Lore vs Focus debate. In the immediate sense, Tactics (ie Lore skills) are better earlier, as they add %dmg to both Combat Arts and regular attacks... whereas Focus just reduces regens (on Combat Arts), which are still way too high to spam in the first 25 levels. However, the beauty comes when you master your Focus first, as the decreased regen means you have higher CA levels, which gives a better overall damage because of the increased levels.

Needless to say, in the short term (immediate sense) then tactics lore should be first chosen, but longer-term, and the secondary reasoning that you need to unlock AS Focus, lead me to believe that you have you skill order correct. Your kill speed will be noticibly slower than when you take Tactics first (as Tactics boost regular weapon attacks as well as GI Combat Arts) but as you get CE into spam range you will have a smile on your face as each strike of CE will be one-shotting everything except champs or elites or bosses.

Exactly what I thought :D

One thing I was wondering (I think a lot since I am at work and can't test anything out)...

When CE is executed, can the mods activate twice? (can deep wounds activate twice?)

So many questions lol. Thanks for your help on this, love to discuss build :)

One thing I was wondering (I think a lot since I am at work and can't test anything out)...

When CE is executed, can the mods activate twice? (can deep wounds activate twice?)

please post your build, I made some TG's before but I got bored of them because they seem to be the slowest levelers and the lowest damages

The build will be the last build posted. I couldn't play much yesterday (only level 8) so I can't tell how good it will be, but it will be different for sure.

I will keep you guys updated when I reach a higher level.

I might have to put this build on hold for a little bit. I need to bring a character to higher level to get some good rings/amulet for this build to be enjoyable. Right now, it feels like a dual wield SW without FR.

I really like the idea of playing around deep wounds tho and will most likely return to that soon.

I will keep you guys informed everytime I play with this toon :)

Yes, I am quite sure that each strike from a DW CE can proc any mod you have active. :)

please post your build, I made some TG's before but I got bored of them because they seem to be the slowest levelers and the lowest damages

Actually, he's playing with the Inquisitor, SHINJI. But I believe that the TG is 'naturally' the slowest class out of the gate. But they become absolute monsters in the mid-game and can hold their own in the end game... so it just takes some time levelling in Silver and usually a lot of potion-drinking until your E-Shields get to the point where only the Guardians have a chance at dropping them.

There are lots of good builds in the PC section that apply just fine for console play. My favourite build uses really only 4 skills - and no combat arts :D

Can you explain your build Essjayehm? Like I mentioned, I want to have a toon higher level to provide my Inquisitor with some starting rings/amulets. I always wanted to play a TG but so far I feel like they are very squishy..

I find it funny that I am Highjacking my own thread :P

Note: I am not sure if you are referring to the build you posted in the TG section... What would you suggest in term of beginning tactics? BE passive attack to level up? How fast did you get your DS up to get multiples waves? How long should I wait before starting mini bosses runs?

Should I start a new topic to discuss this?

Edited by Mavverik

Can you explain your build Essjayehm? Like I mentioned, I want to have a toon higher level to provide my Inquisitor with some starting rings/amulets. I always wanted to play a TG but so far I feel like they are very squishy..

They are to start. After you get a good buffsuit rocking and some +shieldstrength and your absorbtion up to 90%, they're nearly bulletproof.

I find it funny that I am Highjacking my own thread :P

Note: I am not sure if you are referring to the build you posted in the TG section... What would you suggest in term of beginning tactics? BE passive attack to level up? How fast did you get your DS up to get multiples waves? How long should I wait before starting mini bosses runs?

I didn't actually mean the spears build... that was a pure experiment by taking a bunch of defense and learning how to shop and equip/socket for offence. The 4-skill build I alluded to was in the TG discussion section.. Bot in a Bubble on a Bike. Actually a 3-skill build but I maxxed EP because there was a lot of leftover skill points only keeping 3 skills at character level.

Should I start a new topic to discuss this?

Probably a good idea. Keep this one for updates on your Inquisitor if you get him rockin'!

I'd steer clear of the build I posted in the builds section (forget the name of that one) unless you want to experiment with the TG.. its a good defensive setup but its a very slow leveller, and offers plenty of time to try different setups and getting your killspeed up. Bubblebot rocks, esp. if you can get a wheel to start, and a Battle Extension rune. For a laugh, unequip your weapon and kick your way thru all the kobolds :rofl: mechanical Bruce Lee FTW :ninja:

I did something very similar last night. I wanted to try a "no combat arts" TG with 2 buffs. I made it to level 17 without any issues. Combat Alert (as a buff) and T shroud are at penalty level. I will take Warding Energy Lore at level 18, my first few skill were

2. Tactic Lore (keeping at level)

3. Sword Lore

5. Devout Guardian Focus (keeping at level for buff level)

8. Concentration

12. Armor Lore

Works really well and can tank a good beating.

