Poutine Madness Strikes S. California...

wolfie2kX

I was flipping through some links on Facebook and came across a link which then led me to another link... And quite frankly, I could feel my arteries clogging just looking at some of the pictures. But this pic caught my eye... And I read the description - and it sure sounded familiar - sort of.

post-14586-0-41606600-1360630421_thumb.jpg

Anvil Fries: Fries covered in Cheese Curds, Duck Confit, Duck Gravy, and Cracklin's...

If it smells like a duck, walks like a duck and is covered in duck - is it still a Poutine..?

Oh yah, The burger.. That's the Paul Baloff: Swiss Cheese, Pastrami, Fried Egg, Dijon & a Pickle!

The pic in question can be found here.

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1

Er.. Poo? No..

From Wikipedia:

Duck confit (French: confit de canard French pronunciation: ​[kɔ̃.fi d(ə) ka.naʁ]) is a French dish made with the leg of the duck. While it is made across France, it is seen as a speciality of Gascony. The confit is prepared in a centuries-old process of preservation that consists of salt curing a piece of meat (generally goose, duck, or pork) and then poaching it in its own fat.

To prepare a confit, the meat is rubbed with salt, garlic, and sometimes herbs such as thyme, then covered and refrigerated for up to 36 hours. Salt-curing the meat acts as a preservative.

So basically, it's a pickled duck leg that's been boiled in it's own oil.

I was flipping through some links on Facebook and came across a link which then led me to another link... And quite frankly, I could feel my arteries clogging just looking at some of the pictures. But this pic caught my eye... And I read the description - and it sure sounded familiar - sort of.

Anvil Fries: Fries covered in Cheese Curds, Duck Confit, Duck Gravy, and Cracklin's...

If it smells like a duck, walks like a duck and is covered in duck - is it still a Poutine..?

Oh yah, The burger.. That's the Paul Baloff: Swiss Cheese, Pastrami, Fried Egg, Dijon & a Pickle!

The pic in question can be found here.

LOL

ew... er lol?

It loox like a scene from a SAW movie!

:oooo:

gogo

I don't know how waste is handled at your place. Here it is sorted and you have to pay a waste fee depending on weight. The 8th year in series we have no biological waste. My grandparents learned the hard way to use up nearly everything of an animal or a veg.

So yes I ate duck-feet, mainly following a recipe from Pommern (famous for its geese breeding). Only thing I found no recept yet: the uropygial gland. But you can at least use it to put an oil layer on your saws to prevent rusting.

Around 6pm we will do an 'Errrwessupp met Soifois' - local slang for 'Erbsensuppe mit Scheinsfüßchen' = 'pea soup with pig feet'. Ah yes got 3 young boars last night :)

Pig feet contain a lot of gelatine so the soup is nearly not liquid anymore. If there are leftovers you can even wait a day and you have a jelly like mass which you can cut in dices and lay on bread.

Sounds good... Kinda reminds me of a Southern variation of Split Pea soup.. The main difference - the split peas kind of dissolve after cooking so it becomes kinda like well.. the stuff used to make the vomit in the original Exorcist. The ham hocks are also smoked to add flavor to the soup.

That gelatin is also used in making something called Head Cheese... How the name came about - I'm not sure. But it's basically bits of cooked meat bound together with gelatin..

And of course, the gelatin is also used to make one of the world's favorite desserts - Jell-O!

We have Presskopf and Kopfsülze.

Kopf(Head) is removed from its flesh, which is mixed with other meat. If the mix is pressed into the bladder and then boiled and smoked it is a Presskopf.

If gelatine is mixed to the mix and put in a form to harden we call it Kopfsülze:

2827010000000_s_1.jpg

Yup... That's a head cheese all right...

Oh.. and I'm not sure who exactly coined the phrase - but it has to do with minimizing waste from pigs - it basically says you use "Everything but the Squeal" (Or 'oink', depending on the variation.)

Pork is good stuff - GREAT eating.. :chef: Good thing some religions ban it.. Leaves more for the rest of us!

Edited by wolfie2kX

In my area cows were used for field work. plows, pulling waggons, milk, ... To valuable to eat them if not too old. So lot of recipes how to soften old meat.

Till worldwar 2 there was a local pig race, wooly,could live in bad weather, ... They were more or less running free in the forest pieces which were used to make charcoal and tanning acid.

Even the squeal is used: google for pig squeals and grindcore.