I love you little rice cooker

I do!

It's not often I think we get gifts in our lives that can impact them so much with so little..but this one just takes...the rice? :4rofl: I actually got it on Christmas, from my Aunt and Uncle. They're an amazing family, no coupons or gift certificates from them ever. They do their research, talk to people, are frugal, clever, and always come up with wonderful, insightful gifts... in fact they have the gifts I look forward to most every year.

This year had me yelling out with joy under the Christmas tree... it's a small one, from Canadian Tire... you guys have to understand the role of rice in our family. It's the staple, almost water of our lives, and when growing up, there would always be a pot of rice cooking on the stove every day when I came home from school. Fresh, hot, fragrant, the smell is fantastic. My parents were frugal as well, so short grained rice most of the time, basmatti on special occasions.

Course, when I moved out... that's when "the bad rice years" happened.

How the heck to cook rice?

I had tried and tried, but the dang timing kept evading me while friends and family all laughing at me. They make it look so easy, so effortless. But it's not! I kept burning it or, at the far end of the spectrum, create rice soup. After a year or two of trying, one of my friends was saying to me that the absorption method is one of the most trickiest timing tricks in the universe... you either have it or you don't. And if you don't , best thing to do is cook it like Pasta and throw out the water after it's boiled.

*gasp*

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :oooo:

Tasted like pap, sterile with unflavored grains, I gave up.

And so the years went by, until...this Christmas.

It's easy now, and I'm a pro. My little happy rice cooker pot bubbles merrily away (have no idea how it works, but it magically cooks rice every time perfectly) I just toss in three containers of water ,one container of rice (always brown for controlling blood sugar), click turn it on, and presto, thirty minutes later... wonderful,

flavorful rice..food of the gods!

Fabulous little rice cooker

Thank you Aunty and Uncle :hugs:

I was just wondering...is there other things that this rice cooker can cook? Other whole grains perhaps that can help with diet and ease of tastliness?

Onwards little rice bubbler!

:heart:

gogo

The one I tried at university had a magnet switch in it. I was living in a mixed student home with 8 people per floor. The cooker wasn't mine. The girl who owned it tried to do Milchreis with it. Milch is milk so english named would be rice pudding made with milk?

However milk is no water and it burned. Was nearly impossible to clean by the poor girl,so she asked for help. This is actually a nonono if there are students in physics around. Poor cooker was totally dissaembled,the pan part cleaned with ultra sonic resonance at the physical department labor and then a research was done if the cooker could do rice pudding.

Its function was like:

As long there is free water the temperature is around 100C. As soon the water is sucked up the heating element gets higher than 100Celcius. Now there is a magnetic switch which is based on a Curie temperature. If the magnet exceeds a certain temperature it looses its magnetism and the power switch is opened. You can't change the curie temperature so this model was not able to do rice pudding. But Hirse (millet), Grünkern (seeds from spelt harvested when still green and then dried), bulgur,... worked fine once the right mix of water and seeds was found.

Sadly there is no english Grünkern entry in wikipedia, so try out this page if you are interested:

http://www.gruenkern.de/basic.htm

Grünkern

gruenkern_272716_R_K_by_Klaus-Uwe-Gerhardt_pixelio.dekomp.jpg

Salade with Grünkern

CIMG9927.JPG

Timely Topic...

For what it's worth, a rice cooker makes even the WORST possible cooks in the world able to make perfect rice.

They work very simply. Most have a toaster like mechanism. You push a lever down, that locks in the ON position. There's a weight monitor built into the device. As the rice cooks - and water evaporates - the contents of the cooker get lighter and the release is calibrated so when it gets to a certain weight, the spring releases and the rice is done.

I've had similar issues with cooking rice. I always hated making the stuff - mainly because whenever I tried cooking some, my phone would ring and, of course, whatever the caller wanted wasn't someone I could get rid of easily... The result - burnt rice.. YUCK!

Rice cookers are simply genius..

