Deadly Wounds

I was thinking about using the folowing build : A Guide To The Little Melee Bosskilling Dryad - Duel Wield Dryad In Action.

However, it seems like Life Leech % doesn't work on console? is that true? Without that, I don't think making a melee dryad is possible without going for a dual staff build (which I don't wanna do).

Kinda sad as I don't like the SW defense compared to the dryad... and I already have a dual wield seraphim that I hate (Warding Energy without the energy bar on screen is no fun at all).

I am running out of build option...

However, it seems like Life Leech % doesn't work on console? is that true? Without that, I don't think making a melee dryad is possible without going for a dual staff build (which I don't wanna do).

Correct, Leech Life % does not work properly on the console versions.

Thanks for the reply. I saw a few post yesterday mentioning that life leech heal portion works corectly but the damage is /1000. I have decided to make a dual wield SW for now and just enjoy the game for a while. I have restarted so many times that it was starting to get boring...

Now, everything I get with the "deep wound" attribute get stored in the chest for my Inquisitor. Hopefully, by the end of Gold I should have enough stuff to properly gear a starting Inquisitor :)

I was thinking about using the folowing build : A Guide To The Little Melee Bosskilling Dryad - Duel Wield Dryad In Action.

Kinda sad as I don't like the SW defense compared to the dryad... and I already have a dual wield seraphim that I hate (Warding Energy without the energy bar on screen is no fun at all).

I am running out of build option...

Dual staff (with Acute Mind) isn't nearly as good as just DW 2 great swords. The Trystesta build I wrote here tried the AM/staff thing and the sword damage just plain outdid them. Using the "disregard armour" mod, you can bypass the monsters huge armours and still 1-shot most mobs and champions go down in 2. Dual lightsabers (or other heavy-elemental weapons) and elemental damage increasers can do more damage (as monsters gain damage mitigation in Niob) but disregard armour is pretty darn good when you get it to 100%. Since Ravaged Impact has that choice for mods... and the explosion gold mod, too made a DW dryad one of my favourite builds to play. Just like your previous post said, levelling with VD, definitely don't worry about loosing drops because you cannot collect them all... and shopping can pretty much equal any sets/uniques bonuses anyway. When I had gotten to level X (say, 35 in Silver, 70 Gold, 100+ Plat) then I ran the campaign (pretty much ignoring everything but bosses, which should be no problem :( ) to open up the next difficulty.. and then fight my way to the desert just to make sure she's got the power to hang in the new difficulty.

There is a small trick to 'knowing' where your shield strength is on consoles... but you have to do some math. I threw mine out long ago, so I cannot just give you the formlae right now... but if you calculate your shields (tooltip X multipliers) and you compare that number to your health bar. Then factor in your absorbtion amount, and you can calculate exactly when your shields fail. Early on, its pretty weak, so when your health bar hits 50%, and your shields go down, you really see a huge jump in the damage you receive... and better start spamming that health potions! As you develop your shields, the ratio gets higher (over 1000% in high-levels) so eventually you have to start keeping track of how many pots you have taken since you last let your shields fully charge up. Knowing this really helped me keep my TG's alive a lot better, especially when I had absorbtion high. Seras are very hardy even without the shields, but adding them makes them redonkolus.

I never liked the SW much as I was a huge shopper... but 2H hammers have cool fx like screen shake on a critical so that was fun for a while.. ideal class for stockpiling gold and excahnging runes for other toons. Not too sure about endgame defence for the SW outside godmode (ie Shadow Veil) but early on, the dryad is a little better.

Build options: there really are too many to mention by name... but when I was feeling like "it's all been done" then I spy a little modifier/skill/combat art that hasn't been abused in a build and that's what I ended up playing. Most aren't viable but that was my fun... or folly sometimes :). Almost all the 'easy' builds are published/written about, and some of the tougher ones... Weaponless, no CA-skills, no Defense skills, no buff/minibuff, horse-builds are all good tough challenges... typically I got to near end-gold before accepting the truth that they weren't getting to Plat without a ton of levels.

Happy hunting!

It's funny how we think the same way.

Just before reading your post, I made a dryad over the week-end, leveled her to 35 and started the silver campaign up to the Orc region. I went and killed the dragon a few times and got her a 2 star dragon head.

