Guild Wars 2 - New high-end gear

I am sad that less than three months after release Anet has gone back on their word and are implementing a gear treadmill.

I am also disappointed that it looks like the crafting disciplines that I worked so hard on will soon be worthless.

I am sad that less than three months after release Anet has gone back on their word and are implementing a gear treadmill.

I am also disappointed that it looks like the crafting disciplines that I worked so hard on will soon be worthless.

I don't think they'll be completely pointless. They'll still be useful for the lower levels, and for those who'd like to prove they can beat the game with "budget" gear.

Could you explain more about that "gear treadmill"?

At lower levels, crafted items almost always cost more than just buying the same equipment.

By "gear treadmill", I mean like an arms race. The devs keep releasing new, more powerful gear, and players have to grind for it to stay competitive. IMO, that goes against one of the core principles ANet used to market GW2.

At lower levels, crafted items almost always cost more than just buying the same equipment.

By "gear treadmill", I mean like an arms race. The devs keep releasing new, more powerful gear, and players have to grind for it to stay competitive. IMO, that goes against one of the core principles ANet used to market GW2.

Maybe I read it incorrectly, but the new gear is supposed the be the same thing, expect than upgrades are now part of the base stats, so that the upgrade slot can be used as a protection against new game challenges to make the game harder (game was way too easy for a lot of people).

The standard ring in the example gives:

+63 Power

+63 Precision

+7% MF

The new ring gives:

+68 Power

+68 Precsision

+10% MF

Plus the new ring gives defense against the new damage type.

True, it feels like the upgrade is now part of the base stat, just like I said. I'm pretty sure the new damage type will only be useful in specific dungeon for now.

The new gear has higher stats. That alone is enough to render all existing gear second-rate. On top of that, only the new gear provides protection against the new damage type. That means you must have it to run the new content.

That means you must have it to run the new content.

For now. We'll wait and see how ANet explains this whole thing after all the hate I just read on Guildwars2guru forums.

Looks like ANet heard the outcry:

Our Studio Design Director Chris Whiteside just posted this:

“I’d like to respond to concerns players have raised about ascended items. Please keep in mind that we’re releasing this as one portion of a massive November update that introduces and improves many aspects of challenge, progression, and rewards. With this and upcoming updates, we view ourselves as introducing large amounts of content with supporting systems and features, akin to an expansion pack, building on Guild Wars 2 through a series of live releases. So it’s important for us to be able to add an expansion pack’s worth of progression and rewards to support that content.

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. PvP will remain unaffected to ensure our intended PvP balance going forward. We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features. As you know we care very much about your support and opinion and are listening intently to what you say.

Finally we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upcoming content, and we will ensure we share our thoughts with you on the experiences we share in the Lost Shores."

Chris Whiteside – Studio Design Director

Only time will tell what this means, and whether they kill crafting like the original statement seemed to imply.

Hmm only one day away and already im missing stuff. I hope we dont constantly have to change our gear, I have already spent a fortune on mine, and I hate having to constantly change it. I ahve already changed gear way more thime then I ever would in other games.

So far I have only used the gear that I have found charging heedlessly around the world or been give by one of our band of merry men (and damsel). I plan on attempting to continue that course or at least until I start getting mauled everytime I turn around. :viking:

I think this change will mostly affect max level characters, since I imagine that is when most people start optimizing their gear. Personally, I spent over 33gp plus a significant number of skill points and Mystic Coins on my gear, which was supposed to be top tier (everything else was cosmetic). Now ANet comes along and says (more or less) "we were only kidding, can't believe you fell for that". I feel a certain degree of angst is justified.

I think this change will mostly affect max level characters, since I imagine that is when most people start optimizing their gear. Personally, I spent over 33gp plus a significant number of skill points and Mystic Coins on my gear, which was supposed to be top tier (everything else was cosmetic). Now ANet comes along and says (more or less) "we were only kidding, can't believe you fell for that". I feel a certain degree of angst is justified.

Given the costs that you state, I can understand you and the Damsel beinging a bit miffed at the changes.

Okay so I finally got to save enough gold to buy a Superior Rune of the Dolyak for my build. But this new gear tier got me worried on if I should still buy those runes.

Okay so I finally got to save enough gold to buy a Superior Rune of the Dolyak for my build. But this new gear tier got me worried on if I should still buy those runes.

Tough question. If all of the new gear follows the pattern of the rings and back pieces, runes will be obsolete. Trouble is, they have not said when the armor will be available. You might want to try and hold off as long as possible before buying runes. I would at least wait until after this weekend to see how the new items actually work.