But I've been branching out of the simple rice syndrome. There's one thing you just can't do with them - and that's making Risotto..

Risotto is made by slowly adding a cooking liquid to your rice as opposed to adding it all at once. That requires constant stirring of the pot. By cooking liquid - I mean chicken broth or stock, or any other flavorful liquid. You can also add in other things - chicken, beef, vegetables, mushrooms, fruit... whatever floats your boat... The idea is to get the rice to release it's starch molecules and make a creamy sauce. You can't generally use regular white rice - Arborio rice is generally recommended. You can use white rice, but the result will be disappointing.

The general rule of thumb behind risotto is 1 cup rice to 4 cups liquid. You start by taking a small onion, chopped into small bits and a few tablespoons of olive oil (Extra Virgin, preferred) and tossing it into a pan. Cook the onion until it's just about translucent and then toss in 2 cups of Arborio rice. Toast the rice slightly in the onion/oil mixture for a few minutes. Then ladle in 1 cup of your cooking liquid (broth or stock). Stir well. Keep the temp down so it simmers. You don't want it to be doing a fast boil! It also helps to keep your cooking liquid on a second pot on low temp to keep it warm. You don't want to shock the risotto by adding a cold liquid to your bubbling pot.

When the liquid is just about fully absorbed into the rice, add in another cup's worth. Repeat this until you've used 7 of the 8 cups of liquid. On the last pass, feel free to add some frozen veggies (frozen Peas and Carrots work rather well here), or mushrooms (canned is OK), and any other additions you want to make. The idea is to cook them until they're done without overcooking them.

When you add the final cup of liquid, you can add in some Parmesan cheese, grated or some other cheese - preferably something that melts easily. And above all, KEEP STIRRING!

The final result should be a creamy rice dish with some cheesy overtones. Done right, it can be a lovely side dish or even a main dish if you add the meat into the pot.

And Chattius - yah.. Most rice cookers will not let you do anything other than cooking rice. The instructions for my rice cooker (which I've long since lost) say that you can only use water and rice in the pot with maybe a bit of salt.

Edited by wolfie2kX

The one I tried at university had a magnet switch in it. I was living in a mixed student home with 8 people per floor. The cooker wasn't mine. The girl who owned it tried to do Milchreis with it. Milch is milk so english named would be rice pudding made with milk?

However milk is no water and it burned. Was nearly impossible to clean by the poor girl,so she asked for help. This is actually a nonono if there are students in physics around. Poor cooker was totally dissaembled,the pan part cleaned with ultra sonic resonance at the physical department labor and then a research was done if the cooker could do rice pudding.

Hah. This sounds like a few of my experiments with the rice cooker and different grains. The challenge now is that the rice cooker is taking up a lot of space on the counters, and just having it there to cook rice seems/seemed wasteful. The biggest challenge I'm having right now is that I don't want to use white rice, it just makes my blood sugar shoot right up so quickly, so if I want to have something as convenient as this making food for me, I have to keep up with using whole grains which seems to test the rice cooker's ability to consistently produce perfect rice.

That ultra sonic resonance tool sounds cool! :bounce:

Timely Topic...

For what it's worth, a rice cooker makes even the WORST possible cooks in the world able to make perfect rice.

They work very simply. Most have a toaster like mechanism. You push a lever down, that locks in the ON position. There's a weight monitor built into the device. As the rice cooks - and water evaporates - the contents of the cooker get lighter and the release is calibrated so when it gets to a certain weight, the spring releases and the rice is done.

I've had similar issues with cooking rice. I always hated making the stuff - mainly because whenever I tried cooking some, my phone would ring and, of course, whatever the caller wanted wasn't someone I could get rid of easily... The result - burnt rice.. YUCK!

Rice cookers are simply genius..

But I've been branching out of the simple rice syndrome. There's one thing you just can't do with them - and that's making Risotto..