The kill speed of the dragon is great right now, even if I walk through mobs I get xp. Her dual wield capability is quite low right now since I don't have much gear to support her. I am relying on my level 70 faithful companion. I don't wanna have EP or bargaining on this toon, so I am hoping for plain luck.

I will keep you updated as she progresses in the game.

Build Option: I think this Dryad will keep me entertained until I have the requirements to make a good "Deep Wound" inquisitor. She might even become my main project by reading your suggestion of using "ignore armor". Could be a fun build later on.

Does the animus get any bonus from our own stats? Even if he is 2x my level, he seems to miss quite a lot on boss fights. Also, are you sure that Voodoo Lore increase Animus level? it doesn't say it on wiki and right now I am only using all 3 focus skill. I would add that to my build if it does.

Edited by Mavverik
Does the animus get any bonus from our own stats? Even if he is 2x my level, he seems to miss quite a lot on boss fights.

There's a couple of things that you can do/try.

Black Curse is your main debuff... but won't help your pets' CtH... so another way other than pumping the buff higher for more levels on it is needed...

Opponent's Defence Value -X to the rescue. Huh, never thought I'd say that :D

I don't know a lot about this modifier, to be honest. IIRC it procs a debuff on any enemy within X meters... or is it upon hit... I don't remember.

The other thing about it, is if it is a flat, or % reduction. The mod is rare enough that you won't be able to get it stacked too high, but if the value is a flat reduction in the bosses' DV, then it isn't going to help you too much. If it's %-based, then it should work prety good for your little ghost dragon!

So I guess Voodoo Lore doesn't affect the pet?

You idea on Opponent's defense value -X looks solid. I noticed only a few items with that stat so far, mainly 2 handed weapons or hafted weapons. I will keep a eye out for that...

if ODV -x is considered a debuff, will "enemy cannot evade attacks +%" considered also a debuff? That could also help my pet hit his target.

Also, does all 2 star pets have life leech? my minotaur and dragon have it so far.

So I guess Voodoo Lore doesn't affect the pet?

Yes, but not sure exaclty how... I think that it boosts the level of the pet (esp. if you have the elevation mod) but otherwise I am not sure.

You idea on Opponent's defense value -X looks solid. I noticed only a few items with that stat so far, mainly 2 handed weapons or hafted weapons. I will keep a eye out for that...

if ODV -x is considered a debuff, will "enemy cannot evade attacks +%" considered also a debuff? That could also help my pet hit his target.

A while back, someone noticed and posted screenies of using the ODV (and OAV) mods... there was an fx onthe monster when it was "in effect"... so it actually effects the monsters' stats (ie lowering OV or DV). The 2 anti-evasion (opponents cannot evade and Chance that opponents cannot evade) only effect your own CtH (effectively raising it), not lowering any enemy statistics.

Also, does all 2 star pets have life leech? my minotaur and dragon have it so far.

Not sure about all... the scorpion (generally regarded as "the best" pet) has it too, so maybe.

I notice in your signature that you are working on a Dust Devil dryad? whats the plan behind that? How hard can DD hits?

I could maybe add Dust Devil as a source of damage in my build since I have all 3 focus right now.

I notice in your signature that you are working on a Dust Devil dryad? whats the plan behind that? How hard can DD hits?

I could maybe add Dust Devil as a source of damage in my build since I have all 3 focus right now.

Actually, that was a Divine Devotion build ;) I blah-ed about it in the Hardcore for consoles thread (the guessing game thingy).

Dust Devil... Chattius loves that combat art. From what he has written, it does decent damage for the early levels, as you can eat a few runes without totally desroying the regeneration (because of the cooldown). Maybe he can shed more light on it for you... IIRC it's pretty easy to use (just CA levels + Tactics lore to get decent damage). But, it's physical damage, which is mitigated and resisted to hell and back in Niob, so maybe not a great end-game CA.

is it affected by the "chance to ignore armor"

I played a few level last night (I am sick so I didnt feel like playing much). I killed the dragon boss for the campaign withuot too much of a problem. Only thing I noticed, when the dragon start flying around, I need a lucky streak to bring him down or else I run after him for minutes...

my animus hit for 1k per hit right now so any stationary fight doesn't last very long.