I use passive battle extension, I added a magic pearl to my sword and a ice thing to my battery so now I hit with 3 elements. I modded Combat Alert first and T shroud after that (followed your advice and stayed away from the mod that add power to the shield).

My shield currently hit Anybody in melee range for 75-80, I reflect melee and magic damage and I hit for 250-300 per hit.

I was wondering if battle extension mods affect the passive hits? will I double hit more if I mod it next? if not, I will mod deathly spears next for boss fight in late gold.

Keep it up Essjayehm, I love discussing builds with you :)

Note: I went for armor and weapon with sockets in them, added the +% dmg/+% Attack Blacksmith in them. my rings are +attack and 1 -monster evade. my Attack Value is about 300 right now, I have a 93% chance to hit normal monsters. I didn't use my chest at all.

Note 2: I don't plan on using the mount exploit. I will probably use no mount at all. My TG will have to evolve on his own :)

Edited by Mavverik

I did something very similar last night. I wanted to try a "no combat arts" TG with 2 buffs. I made it to level 17 without any issues. Combat Alert (as a buff) and T shroud are at penalty level. I will take Warding Energy Lore at level 18, my first few skill were

2. Tactic Lore (keeping at level)

3. Sword Lore

5. Devout Guardian Focus (keeping at level for buff level)

8. Concentration

12. Armor Lore

Works really well and can tank a good beating.

Solid start for a Melee TG. But I hate the Battle Aura buff... once you have seen the power of 3x stacked Combat Alerts... can you say knife to a gunfight?

I was wondering if battle extension mods affect the passive hits? will I double hit more if I mod it next? if not, I will mod deathly spears next for boss fight in late gold.

I don't think so and don't really remember any discussion about that... but I played with the mounted bug so 100% double-hits anyway, can't notice any increase when I added the mods. Ohwait, I seem to remember there's a flat 15% chance for doubles with the passive BE unmounted.;)

Keep it up Essjayehm, I love discussing builds with you :)

Note: I went for armor and weapon with sockets in them, added the +% dmg/+% Attack Blacksmith in them. my rings are +attack and 1 -monster evade. my Attack Value is about 300 right now, I have a 93% chance to hit normal monsters. I didn't use my chest at all.

Note 2: I don't plan on using the mount exploit. I will probably use no mount at all. My TG will have to evolve on his own :)

And you can still jump on it whenever you want, if you need to increase your killspeed for any of 100 different reasons ;)

Little update on my TG build. I played a little over the week-end, made it to level 28. This build gets boring quite fast since it relies on the double hit chance of the Passive BE. I made it to Orc region without losing my shield once. Boss and mini-boss aren't a issue either.

I might rush him to gold since I am not having fun with him. I guess I will have to figure out a new project to work on... I need a first character in niob, never got to platinum with a character so far...

Any suggestion of a fun and powerful build to try?

Found this build and was wondering how fun it would be? I really love the dryad and I am looking for a powerful build to keep me entertained. Always with the idea to get rings/amulet for my Inquisitor :)

Edited by Mavverik

Little update on my TG build. I played a little over the week-end, made it to level 28. This build gets boring quite fast since it relies on the double hit chance of the Passive BE. I made it to Orc region without losing my shield once. Boss and mini-boss aren't a issue either.

I might rush him to gold since I am not having fun with him. I guess I will have to figure out a new project to work on... I need a first character in niob, never got to platinum with a character so far...

Any suggestion of a fun and powerful build to try?

Found this build and was wondering how fun it would be? I really love the dryad and I am looking for a powerful build to keep me entertained. Always with the idea to get rings/amulet for my Inquisitor :)

yeah, pretty much the dryad got every class beat in terms of leveling speed using the disease exploit.

so it's perfect for a shopper build. I got mine to level 100 in three days.

someone said they did it in 9 hours, but that's crazy fast though.

basically you find a wide open area like the desert or orc plains, equip appropriate head to quick start the infection.

once the glicth is going you will see every mob are infected even before you see them.

when that happens, stop casting and run as fast as possible making a giant "Z" on the area, this usually give you at least 2 levels.(from level 50 to 100)

it's probably faster if you use mentor potions.

you can get them usually in orc cave runs in gold level. about 1 potion per 2 runs.

just a warning though, save before you do one of these speed leveling runs.

my xbox never froze but it got down to something like 3 frames per second so I'm cutting it pretty close.

I did that last night, got to level 50 in less than 4 hours. Was pretty fun to watch, but I hated the fact that you don't get any loot. It got to a point where I couldn't kill a single boss.

My dryad got deleted for that reason. I will most likely build another dryad the same way. However, I will go heavy on melee skills earlier on and concentrate on those skills after I get about 25 hard point in Voodoo focus and Nature focus.

I want to level with viperish disease, but I want to be able to melee boss and mini-boss. I hate casting on the dryad.