Risotto is made by slowly adding a cooking liquid to your rice as opposed to adding it all at once. That requires constant stirring of the pot. By cooking liquid - I mean chicken broth or stock, or any other flavorful liquid. You can also add in other things - chicken, beef, vegetables, mushrooms, fruit... whatever floats your boat... The idea is to get the rice to release it's starch molecules and make a creamy sauce. You can't generally use regular white rice - Arborio rice is generally recommended. You can use white rice, but the result will be disappointing.

The general rule of thumb behind risotto is 1 cup rice to 4 cups liquid. You start by taking a small onion, chopped into small bits and a few tablespoons of olive oil (Extra Virgin, preferred) and tossing it into a pan. Cook the onion until it's just about translucent and then toss in 2 cups of Arborio rice. Toast the rice slightly in the onion/oil mixture for a few minutes. Then ladle in 1 cup of your cooking liquid (broth or stock). Stir well. Keep the temp down so it simmers. You don't want it to be doing a fast boil! It also helps to keep your cooking liquid on a second pot on low temp to keep it warm. You don't want to shock the risotto by adding a cold liquid to your bubbling pot.

When the liquid is just about fully absorbed into the rice, add in another cup's worth. Repeat this until you've used 7 of the 8 cups of liquid. On the last pass, feel free to add some frozen veggies (frozen Peas and Carrots work rather well here), or mushrooms (canned is OK), and any other additions you want to make. The idea is to cook them until they're done without overcooking them.

When you add the final cup of liquid, you can add in some Parmesan cheese, grated or some other cheese - preferably something that melts easily. And above all, KEEP STIRRING!

The final result should be a creamy rice dish with some cheesy overtones. Done right, it can be a lovely side dish or even a main dish if you add the meat into the pot.

And Chattius - yah.. Most rice cookers will not let you do anything other than cooking rice. The instructions for my rice cooker (which I've long since lost) say that you can only use water and rice in the pot with maybe a bit of salt.

Btw , I"m a full time addict to top chef. Risotto seems to be mentioned on almost every show... how most peeps mess it up, how the proportions have to be just right. That was a nice explanation about how we have to tease the starch molecules out.. now I can "see" it in my head... rice soup! :P Is Arborio rice good with diabetes? I know, as a rule, rice just shouldn't be a part of my diet...but I get so tired of just eating proteins and plain carbs all the time... this rice cooker is doing a swell job of cooking all the brown rice, and a bit of that in my diet makes me happy and seems to keep me healthy so far.

Schot's actually having a fun time with this machine, and he has figgered out proper proportions for CousCous! That stuff's so white though, I can see it not being too good for me...but maybe if I mix in a can of beans or chickpeas after it's cooked...this will stretch out the proportions of the "good" values while thinning out but maintaining the taste of the cous cous?

Do any other sugar watchers buy this?

;devil:

gogo

Btw , I"m a full time addict to top chef. Risotto seems to be mentioned on almost every show... how most peeps mess it up, how the proportions have to be just right. That was a nice explanation about how we have to tease the starch molecules out.. now I can "see" it in my head... rice soup! :P Is Arborio rice good with diabetes? I know, as a rule, rice just shouldn't be a part of my diet...but I get so tired of just eating proteins and plain carbs all the time... this rice cooker is doing a swell job of cooking all the brown rice, and a bit of that in my diet makes me happy and seems to keep me healthy so far.

Schot's actually having a fun time with this machine, and he has figgered out proper proportions for CousCous! That stuff's so white though, I can see it not being too good for me...but maybe if I mix in a can of beans or chickpeas after it's cooked...this will stretch out the proportions of the "good" values while thinning out but maintaining the taste of the cous cous?

Do any other sugar watchers buy this?

;devil:

gogo

Yah.. Risotto is easy to make a proper mess of.. Btw.. when I said CONSTANT stirring - I mean CONSTANT. You can't just set it and forget it. You can leave it for maybe a minute or so - especially when it gets close to adding the next batch of liquid.

Speaking of adding beans to rice... I'm not so sure it's a good thing to do. Starch + starch is NOT good for diabetics..