I love the build so far :)

Chance to ignore armour will only work for weapon-based attacks (regular weapon strikes, and "weapon-based combat arts". Heh... click the link for the 'list' of them. (Thanks, whomever did that!)

Oh... yeah I forgot to specifically say that mods that you have on you/your equipment/Combat Arts etc are not utilized by your companions, unless directly specified in the description ie GGT has a gold-mod for area of effect but without it, your animus doesn't get healed by GGT.

The only exception is when you proc a debuff on the enemy... thus Black Curse will give your ghostie some extra damages (IIRC all animus' dmg is physical, but not sure) and because of the way ODV and OAV work, they will help companions as well.

I hate it when that guy starts flying around, too. I mean, we're in a stinking CAVE, where exactly does he think he's going?

Juuuuuust giving the ol wings a stretch, y'see? This 'hero' is boring me to tears so I thought I'd just fly around before I unleash the burning halitosis combat art and nuke this newbie :D

Ranged Combat Arts (say, Twisted Torment) can hit him, which brings him down. AFAIK that was what always helped me avoid playing pin the tail on the flying dragon.

Little update on my build.

I am currently at the end of gold with my dryad, she is level 58 and doing great. My companion is now level 111 and hit like a truck. He destroyed the demon boss in 15 sec by himself, I only used black curse once.

At first I thought I would make this character my main but after noticing how great he is, I decided to add EP and bargaining to make him my first Niob shopper.

Next, I will probably work on my dual wielding SW. He currently use 2 daggers and will stay that way. He killed the Kobold Chieftain in 12 sec with no combat arts at all. I have socketed 4 6-6 damage ring in his gears and 1 0.5 sec regen.

Really fun to see all those numbers appearing in a few seconds.

The "deep wound" build is still on the table, I just didnt found the gear to make it work yet. Still under construction :)

Note: Sorry for late response, I was sick and didnt play much last week. Also, I noticed that the insect head works well against that boss since he keep on attacking the dragon even when the dragon fly in circle.

Edited by Mavverik

I think it is time! After reading tons of post over the last week, I think I will start the Inquisitor - Deep Wound oriented build tomorrow night. I will read the whole post since we have some good information going and will start from there.

If you have any tips around this build Ess, let me know. I will be back everyday to update on the whole process.

Here's the build I have in mind now after reading the whole topic.

2. Gruesome Inquisition Focus

3. Dual Wield (just 1 point)

5. Armor Lore (Just 5 points for a while, done by level 8)

8. Astute Supremacy Focus

12. Constitution

18. Tactic Lore

25. Concentration (just 1 point since I won't be using SR)

35. Toughness

50. Sword Lore (will take it and level it to unlock the modifiers I want on sword)

65. Combat Reflexes

- I am splitting up tactics and GI focus as you suggested

- I am getting both Focus early on so I can mod GI Combat Arts and Reverse Polarity fast

- I pushed down Toughness since I don't feel like I will really need it before level 35

- I brought Tactic Lore back up to level 18 to add some damage

- I won't be taking Combat Discipline since it doesn't give a huge boost to Weapon Based CA

- I don't feel like I need more damage as I will base my kill around "Deep Wound"

I will concentrate on adding points in focuses until I can spam CE and bring RP to a good level. Then, I will level up constitution until I am confident I won't die easily. After that (and before I get to the Guardians), I will boost Tactic Lore to character level to improve kill speed. Even if Deep Wound will be the main damage, I feel like I will need a backup from tactic lore before platinum.

I could use some suggestion regarding the modding of the CAs. Especially, the AS combat arts

When I get to level 25 - 30, I will comment on the build so far

Edited by Mavverik

12. Constitution

18. Tactic Lore

35. Toughness

50. Sword Lore (will take it and level it to unlock the modifiers I want on sword)

65. Combat Reflexes

- I am getting both Focus early on so I can mod GI Combat Arts and Reverse Polarity fast Always the best plan, in the long-term.

- I pushed down Toughness since I don't feel like I will really need it before level 35 Actually, it's a 50 or 65 skill (when you have the +allskills to give it a decent nudge) but that's fine.

