Who killed video games?

Well.. I can understand where they're kinda coming from. How they WANT their games to work and how they expect to make money on it. BUT...

I say 75% of the "fun" of these games - like Farmville - is to figure out how to get things done WITHOUT having to spend a dime on the game.

I've kinda been suckered into the Farmville grind for just about a year now. To date, I've spent a grand total of ZERO in real hard currency on the game. I've got more farm coins than I can possibly spend in the game. I've also got over 500 FV$ (Farm Cash - the premium stuff). I've also probably spent at least 100 FV$ in game on various activities.

How'd I do it? Simple. I found out what sort of things made money, and invested the resources I had into those things. I avoided temptation to buy the new "shiny" simply because I knew that it would tarnish within a week and be replaced by the next new must have "shiny"...

It also helps to report any one of numerous bugs in the game to customer un-support. I think Dogbert (of Dilbert fame) runs their tech support department. 99% of the time - the support reps will throw you a bone with the hope you'll go away. "Here, have a wad of Farm Cash, some critter or other, a tree and some stuff... Now be a good boy and run along". The other 1% of the time, they will actually fix things - if they can OR at least take a report and file it in the pile of bug reports (which are likely shredded and recycled before anyone reads or does anything useful with them).

And there are numerous bugs... More bugs than a skid row roach motel. How does this happen? In order to keep the money machine rolling in cash (real cash in this instance), they have to create the new theme of the week by introducing new trees, new critters, new buildings, new decorations, etc.. And they need to add new quests.

It's like building a house of cards, all of which works fine until you get to the point where you've gotten too many cards stacked up and the whole shebang collapses due to the weight. Many times what should be simple fixes wind up being ignored.

There are also times when the developers (who, IMHO, failed 3rd grade math) introduce elements into the game that have truly unrealistic goals - ones they figure people will be happy to spend FV$ on to get around. They're wrong. People can and most certainly WILL complain until Zynga fixes the problem.

So why do people keep playing? Many don't. Many times people drop off. They get fed up with the nonsense. But the sad thing is, for every ONE person who quits, there seems to be 2 more ready to take their place. Go figure...

But are Video Games dead? Nope. As soon as Sacred 3 is out, I'm SO gonna be there.

Interesting take on it Wolfie. I didn't read it that way, I took it from the approach of playing GW2 and such MMO's... and the FTP's seem to get you hooked and then after you have played a bit you think, well I don't pay a monthly fee to play this, I can afford $7 for 20 more storage spots... and so on until your paying more then you would if you paid a monthly fee. BUT.. there are those of us who refuse to pay real money too.