That said... Everything can be had - in MODERATION..! That's the key.. You can't just sit down and eat a whole pot of rice or pasta or beans or potatoes. But that's not to say you can NEVER have any..

Anywho, of course you can add other stuff to your rice to make it more of a meal - like the last pic Chattius shared above. One favorite I do every so often is a dish from Louisiana - Red Beans and Rice. GREAT stuff - in moderation.

The basic recipe is simple.. Rice, cooked in a rice cooker, a 15 oz can of red beans, a few good cloves of regular garlic, a small onion, some Andoulle sausage... some thyme (dried/ground is OK), a 4 oz can of tomato sauce, a pinch or two of cayenne pepper, a bay leaf and, of course Tobasco sauce.

Take 1 cup of regular rice and add 2 cups of water and cook per instructions in your rice cooker. Meanwhile - in a big cooking pot, take some olive oil (Extra Virgin, of course) and sauté your onions and sausage. Simply dump in the can of beans and other ingredients and simmer. For an extra kick, you can add a small capful of Liquid Smoke to the pot to give it a smokier flavor. Add cayenne and hot sauce to taste... You may also need to add a bit of extra water to make sure you've got enough moisture to cover all of the rice when you add it.

When your rice is done, you can add it to your beans and meat mixture, stir to combine it well and serve. Be sure to remove the bay leaf from your pot before serving.

rice cooker, never used 1 and kinda cook rice of one specific rule first let the water boil I mean really really boil then throw it in for about 10-12 minutes and u got sexy rice

Here in germany you have to look carefully what type of rice cooker you.buy. Many people from turkey, persia,... like one which burns the rice a bit. Getting this little brown burning needs either permanent looking or a speial cooker.

I think my cooker is from Taiwan. I've had it for like 10 years. Never had any burnt rice... It was dirt cheap - $15.99 if I recall correctly.

You might want to make sure that if you use one of these - you do it exactly as the instructions tell you to do it. Remember, things like salt can change things - like the boiling point of water.

Here in germany you have to look carefully what type of rice cooker you.buy. Many people from turkey, persia,.. who live in germany like one which burns the rice a bit. Getting this little brown burning needs either permanent looking or a special cooker. Last time I looked burning and non-burnung cookers were equally at stores.

Grünkern

Spelt is an old plant close to wheat. It has less seeds per plant. So more minerals are in each seed compared to wheat. In 15th and 16th century wheather in germany was colder than now and spelt had a higher chance to ripe than wheat. However even this was not enough in some years. So half ripe spelt was harvested before it would rot on fields and the grains dried. So Grünkorn, green grain, was harvested green spelt and had most of the minerals allready. Drying keeps the minerals but cracks most of the gluten molecules. So not useful for baking but people found out that you could most rice recipes with Grünkorn. It has a higher degree of fibres and minerals than rice and its usefulness at certain forms of diabetes is discussed.

One of our favourites are Grünkorn risottos. I found this english Grünkern-Risotto recipe. Here Grünkorn is translated as green spelt grain or unripe spelt grain.

http://www.allhealthydeliciousrecipes.com/recipes-for-cancer-patients/green-spelt-grain-risotto-rocket-recipe.php

Something close to an english wiki entry:

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Grunkern

My wife did a Grünkern-Shiitake-Risotto when the twins were small and she has to get baqck minerals lost at feeding them.

It is like wolfie said, you can have any food if you are diabetic, but just limited quantities. and where you have the choice, try to go for high fibre content, low sodium and low GI, brown rice, legumes, plenty of fresh vegetables(most of which are low GI and high fibre). If a certain food type is higher in GI you can cancel it out by adding a low GI food to the plate/dish. The way I get sugars in. I don't eat sugary stuff/candies/candy bar choc, no sugar in my coffee/tea, so when I'm at work and I have to taste one of the components, then I'm allowed to have a spoonful.

Stay Healthy! :thumbsup:

Delta!