- I brought Tactic Lore back up to level 18 to add some damage (+faster finishing modding your GI arts)

- I won't be taking Combat Discipline since it doesn't give a huge boost to Weapon Based CA agreed, NFG for melee arts, IMO

- I don't feel like I need more damage as I will base my kill around "Deep Wound" (with 170 attack speed!)

I will concentrate on adding points in focuses until I can spam CE and bring RP to a good level. Then, I will level up constitution until I am confident I won't die easily. After that (and before I get to the Guardians), I will boost Tactic Lore to character level to improve kill speed. Even if Deep Wound will be the main damage, I feel like I will need a backup from tactic lore before platinum.

Yeah... I guess you need to identify your skills that need the mastery ASAP. GIF and Constitution would be the ones I would get to 75 first and foremost. Afterwards, you will have to play it by ear as you will be lacking in one area or another... typically defence.

I could use some suggestion regarding the modding of the CAs. Especially, the AS combat arts

Well, in exact order of importance:

Gruesome Inquisiton:

CE - Tenacity, Lacerate, ? (either)

FF - Bronze mod Faith.. and for a melee guy, maybe this needs some explaination? You will have attack speed from DW (+skills) AND FF. Taking Fanaticism gets you to the 170% cap quite fast (before level 50), then is totally useless after that. The silver mod is ? (either) and Relentless gold mod on FF.

PC - Mystic is my typical choice, but either, really. Now, you choose glass cannon route (Eradicate/Hallow) or a more balanced approach with the silver/gold mod (Merciless/Inure) I always went M/I.

Astute Supremacy:

RP - Rebound, Counterblow then either evade for 'standard' play, or you can exploit the Exploit mod. Don't know if you read this, but it explains most of my reasoning for loving that mod.

CM - Chaos, Vortex, Vortex (backup defensive emergency manouver if you get overwhelmed)

LA - Disperse, Hesitation (backup backup manouver)

Sorry for the hideous colour... lol too lazy to change it all now.

12. Constitution

18. Tactic Lore

35. Toughness

65. Combat Reflexes

- I am getting both Focus early on so I can mod GI Combat Arts and Reverse Polarity fast Always the best plan, in the long-term.

- I pushed down Toughness since I don't feel like I will really need it before level 35 Actually, it's a 50 or 65 skill (when you have the +allskills to give it a decent nudge) but that's fine.

- I brought Tactic Lore back up to level 18 to add some damage (+faster finishing modding your GI arts)

- I won't be taking Combat Discipline since it doesn't give a huge boost to Weapon Based CA agreed, NFG for melee arts, IMO

- I don't feel like I need more damage as I will base my kill around "Deep Wound" (with 170 attack speed!)

Yeah... I guess you need to identify your skills that need the mastery ASAP. GIF and Constitution would be the ones I would get to 75 first and foremost. Afterwards, you will have to play it by ear as you will be lacking in one area or another... typically defence.

Well, in exact order of importance:

Gruesome Inquisiton:

CE - Tenacity, Lacerate, ? (either)

FF - Bronze mod Faith.. and for a melee guy, maybe this needs some explaination? You will have attack speed from DW (+skills) AND FF. Taking Fanaticism gets you to the 170% cap quite fast (before level 50), then is totally useless after that. The silver mod is ? (either) and Relentless gold mod on FF.

PC - Mystic is my typical choice, but either, really. Now, you choose glass cannon route (Eradicate/Hallow) or a more balanced approach with the silver/gold mod (Merciless/Inure) I always went M/I.

Astute Supremacy:

RP - Rebound, Counterblow then either evade for 'standard' play, or you can exploit the Exploit mod. Don't know if you read this, but it explains most of my reasoning for loving that mod.

CM - Chaos, Vortex, Vortex (backup defensive emergency manouver if you get overwhelmed)

LA - Disperse, Hesitation (backup backup manouver)

Sorry for the hideous colour... lol too lazy to change it all now.

Following your comments, I will put Sword Lore at level 35 to unlock the mods earlier. Should I mod FF after I get Lacerate since the 3rd mod of CE is not important for this build?

How do you pump attack speed so quickly to 170%? even with FF? So far, all my builds barely made it to 125-130% by level 50 and it required me to level dual wield instead of just relying on +skills.

How hard is it to find +skill gear without a shopper? is it possible by doing boss runs alone?

