Guild Wars 2 - Recruiting

Now that we are several days past release, I think things have stabilized enough to talk about recruiting. I am just thinking out loud here, hoping to spark some good discussion on this topic.

How intense do we want to be at recruiting? As I see it, there are about three broad categories.

1. The most intense would involve spreading propaganda and actively looking for members in game. This would most likely require a dedicated recruiter, a position that I am not willing and able to hold. I would however, gladly post said propaganda on various GW2 sites.

2. A slightly less aggressive approach would simply keep an eye out for likely candidates in game to invite.

3. The last option would be completely passive and let potential recruits come to us.

How do we want to decide who to admit? My suggestion would be to create a new rank, New Member. Any officer can send guild invites. After a set period, a New Member can become a Member by the vote of x member( at least y must be officers) who have played with the New Member.

Anyone who was a member of Darkmatters before GW2 release would automatically be entitled to full membership in the guild.

From my viewpoint, I don't think we should go with 1, but not really with 3 either. I think we should take a casual approach as Kiyeri stated and that is: if we run into somebody that we connect with and think would be an asset to the guild and appears to adhere to our expectations in conduct then sure, ask them if they want to join! I see a lot of players not representing a guild and it would be great to get a few members on the EU time zone.

If we choose #1... Active recruiting means that all officers and even members need to actively recruit at all times. If you do something with someone, or even speak to someone you ask if they want to join. A general rule of thumb is that 1 out of ever 20-25 people invited will stay. Not only that, you then open your self up for management of those new random people. I'd say somewhere around 15-20 of those new people that randomly answerd a shout or post that are greedy and selfish, guild hop to see what they can scam and move on, or are unable to behave themselves. You will need to put your personal feelings about the guild members aside, because obviously your not going to like everyone in your guild. I for one don't want to spend all my play time recruiting, helping and managing...

If we choose #2...We invite friends, people we happen to stumble across we like, people that happen to join us on adventures, and we grow from reputation of being a fun, safe, active guild. Members that bring their friends tend to be responsible for their behavior, and things generally are smooth. Personally, I would rather have a smallish guild of people I enjoy playing with. This is where I would like to see us be.

If we choose #3... Id be ok with this, but if we go this route I would think that any member of DM prior to GW2 going live should be able to invite new players, be responsible for those new players. They don't have to be officers, but should take responsibility for those that they personally invite, while the officers oversee the guild as a whole. I they can't invite I don't believe we would do much growing.

If we choose #3... Id be ok with this, but if we go this route I would think that any member of DM prior to GW2 going live should be able to invite new players, be responsible for those new players. They don't have to be officers, but should take responsibility for those that they personally invite, while the officers oversee the guild as a whole. I they can't invite I don't believe we would do much growing.

Brilliant!

I have created a new rank of Darkmatters and moved all of the current members there. That rank has the ability to invite new members. So everyone feel free to invite anyone you believe deserves to be an adopted member of the GW2 branch of the Darkmatters family.

Because I am a member of another clan I only offer my comments for consideration...not for implementation.

Option 1..This is a good option for a guild that will be focused on PvP. During the time I have played I have been spammed by guilds actively recruiting for PvP.

GW2 is an excellent game for PvP due to the way it handles levels. Everyone in PvP is equal...it's just how you choose your skills and how your party setup is constructed determines how well you do.

So recruiting people for PvP shouldn't be a problem...if your guild is rated high.

But as far as I am aware Dark is not focused on PvP?

Option 2.... We all want decent people in our group. So it's only natural that we would want people that we meet in game who seem okay to join. But atm, I think most players are feeling their way around the game learning all its intracies. Not many free players are focusing on partying or guilds nor does the game require you need to be in one in low levels.

So it could be hard getting a free player to even answer your request to join a guild.

Option 3...the same approach our clan seems to take. We are not actively recruiting people atm, though new members are always welcome. We don't spam the chat asking for new members. Most of our clan players players will probably ask someone who they have partied up with and enjoyed their time with if they want to join a guild and only then suggest our clan.

You guys at DARK are always welcome to join anything Clan DA are doing in Guild Wars..and any other game for that matter.

Disclaimer: I am not an officer in the Clan DA guild and all my comments are purely my own. :bye:

Ok I am confused (shush I know its nothing new).

Did we go with #2, or with #3.... or did we throw it all to the wind and choose a bit of 2 & 3?

LOL, I'm just giving my usual hard time...

A little bit of 2 and 3 I guess, with all the Darkmatters crew having invite privileges.