Legumes! lol, I guess that's what I meant by beans, Wolfie, +++ I'm trying to add them to every meal in fact :devil: Like...when I use my rice cooker to cook brown rice, I usually always add some cooked or canned legumes to it to really power up the fibre. I wish I could eat more cous cous, but it just loves shooting up my sugar so fast. A small portion is a good enough treat. Chattius, re burnt rice, I get a bit of that on the rice cooker I have, it's a small, inexpensive one that my aunt/uncle bought me, but I'm so taken up by using this remarkable piece of kitchen wizardry, I may opt in myself for a deluxe version.

Thanks Theuns for finding us!

:hugs:

gogo

Legumes! lol, I guess that's what I meant by beans, Wolfie, +++ I'm trying to add them to every meal in fact :devil: Like...when I use my rice cooker to cook brown rice, I usually always add some cooked or canned legumes to it to really power up the fibre. I wish I could eat more cous cous, but it just loves shooting up my sugar so fast. A small portion is a good enough treat. Chattius, re burnt rice, I get a bit of that on the rice cooker I have, it's a small, inexpensive one that my aunt/uncle bought me, but I'm so taken up by using this remarkable piece of kitchen wizardry, I may opt in myself for a deluxe version.

gogo

Gogo -

I think you missed the point.. Starch (Rice) + Starch (Legumes/beans) = bad juju for diabetics...

Starches get converted into sugar - and that means skyrocketing blood sugar levels.

If you want fiber in your diet, you would be better off with stuff like Cruciferous veggies. You might be asking just WTH are those... Those are ANY vegetable that grows leaves that resemble like a cross. Namely things like Celery, Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, the various members of the lettuce family, etc... A full list can be had on the link I provided.

These veggies also have the side effect of making internal gas... But then again, if you're eating lots of beans/legumes, that's likely not too much of a problem... :D

I always knew it, our Sauerkraut saves the world :)

But since the brain can only feed on blood sugar, and you won't die at once if only eating fat....

Your body can transform anything into sugar, just more or less good. So calculate your bread units and inject the insulin to counter it. Eating too much is more evil than eating slightly wrong stuff.

In the last 15 years it turned out that our barbaric hessian cuisine has a lot of stuff proving healthy : sauerkraut, hand cheese, heaven and earth, bear garlic, spelt, mangold,...

In another 15 years lard and bacon will have its healthy sides too, I just ignore everyone who is saying different till then :)

Do you have the chance to try gruenkern at your places?

I always knew it, our Sauerkraut saves the world :)

But since the brain can only feed on blood sugar, and you won't die at once if only eating fat....

Your body can transform anything into sugar, just more or less good. So calculate your bread units and inject the insulin to counter it. Eating too much is more evil than eating slightly wrong stuff.

In the last 15 years it turned out that our barbaric hessian cuisine has a lot of stuff proving healthy : sauerkraut, hand cheese, heaven and earth, bear garlic, spelt, mangold,...

In another 15 years lard and bacon will have its healthy sides too, I just ignore everyone who is saying different till then :)

Do you have the chance to try gruenkern at your places?

Chattius -

Yeah.. Kraut does, kind of... If you read the page I linked to, however, there's warnings on keeping limits to the amount of those you consume. Might be a good idea to check with your doctor first.

Gruenkern - I'm thinking this is something unique to Germany. Spelt appears to be available throughout Europe, however... I don't believe I've ever seen either here in the U.S.

gogo

Gogo -

I think you missed the point.. Starch (Rice) + Starch (Legumes/beans) = bad juju for diabetics...

Starches get converted into sugar - and that means skyrocketing blood sugar levels.

If you want fiber in your diet, you would be better off with stuff like Cruciferous veggies. You might be asking just WTH are those... Those are ANY vegetable that grows leaves that resemble like a cross. Namely things like Celery, Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, the various members of the lettuce family, etc... A full list can be had on the link I provided.