Also, in term of equipment, I guess I should aim for the Saraki's Path to the Netherworld set? I saw that it give 20% deep wound in niob? Which unique sword have the best deep wound % on console?

BTW, welcome back :) I am glad to see you still reply to my posts. It gives me something to read in the morning when I get to work :)

Edited by Mavverik

I will have to level up dual wield also to mastery, I need the double hit chance to proc Deep Wound even faster. I won't have the double hit chance from sword mastery if I dual wield right? I know they don't add up... but I need sword lore at high level to unlock higher % of deep wound.

If I have a mix of "Chance to Serious Open Wounds" and "Chance to deep wound", can both trigger at the same time?

I noticed this on some 1 handed sword and was thinking that I should stack that too if I see it.

Exemple:

- With 2 swords with a Sword Lore of 250, I could have around 50% Chance to inflict Serious Open Wound (from wiki)

- With the Sakari set, I would add an extra 20% chance to inflict Deep Wound in Niob

- My CE would also add about 25% chance to inflict Deep Wound depending on my CA level

So I would have: 50% Serious Open Wound + 45% Deep Wound + another bleed chance from CE

if both are independant and can both proc on the same hit (like 2 different element), I might be able to remove 16% health on 1 swing. It seems too strong right now so it is probably not possible. However, with the listed gear I have 95% chance, so in reality I would have something like 75% or close to that right?

Edited by Mavverik
Following your comments, I will put Sword Lore at level 35 to unlock the mods earlier. Should I mod FF after I get Lacerate since the 3rd mod of CE is not important for this build?

Exactly, yeah. You can even mod PC before FF but it depends on your comfort level playing with lowered health (and avoiding the potions) and using PC.

How do you pump attack speed so quickly to 170%? even with FF? So far, all my builds barely made it to 125-130% by level 50 and it required me to level dual wield instead of just relying on +skills.

nomonomonom the FF runes. The cooldown is the major part of the equation here, and the RpH from CE pretty much eliminates any regen penalty from munching the FF runes.

How hard is it to find +skill gear without a shopper? is it possible by doing boss runs alone?

Extemely hard. And then, you get sucky second mods that have no synergy with your build. You should have these all set to go before proceding with a non-bargaining build, unless you want to put it down and build up a shopper when you find you want it.

Also, in term of equipment, I guess I should aim for the Saraki's Path to the Netherworld set? I saw that it give 20% deep wound in niob? Which unique sword have the best deep wound % on console?

I'll address this a bit later.

BTW, welcome back :) I am glad to see you still reply to my posts. It gives me something to read in the morning when I get to work :)

I will have to level up dual wield also to mastery, I need the double hit chance to proc Deep Wound even faster. I won't have the double hit chance from sword mastery if I dual wield right? I know they don't add up... but I need sword lore at high level to unlock higher % of deep wound.

I will say DW is not worth one extra point (IMO). Attack speed caps very easily, esp. with FF. Chance for double-hits is low enough that it's not worth the 74 points... especially if you die before you have a chance to proc a double-hit. Get Toughness mastered before you go to DW.

If I have a mix of "Chance to Serious Open Wounds" and "Chance to deep wound", can both trigger at the same time?

It shouldn't but, I think it does. SOW gives an Open Wound and a Deep Wound, and the deep wound mod will stack another -8% max HP atop the SOW.

I noticed this on some 1 handed sword and was thinking that I should stack that too if I see it.

Exemple:

- With 2 swords with a Sword Lore of 250, I could have around 50% Chance to inflict Serious Open Wound (from wiki)

- With the Sakari set, I would add an extra 20% chance to inflict Deep Wound in Niob

- My CE would also add about 25% chance to inflict Deep Wound depending on my CA level

So I would have: 50% Serious Open Wound + 45% Deep Wound + another bleed chance from CE

if both are independant and can both proc on the same hit (like 2 different element), I might be able to remove 16% health on 1 swing. It seems too strong right now so it is probably not possible. However, with the listed gear I have 95% chance, so in reality I would have something like 75% or close to that right?

