Questions for new return and setup of SacredWiki

We've just hired a bevy of elves to help us out with the restructuring of wiki

These elves are very hungry and keep asking for raises, but are proving to be dilligent l'il things

Anyone got an extra whip?

:whip:

gogo

lol

we're actually now in a bit of a battle with another site trying to steal our Wiki's content. We'll be issuing them a DMCA take down tomorrow. Schot's looking to get us going again as soon as he can, yeah, I'm getting excited too.

:)

gogo

They've also ripped my videos (and Combat Art ones) which I've only given the rights to SacredWiki for.

I'll file a separate DMCA with Wikia when you guys have filed yours. Please let me know when you've done that.

Edit: Actually, it does fall under the domain of SacredWiki, so I think your request should be sufficient for having it removed also.

Edited by Mystix123

lol

we're actually now in a bit of a battle with another site trying to steal our Wiki's content. We'll be issuing them a DMCA take down tomorrow. Schot's looking to get us going again as soon as he can, yeah, I'm getting excited too.

gogo

THE HEATHEN SCUM! It's not only they ripped off the content - they ripped off the background theme as well! I say a DCMA notice is too nice for them. Hang 'em from the yardarm! Stretch 'em on the rack! Skin 'em alive! :pirate:

Tho in all fairness... The delay in getting the wiki back on line may have given the barstewards the idea the content was abandoned and given the new life Sacred 2 is getting on Steam - there IS a need for it.

All is not lost. They don't even have the lore correct.

The Seraphim were once chosen by the Gods to protect Ancaria from danger and disaster.

If you've played through the main quest line a few times, you might recall that Sophia, when you meet her at the tower says the gods of Ancaria (Lumen, Kuan, Ker, Forens, Kybele and Testa) are all aspects of the Creator. Ergo, the gods came AFTER the Creator left Ancaria. This isn't even my stuff.. This is in the game.

Edited by wolfie2kX

Thanks guys for all the support! This amazing wiki is again in our hands, Mystix generously donated his time to help us send in a few DMCA take downs, drafted all the copies, and researched the links (yes Wikia is a pain)

Wikia has now wiped all the content off their servers, and we've back to being to get the dbase back in order at home here at DarkMatters.

Call out for Mystix, thank you Justin!

:hugs:

gogo

Just an update on what's happening.

With Wikia now downed and not have the copy pasted content anymore (Thanks Justin!) schot was able to put a lot of time into a deeper analysis of what it's going to take to get the Wiki back up.

What's happened is that our php version we're using for the wiki is 5.2, and MDD Hosting, has upgraded to 5.3. We need our environment to be a 5.2 just for a wee while, and then try to upgrade the wiki to latest version, and then use it on 5.3 php servers.

We've asked our hoster and attempted to escalate to see if he can provide for us this temporary "haven", but he won't add it to our server for us, as he says since we're using Shared hosting, it's overly complicated and can impact others.

He's offered for us to rent a vps for this for a month, but at 50.00 plus 20 percent off, we find it unreasonable, as he won't allow the charge to be pro rated.

So, we have been searching last few days and continue to shop for good value, and have found some mass site hosting that for lesser price will allow us to change the version of PHP in the environment, and we think this can work and is reasonable.

For now, Schot is (Course Schot always has wild ideas and inspiration! :bounce:) trying to put in some time to create a virtual environment/hosting on his own computer here at home, to see if a php change can be effected this way to help us update the Wiki which is a number of versions behind.

That's the news! thanks for waiting this out with us, we're getting there.

gogo

Dark Creations has a wiki software. Dan Ran (aka Xae) might be willing/able to do that for you. He runs a business in England hosting web and related services and keeps DC as a part of it.

It's entirely possible that he can come up with a solution for you at a reasonable cost that would be completely separate from DC.

• Like! 1

Thanks for the offer Cathleen :) We're really looking to keep the wiki on our servers with all the other sacred stuff though, and there will be even more coming in soon. It's mostly the reason why we never considered letting someone else host the wiki, because it's so personal and is connected to everyone we know in our gaming history.

We will find a way!

:dance:

gogo

I'm kind of confused... Isn't the 5.3 software backwards compatible to 5.2...?

Good grief.. I just checked the web - seems 5.3 is on it's last legs and the latest version is now 5.5... Might want to find out what the hosting company's plans are for upgrading to the newer version...

I'm kind of confused... Isn't the 5.3 software backwards compatible to 5.2...?

Unfortunately, we need the php that the wiki was created with to be able to update it to latest version.

gogo

Unfortunately our particular host doesn't provide control over PHP versions whereas other lesser hosts do... A thorn in my side at the moment. For now I'm trying to see if I can get a virtual environment working on my pc. The environment is set up and operational but now I need to create a virtual domain name to mimic the sacredwiki.org domain and trick my computer into looking at the sacredwiki site stored on my pc when I browse to sacredwiki.org. We have quite a complicated wiki and getting all the details "just so" is taking quite a bit of time and research. On the plus side I have managed to "see" the sacredwiki live from my pc which is exciting. It's a bit broken at the moment when I view it but it's all in there. Somewhere... Just gotta get all the wires and doohickeys set up properly.

Have you tried modifying the HOSTS file? Seems to me IIRC, you can trick your computer into reading one DNS response and having it go elsewhere - like your own computer. In other words - you set it to look at www.sacredwiki.org and have it go to 127.0.0.1 (which is your computer)...

Great research wolfie, Yup! That much is done. Tricking my pc is quite tricky I'm learning. :) I've got the ball rolling now so I'll start a new topic about my progress. Maybe you guys can help me with the obstacles I run into as I post them.

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/21211-reviving-sacredwiki-looking-for-help/

No real research needed actually... I've known about the HOSTS thing for quite a number of years. Spybot S&D - a product I've used for quite a long time - uses that trick to prevent your system from being sidetracked to a bad domain where it can get infected. They call it "inoculating" your system...