These veggies also have the side effect of making internal gas... But then again, if you're eating lots of beans/legumes, that's likely not too much of a problem... :D

Actually for me, legumes are a major part of my diet, and have helped me control diabetes.

When I first got the diagnosis two years back, my blood sugar was sky rocketing, and I did a ton of reading.

Beans, legumes, more beans... these have become a staple of my life. Rice sky rockets the sugar...

Check out the horribly high glycemic index of rice and other starchy foods!

...but the glycemic index of legumes is so good (low) ...

(Check out the awesomely low GI rating of legumes!)

that when I combine it with no good diabetic foods like rice, or high starch-too-easy-to-digest-foods, it keeps the spikes level ( I have to test and record my blood sugar levels three times per day )With my rice dishes now, I usually add lentils, beans, or chick peas to maintain as flat a level as possible. I actually don't want to eat too much rice, it's super high on the list of most forbidden diabetic foods...but adding "stretchers" to it like the beans, or lentils, means

• I eat less rice
  • get filled faster
  • and get my "fix" for that rice need

The high fiber levels in the legumes are great for slow processing and can even help smooth out a forbidden chocolate spike every now and then. Legumes are not a fun, favorite, or perhaps easy part part of a diabetes fighting diet, but once the taste and timing is acquired (hello bowls and bowls of overnight soaking vats! :oooo) they are a godsend for getting full, getting fiber, getting protein instead of saturated fast, and staying fit with keeping our weight low...highly important for diabetics.

:)

gogo

p.s. all this research this morning, I found this awesome winner...gonna see if I can print it up for my wall to inspire to keep to the good stuff. I've been lax lately, and can just feel my overall wellness get lower if I'm not vigilant.

Top 10 Diabetes super foods

I'm not a fan of their processed cereals for one of the picks, I "get" higher fibre as advertised, but I'd rather just use an all grain cereal with lots less sugar, than let's say, raisin bran.

Gruenkern is a whole grain which can replace rice in risottos and other recipes. Same as normal spelt it is better than rice or wheat:

http://www.lesliebeck.com/ingredient_index.php?featured_food=116

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=143

A friend reported that Gruenkern is around 8$ per pound in america, about 5 times the price in germany :(

gruenkern-schafskaese.jpg

Gruenkern is a whole grain which can replace rice in risottos and other recipes. Same as normal spelt it is better than rice or wheat:

http://www.lesliebeck.com/ingredient_index.php?featured_food=116

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=143

A friend reported that Gruenkern is around 8$ per pound in america, about 5 times the price in germany :(

gruenkern-schafskaese.jpg

Hmm.. $8.00 a pound!? Wow... That's expensive considering I can get a 2 pound bag of regular rice for about $2.50... It might be good for a special occasion - but it doesn't sound like it's something that can be a regular part of the diet.

Then again, I don't think I've ever come across any... Which is kind of odd, if you think about it.. California has this reputation for hippy dippy organic healthy eating and such.

I did find one place online that sells Spelt (non-organic) for about $6.75 for a 5 pound bag... They don't seem to have Gruenkern though... I did come across a couple of sites that sell Gruenkern - in an 8.5 ounce package (a bit over 1/2 pound) for about $5... Ouch... That'd make it more like almost $10 a pound. I think I'm going to have to check out the local Whole Foods store and see if they have any. Hopefully, if they do, it'll be a bit less expensive.

Actually for me, legumes are a major part of my diet, and have helped me control diabetes.

When I first got the diagnosis two years back, my blood sugar was sky rocketing, and I did a ton of reading.

Beans, legumes, more beans... these have become a staple of my life. Rice sky rockets the sugar...

Check out the horribly high glycemic index of rice and other starchy foods!

...but the glycemic index of legumes is so good (low) ...