Hrm... not sure about this. It would be very hard to prove how deep wound chances stack; maybe it's linear, but more than likely there is some diminshing returns (like reflect or deathblow, maybe less severe returns). For that reason, I would concentrate on the 2 main sources of deep wounds: CE and rare swords (with SOW or DW scaleable mods). Tailor your armour for defence, any extra offence is just gravy. I wouldn't use Saraki's for the measly 20%, and Ilgard's is buggy on console... so a mishmash of gear will be your setup. Cowl of Carthisis is huge, and serves as most of your elemental resistance until you start pumping Toughness. Unique swords are pretty sub-optimal for deep wounding, save for the Ice Flash... and then you have to be very lucky to find upgrades as you level up.

A couple of last thoughts

- maybe with a deep wounder... CE animation is the same with knives as with swords, but you may be able to "regular-attack" with enough stacked deep wounds to get a faster kill speed. Just a theory, and it will be hard to get deep or serious open wounds on them. It is worth a try, if you find 2 knives that have the mods.

- just get bargaining unless you're really stocked up on the gear. A level 2 setup isn't necessary, but starting at 20, 35, 50 and every 10 or so levels you will want, or even need to change our your gear, and depending on the randomness of your drops, you may be looking for very specific items/modifiers. Combat Reflexes is easily droppable, and everything above it can be nudged back a spot if you want bargaining early. You can run Bargaining with 1 point, but it takes some amount of time and micromanaging (putting on your shopping suit when at a vendor) but it works fine for finding good rare gear. OFC, keeping bargaining at your character level gives better chances for great stuff, as a 1 point wonder it can be done.

So I guess I will remove combat reflexes and add bargaining like you mentioned

So it will be (im already level 4 so I will take bargaining at level 5)

5. Bargaining

8. Armor Lore (Just 5 points for a while, done by level 8)

12. Astute Supremacy Focus

18. Constitution

25. Tactic Lore

35. Concentration (just 1 point since I won't be using SR)

65. Toughness

I guess my points should be invested in GI Focus, AS Focus, bargaining, Armor Lore (5 points only), Tactic Lore (a good 20-25 points later).

Adding Bargaining to the build changes my perspective... Not too sure how to spend my points with 5 skills that seems like a top priority.

If I don't need focus at mastery early on, I will do

Mastery 1: Bargaining

Mastery 2: Constitution

Mastery 3: Sword Lore maybe?

mmm... so much to think about lol. This is giving me headaches :P

mmm... so much to think about lol. This is giving me headaches :P

And fits trying to optimise ;)

I don't think AS focus needs mastery ASAP (4-6th maybe) but GI you should master first and foremost, and keep your CE one-shotting 2 regular mobs with each hit. If you have Platinum (+4) or Niob (+6) CE runes to socket for keeping it high enough to do that, it will help.

Sword Lore can also fall into the 4-6 category for mastery... only because it's the only way at this point to advace your "main plan"... CE should be "maxed" (but spammable) and now you start stacking the deep wounds from rare swords.

For defence - constitution #1, IMO then Armour then Toughness.

Bargaining - as much as it sucks to pour 74 points into it, it's worth it. When you do it, depends on your experiences with it... like I said it can be a 1-point wonder if you have the patience for re-setting inventories, and the reflexes to skim thru inventories like the wind (literally hold down on the d-pad and skim the inventory). But, that can eat up 10x the "real-world" time as just keeping it a character=level, so the choice I leave to you when to pump up "the B".

So... without considering "the B", I'd suggest the following mastery priorities:

GI Focus

Constitution

Armour Lore

AS Focus

Sword Lore

Toughness

Tactics

And the other 2 don't require any more than 1 (Dual Wield, Concentration)

I am currently pushing "The B" and GI focus so I will follow your mastery order but will push everything down by 1.

I don't have access to a Niob / Platinum character and I prefer to find stuff on my own. I don't like bargaining for hours but it really does give a extra boost.

If I want to level up CE as much as possible, I guess I should start adding RpH to my equipment early? How fast is the execution on CE? around 1 second probably?

I remade my character yesterday after noticing I took bleed over tenacity as 1st mod for CE... huge mistake if I think about my plan...

One thing I noticed, there's quite a few gloves with the open wound mod, is there any with the serious open wound?

Also, there seem to be a delay in CE execution when holding down the button. My character stay there for maybe 0.5 second before executing CE... not sure if it's a bug or if it can be brought down with either casting speed or attack speed...

So much to think about, I love it :)

Edited by Mavverik