XCOM Enemy Unknown

The original X-COM was released in 1994 and has become a cult classic amongst Turn Based Strategy gamers.

There have been quite a few games released since then trying to replicate X-COMS brilliance but none have matched the original.

However this remake is great and deserves to be graded as the spiritual successor to the original.

I also love how they have adapted the game to suit a new generation of gamers, including console players.

I have the pc version and I'm really enjoying the game.

I lost a whole day just doing three missions.

Not for a long, long time have I played a game where I was so involved in every decision I was forced to make.

It was pure agony for me, when one of my little dudes followed my orders, only to meet his maker at the end of a laser blast.

But it was jubilation when my sniper managed to save my veteran assault soldier with a head shot to an alien with only a 38% chance to hit.

The tactical side of this game really shines.

I've had to wimp out and play the game on easy as it is really a brutal game on the higher difficulties, especially in Ironman mode (one save...no reload).

Any one else playing?

I might eventually get it, when prices come down a bit, or when there's a nice sale on Steam. Having so much to play, so not really interested to invest on another full-priced games atm.

I was somewhat uneasy about this reboot, as I've been fan of the first two X-Coms and spent a whole lotta time in both. And seeing couple of other oldies getting dumbed down sequels, etc. Namely Syndicate...

• 3 months later...

I enjoyed it, had it on preorder for 2 months before it came out ( yes on steam :P ) and the best way to enjoy this game is play it like a new game :)

dont expect everything you had in the original, its definitely dumbed down a bit however not in its AI... the enemies are brutal and you will have to be prepared to loose a soldier or 2.. or 3 ... or 4 ... on a single mission. it still has the original story line more or less, and there is even some base building involved, not as much as one would like but there is some :)

The problem I found is that whilst it's a truly good game to play, certainly worthy of owning, it loses it's charm after completing it. I know they are trying to make the replay-ability better with things like their Second Wave options they are adding in, but at the end of the day it's hard to escape the repetitiveness of the missions. Even the maps repeat on themselves! I know they changed it slightly from the original to focus on the tactic side of the game and pulled away from more complex stats on soldiers which worked to an extent, but in doing so and coupled with not having randomly generated maps they lost the same replay-ability of the original.