(Check out the awesomely low GI rating of legumes!)

that when I combine it with no good diabetic foods like rice, or high starch-too-easy-to-digest-foods, it keeps the spikes level ( I have to test and record my blood sugar levels three times per day )With my rice dishes now, I usually add lentils, beans, or chick peas to maintain as flat a level as possible. I actually don't want to eat too much rice, it's super high on the list of most forbidden diabetic foods...but adding "stretchers" to it like the beans, or lentils, means

• I eat less rice
  • get filled faster
  • and get my "fix" for that rice need

The high fiber levels in the legumes are great for slow processing and can even help smooth out a forbidden chocolate spike every now and then. Legumes are not a fun, favorite, or perhaps easy part part of a diabetes fighting diet, but once the taste and timing is acquired (hello bowls and bowls of overnight soaking vats! :oooo) they are a godsend for getting full, getting fiber, getting protein instead of saturated fast, and staying fit with keeping our weight low...highly important for diabetics.

gogo

p.s. all this research this morning, I found this awesome winner...gonna see if I can print it up for my wall to inspire to keep to the good stuff. I've been lax lately, and can just feel my overall wellness get lower if I'm not vigilant.

Top 10 Diabetes super foods

I'm not a fan of their processed cereals for one of the picks, I "get" higher fibre as advertised, but I'd rather just use an all grain cereal with lots less sugar, than let's say, raisin bran.

Interesting link gogo. I need to eat more yogurt it seems...

Delta!

Yoghurt is huge part of my every day! :bounce: I look for it on sale, never get it for more than 4.99 for a pack of 12. I always get sugar free ones, dont care so much about the fat, as this is the "sweet" part of my day I look forward to after my lunch.

gogo

If we buy yogurt; 12 Yogurts with fruit pieces is like 13pounds and is 7.80Euro. So a glas is one pound ... 5 kids ;)

1194570.jpg

15 cent return money for the glas,so way less waste at home.

Make Yogurt yourself:

I have a breeding machine for eggs. If it is not in use, it is ideal to make selfmade yogurt. Mix milk and fruits, add a tea spoon from already made yogurt, close the glas and in the breeder, You can also buy yogurt bacteria cultures at a drugstore.

There are yogurt makers in the stores, but I see no advantage to my egg breeding machine.

Our second (12 year old) is the yoghurt maker and breeds quails, oldest is fruit chips maker,... No need to it it all myself. If we do yogurt ourself it is like 10 pounds each time. So it is not a daily routine. My sleep time is 4hours, 40 minutes a day for 2 decades now.

My sleep time is 4hours, 40 minutes a day for 2 decades now.

So lucky!

I've always wished I could get away with less... do you know that sleeping less is kind of like extended years of active life if you feel you are being productive?

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

... do you know that sleeping less is kind of like extended years of active life if you feel you are being productive?

Extended years of work, would it be better for playing Sacred2?

Anyhow, I think the following recipe is probably best placed here. Same as a rice cooker creates more healthy rice because the minerals which went into the water remain in the pot instead being poured away, this is a way to boil potatoes keeping all the water.

Bouillon-potatoe

The idea is quite simple. Cut potatoe into something with a big surface to volume shape: Chips, sticks, .... Boil a clear vegetable broth (removing bigger parts with a sieve). Now a bit butter, roast some fine cut onions, add the broth and the potatoe pieces. Boil till all the water is gone and all the aroma into the ṕotatoe. Stop before the potatoe are (too much) burning/roasting. Now you see the problem: constant watching of the pan. Automatic boiling as with a rice cooker would be nice. I did 5 different approaches to solve this problem, but no optimal solution yet, except a 600 euro approach :(

Using the thermo sensor from my company, attaching a mini bluetooth interface to the induction cooking plate of a minio oven, and remote stopping the boiling when the steam temperature drops, meaning all free water in the broth gone.

Our third and me like them slightly roasted...

bouillonkartoffeln.jpg

rest of family prefers still a bit creamy outside

mid_4c62df491d05a.jpg

Idea of bouillon potatoe is a bit like at the rice: keep the taste and minerals at the potatoe

A very nice recipe, Chattius, it's kind of like a potatoe risotto, and even thought I don't make them often, roast potatoes is one of my favourite flavors

gogo